• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Yep, Golightly might mention Burt Sutcliffe going out to bat head bandaged to face Neil Adcock with Bob Blair who's fiancé had died in the Tangiwai disaster (I first learned of that amazing story from his night show).

Ron Snowden was superb on the domestic commentary (as were all those guys, Alan McLaughlin, Kevin Hart, Steve Davie). With that voice he could add real gravitas to a Cricket Max game. I picked up John McBeth's autobiography recently and Snowden features a bit.
Hahaha there's no doubt Doug would do that. I worked with Doug for a bit, absolute lunatic.

Those names you mentioned were all high class. Garth Galloway went well, I'm sure there's others I'm not thinking of.

We had it nailed in the 80s, 90s and early 00s, then we went and ****ed it all a bit.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Interesting. Meanwhile Andre Adams is doing a great job with the Bangladesh seamers.
Andre Adams is an absolute guru. I don't know this, but I wonder about whether his issues with the 'establishment' might be part of why he's not in the NZ fold. The NSW guys he had under him a few years ago - Cummins, Hazelwood, Starc etc - rave about him as a coach and a mentor.

I would say Andre is the best bowling coach in NZ, daylight is second, Shane Bond might be somewhere, then Shane Jurgensen is somewhere further down

jcas0167

International Debutant
Andre Adams is an absolute guru. I don't know this, but I wonder about whether his issues with the 'establishment' might be part of why he's not in the NZ fold. The NSW guys he had under him a few years ago - Cummins, Hazelwood, Starc etc - rave about him as a coach and a mentor.

I would say Andre is the best bowling coach in NZ, daylight is second, Shane Bond might be somewhere, then Shane Jurgensen is somewhere further down
Will O'Rourke gives Brendon Donkers a lot of praise for his development since coming down from Akl. One I was slightly surprised by was when Kyle Jamieson rated Heinrich Malan as making a big difference to his bowling.

Last edited:

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Will O'Rourke gives Brendon Donkers a lot of praise for his development since coming down from Akl. One I was slightly surprised by was when Kyle Jamieson rated Heinrich Malan as making a big difference to his bowling.

Not 100% if it was Malan but I remember Kyle saying it was as simple as telling him to run in harder and act like a fast bowler - he'd spent so many years as a plodding medium pacer he wasn't aware of the pace he was capable of.

Big_Gun

Cricket Spectator
I really rate O'Rourke, think he has potential to be word class. Was even getting the Aussie batsmen to jump around with his bounce and pace. Also despite being young he has played a lot of first class cricket. I'd keep him away from white ball cricket for now.

Also with Root getting his 33rd Test 100, just make me think what records Williamson could break if we played as much Tests as England/Aussie.
Hopefully Williamson can get his 33rd against Afghanistan, then 2 more in the Sri Lanka series and 1 or 2 against India

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
It's a pity his county season was cut short by a hamstring injury, but hopefully that means he'll be well rested by the time the NZ season rolls around.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I can't remember many instances of a completely uncapped player getting a central contract (maybe Conway or Wagner when they first became eligible?).

Obviously Smith should already have multiple games under his belt by now, but still.