• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
So Tom Latham apparently had a franchise T20 contract. This is the moment I consider international cricket officially on life support.
Yeah, this is an defining sign of the zeitgeist. In 20 years' time, we will remember we knew the game was truly headed in the wrong direction when Tom Latham became a franchise T20 player.

RMBolton

U19 Debutant
In fairness to ol' Tommy Latham, you can't expect him to sit at home in Christchurch twiddling his thumbs through the winter until the Afghanistan Test, whenever & wherever that is. Gotta blow off the cobwebs somewhere, & if some team in Canada is so desperate they want him, then hey.

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Lathams not THAT bad at t20 is he? Swear I've seen him make runs in the super smash whenever he appears.
Nah he's not, in fact I was advocating that he should play in T20 World events and series' in the sub-continent not that long ago. I don't blame him either (Canada or Christchurch in July...I know which ticket I'm buying) but I guess you pine for the days where if our long-time Test opener (and possible captain) averaged 23 over 12 innings in our summer, he'd be working furiously and solely on that.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah he's not, in fact I was advocating that he should play in T20 World events and series' in the sub-continent not that long ago. I don't blame him either (Canada or Christchurch in July...I know which ticket I'm buying) but I guess you pine for the days where if our long-time Test opener (and possible captain) averaged 23 over 12 innings in our summer, he'd be working furiously and solely on that.
Is latham gonna miss any PS and/or test cricket for nz to play in this league?

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
He wouldn't be allowed to as per his central contract, and also has a finger injury so couldn't play in the league, anyway. But no, the Canadian league starts tomorrow by the looks and runs for three weeks - our next game I think (I can't find any specific mention of the date) is in September v Afghanistan?

RMBolton

U19 Debutant
Sure, but you can only do so much in the Hadlee Centre or Lincoln. He could've tried to get a county gig to blow off the cobwebs, but the county schedule is so chaotic, & I'm not sure what's happening when The Hundred is on.

Nah, it's completely off-season, & doesn't clash with any assignments. He would've been fine had he not got injured.

Speaking of which, the Afghanistan Test has been announced. The venue is somewhere in India.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Sure, but you can only do so much in the Hadlee Centre or Lincoln. He could've tried to get a county gig to blow off the cobwebs, but the county schedule is so chaotic, & I'm not sure what's happening when The Hundred is on.

Nah, it's completely off-season, & doesn't clash with any assignments. He would've been fine had he not got injured.

Speaking of which, the Afghanistan Test has been announced. The venue is somewhere in India.
Sounds like they have a pretty reasonable set up at Lincoln nowadays, from what I hear. A marquee set up over one of the ovals, which can be tailored to certain pitch conditions and trained on all year round?

jcas0167

International Debutant
Sounds like they have a pretty reasonable set up at Lincoln nowadays, from what I hear. A marquee set up over one of the ovals, which can be tailored to certain pitch conditions and trained on all year round?
That sounds fantastic. It seemed quite a big deal in the 90's when they set an academy at Lincoln following the success Australia had churning out top players from their academy. I don't think it ever worked out as well though and if anything set back a number of bowlers with the concrete surface.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
That sounds fantastic. It seemed quite a big deal in the 90's when they set an academy at Lincoln following the success Australia had churning out top players from their academy. I don't think it ever worked out as well though and if anything set back a number of bowlers with the concrete surface.
Yep, the Ashley Ross years. A family member was a part of that academy (he played for NZ U20s in the years of Cairns, Harris and co) - came in bowling 140km + outswings, left bowling 130km in-swingers...but that was only on the days he could get on the park, given it completely ****ed his back and his career.

RMBolton

U19 Debutant
Wonder what excuse Stead will trot out when we inevitably lose
Afghanistan is a crap Test team. They got hammered by Ireland earlier this year (albeit Rashid Khan wasn't there, but having him in there won't improve them a lot). Frankly, anything less than an innings win would be an embarrassment.

TheBrand

First Class Debutant
I'd be very surprised if Latham was made ODI captain, Santner seemingly the go-to in T20 when KW/Southee not available and surely those 2 aren't around next ODI WC (maybe KW), would much prefer Santner.

thundaboult

International Debutant
Tbh though, whats so special or good about Mitch santner being captain? Great cricketer for us but is he leadership material? At this point I feel we need to get away from these boring dullard characters like williamson santner southee and stead for a bit. Phillips, or daz mitchell would be a positive minded choice as skip. The whole BC's setup needs a bit of excitement injected into, gosh its become so boring and senior citizen-lite. Stead out here larping as a 52 yo when he's clearly at least 76.

Last edited:

Skyliner

International 12th Man
Some video of Black Caps superstars Kane Williamson and Henry Nicholls training and making comments ahead of upcoming test matches. Also some comments from master coach Gary Stead -

jcas0167

International Debutant
Some video of Black Caps superstars Kane Williamson and Henry Nicholls training and making comments ahead of upcoming test matches. Also some comments from master coach Gary Stead -

What a great facility. Kane impressed by Mitch Hay.