• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Unpopular Opinions Thread

Jack1

International Debutant
You have to be a really, really mathematically challenged (and have a severe lack of common sense) to think that averages are somehow less if they are "boosted by not outs"
The point is Dhoni prefers to get the not out with a low SR. Many batsmen prefer getting out and maximising SR.

You need to make the most of the balls available. Dhoni doesn’t do that.

If you don’t understand then you are incredibly dumb.

He bats for himself, his average and not the team. Very mediocre player and his stats since 2006 in ODIs suggest he’s the most overrated odi player ever by a distance.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
You really don’t get cricket do you?

I find it hilarious that you can make such stupid comments and call others incredibly dumb.

Last edited:

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
Sunil Gavaskar is the 2nd greatest batsman of alltime.
No batsmen ever had a tougher job, opening for a weak team in an era of greatest of the pace bowlers.

Also greatest farewell performances of all time. In tests, in Fc and in Odis.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The point is Dhoni prefers to get the not out with a low SR. Many batsmen prefer getting out and maximising SR.

You need to make the most of the balls available. Dhoni doesn’t do that.

If you don’t understand then you are incredibly dumb.

He bats for himself, his average and not the team. Very mediocre player and his stats since 2006 in ODIs suggest he’s the most overrated odi player ever by a distance.
What did I say? I'm talking about not outs. Not SR.

I didn't even say you were wrong about Dhoni, I was talking specifically about not outs because the implication of your post about the relationship between not outs and average was outright wrong

trundler

Bradman, the ultimate batsman, said it best. Gavaskar was an excellent technician but too defensive. He was a fluent strokemaker and in the top 10 to have ever played but he was simply too defensive. If you want a draw he's your best bet though. Richards, Hobbs, Hutton, and Tendulkar would all be ashraf imo.

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
Bradman, the ultimate batsman, said it best. Gavaskar was an excellent technician but too defensive. He was a fluent strokemaker and in the top 10 to have ever played but he was simply too defensive. If you want a draw he's your best bet though. Richards, Hobbs, Hutton, and Tendulkar would all be ashraf imo.
Len Hutton was defensive too.

In Gavaskar's case, a draw was equivalent to a victory then. Its not his fault.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
My unpopular opinion: Something that is running right now in another thread. That there are cricketers of limited talent but did well beyond their ability. I don't believe in that. Everyone performs to his talent only. Nerves can may be not help them perform upto their talent. But no one can do it more than the talent he has.

trundler

My view is that talent is more of a head start than something that gets you all the way. You can possibly overcome the need for it by just working harder.

cnerd123

likes this
My view is that talent is more of a head start than something that gets you all the way. You can possibly overcome the need for it by just working harder.
People think of talent being something inherent, and the work you put in to make use of it as being within a person's control

I think the extent to which a person utlises their inherent talent, is, in of itself, a talent too.

Burgey

People think of talent being something inherent, and the work you put in to make use of it as being within a person's control

I think the extent to which a person utlises their inherent talent, is, in of itself, a talent too.
Ok

Wish you’d develop some talent for posting tbh.

Mr Miyagi

Banned

You're seriously conflating the meaning of words and phrases within the English language here.

Innate | Define Innate at Dictionary.com

innate is something inherent.

Talent | Define Talent at Dictionary.com

talent is a special natural ability. Yes it is innate, but its more specific. It is narrower.

Determination, motivation, dediciation, competivieness, or even hard work is not a special capacity, even when innate.

It may be a personal characteristic that is hugely deterministic of success, but please don't conflate the two. They are different concepts.

Last edited: