• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Do we know what his motivations are? I'm not 100% a fan at all but has he actually made a statement anywhere as to why he turned it down?

Otherwise we're just slagging someone off based on our (probably right) presumptions, but they're still presumptions.
What could the motivations be that make it a credible decision? Honest question.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
yeah I'm not casting any aspersions as to his character, I just don't think leagues are going to have much patience with him if he doesn't deliver quickly. Which makes this a pretty big risk.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Worst case scenario he gets ~A$400,000 from the BBL alone. If it doesn't work out he can always return to play domestic cricket in NZ and make his case again for a future NZ contract.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
What could the motivations be that make it a credible decision? Honest question.
If he looks at how someone like Munro was treated (and Munro IMO is/was 100 x the cricketer Allen is) and making a choice between maybe being picked for the Black Caps, maybe not - or just cutting that out and following the money, you can sort of see it as financially being a credible decision.

It's either that or work hard to improve your game, so he's not.

ataraxia

International Coach
Why are people acting like allen hasnt worked hard? Hes got one of the highest powerplay SR in t20 history for guys who've faced more than 1000 balls, and he's doing that at a good average. You don't just do that at a young age by jerking it 24/7.
It's his face. And his hair.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Why are people acting like allen hasnt worked hard? Hes got one of the highest powerplay SR in t20 history for guys who've faced more than 1000 balls, and he's doing that at a good average. You don't just do that at a young age by jerking it 24/7.
Because he hasn't. No one is saying he masturbates all day. He has a significant amount of talent, that he hasn't worked hard for. It happens in sport. This isn't me saying it from my couch, I've heard it from people who see it. I've seen him playing golf numerous days in a row and drinking piss the day before pulling out of the Pakistan T20I series with a back injury.

Plenty of sports people make it that far on talent and physical gifts, but very few if none go to that next tier of bonafide great without earning it. He won't.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I really hope we have a new coach before the 4 test tour of Australia. If we lose that 4 zip with Stead at the helm I swear to god...

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think the quotes are all that bad (other than this one: “It’s not always the most comfortable decision to have to make and I guess my thought process was just ‘how can I progress my game, my goal of being the best in the world and the best I can be, how can I continue to grow that’?”) - more the case of a journalist putting plenty of mayo on the linking paragraphs (and the headline - whether that was Ritchie or the production journalist).

Still, **** him.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Is allen a bit thick in the head? Him playing franchise leagues isn't gonna suddenly make nz Cricket give him a casual contract. There only gonna give him that if he's valuable in formats beyond t20. Franchise Cricket isn't gonna make him a better ODI or test cricketer.

jcas0167

International Debutant

Man wants cake and to eat it, should have been the headline.

A lot of entitled, delusional quotes in there
He ultimately seems to realise he can't have that at this stage. One thing I wish they had asked was when he said his dream growing up was to play for the Black Caps did that include test cricket? That has generally been seen as the pinacle. Allen has a century against England in red ball cricket for a NZ XI. At what point did he decide to just focus on T20? Does he think other players no longer see test cricket as the main goal with all the T20 money on offer?

It’s just part of the job sometimes, a tough decision for sure and having one of those would’ve been easier for me, but I can’t expect to have both when I make a decision like that and I fully understand their reasoning.”