• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Unpopular Opinions Thread

Mr Miyagi

Banned
I'm not fussed over Buttler v Dhoni. Obviously Dhoni has the better career atm because of sheer volume but one can reasonably see Buttler going ahead to do better. I disagree with selecting him in an ATG XI but it's an imaginary XI who gives a **** really.

What I cannot fathom is how one can believe Dhoni was ordinary from 2005-2013
Noone would think Dhoni is ordinary. Ronchi is ordinary. Haddin is ordinary.

The question is likely more who is more extraordinary.

Some prefer Dhoni. Some prefer Buttler.

I myself, I prefer Buttler.

If Buttler keeps making runs, this will become a bigger issue in world cricket - it really has been blowing up since January of this year and its not going away as Buttler keeps on scoring, good debate imo :)

Last edited:

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Noone would think Dhoni is ordinary. Ronchi is ordinary. Haddin is ordinary.

The question is likely more who is more extraordinary.

Some prefer Dhoni. Some prefer Buttler.

I myself, I prefer Buttler.
Apologise to him if I'm wrong, but doesn't John think Dhoni was meh?

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Apologise to him if I'm wrong, but doesn't John think Dhoni was meh?
There's degrees of meh.

You'll have to ask for for the precise meh on a scale of Haddin/Ronchi to Buttler.

I certainly myself don't feel inclined to apologise for preferring Buttler's new age approach.

[edit] If Buttler keeps making runs, this will become a bigger issue in world cricket - it really has been blowing up since January of this year and its not going away as Buttler keeps on scoring, good debate imo

Last edited:

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Buttler himself probably won't agree with you guys picking him over Dhoni. Apparently the guy deals with pressure situations by imagining what Dhoni would do in such situations.

I was imagining what MS Dhoni would do in pressure situations, Jos Buttler speaks about his match-winning 110 | Latest News & Updates at Daily News & Analysis
I'm sure he does :)

This has nothing to do with the commercial realities of the global fan base that impact on IPL and endorsement deals at all.

Cricketers are living in a material world after all.

Last edited:

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
Wasim Akram greatest test cricketer of 90s
And
Greatest ever ODI cricketer.

Imran khan allrounder credentials over rated.

Sydney Barnes Greatest bowler ever.

trundler

Wasim Akram greatest test cricketer of 90s
And
Greatest ever ODI cricketer.

Imran khan allrounder credentials over rated.

Sydney Barnes Greatest bowler ever.
Wasim wasn't special after 96'. Greatest ODU cricketer is a respectably opinion though Viv has him beat IMO..Viv was the WG of ODI batting.

Khan's batting is perhaps overrated.

And if one takes era's into account, Barnes probably isn't even the greatest medium paced/brisk spinner. Tiger has him beat.

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
Wasim wasn't special after 96'. Greatest ODU cricketer is a respectably opinion though Viv has him beat IMO..Viv was the WG of ODI batting.

Khan's batting is perhaps overrated.

And if one takes era's into account, Barnes probably isn't even the greatest medium paced/brisk spinner. Tiger has him beat.
Your opinions sound very much popular.

Sachin odi career = a teenage wonder + a sensible Viv Richards

trundler

Yeah but this thread was to generate discussion.
Sachin came after Viv though. Doesn't negate Viv's impact. Plus, Viv was sensible enough. You mean to say relatively defensive. Viv has better stats which are even more impressive compared to his peers.

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
I was just joking.

I dont see much difference in Sachin and Viv's stats.
Sachin started early, and Since 94 his stats were comparable to that of Viv's, especially considering batting position, Team strength and bowling quality.
Add longevity, Sachin wins it narrowly.

Akram, Sachin, Viv, Dhoni, Kapil my odi top 5. In that order.

Stats of some other ODI batsmen during Viv career. (viv 47 at 90, 187 matches)

Kapil 26.3 at 100, 163 matches
Abbas 47 at 85, 60 matches
Malik 33 at 87, 125 matches
Loyd 40 at 81, 85 matches

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
It's a bit weird how in such a long and illustrious career I can only pinpoint a few iconic innings (Chennai knock, Pakistan 03 WC). Compare this with Viv, Lara, Mcgrath and of course the Don. Still the second greatest batsmen ever but like Bradman's mediocrity on sticky dogs, makes you question him for a bit.
Plenty of memorable knocks if you care to look.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I know we like to moan about Dhoni, and there's a lot of batsmen I'd take over him coming in at 220/4 after 38 overs, but he's been pretty good (albeit still a shadow of his former self) over the past year and a half.
No centuries outside subcontinent in ODI career big back blot imo.

TheJediBrah

Number 7s in Odis shouldn't be judged by their centuries
Not sure Dhoni batted that low most of the time tbf. Also batted in the top 4-5 a bit IIRC

but still your point is a good one. Outside of the top 4 centuries aren't generally that common unless your top order is garbage

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
He should have had one at least if not more. His ODI batting greatness outside subcontinent is a bit of a myth. I have seen people argue that so what if he wasn't great ouside Asia, he is still great. Well, it's a major blot, sorry. It affects when you compare with other great ODI players.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
- county cricket over all other forms of cricket.

This is an opinion that is only popular with that sole ''one old man and his dog'' I believe but I am earnest in my opinion that the county championship is the most glorious component of the English summer.

trundler

- county cricket over all other forms of cricket.

This is an opinion that is only popular with that sole ''one old man and his dog'' I believe but I am earnest in my opinion that the county championship is the most glorious component of the English summer.
Soon it'll be the 100.

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
Procter + van der bijl + le roux + Rice+ kourie

2nd greatest bowling attack ever. ??

And their Batting Avgs in FC
Rice 41
Procter 36
Kourie 34 plus
Le roux 25 plus
Bijl 16

trundler

I've come to believe Knott>Gilchrist since he averages 41 at 7 and was an immensely superior keeper. Whilst Gilchrist was clearly the superior bat, the difference in batting isn't that huge compared to the keeping difference which makes up for the former since a wicket is worth a lot more than 15 runs. Knott's hest also came in adverse circumstances which Gilly also bailed his team out of tbf. Though the problem is with Knott at 7 you have a guy that can hold an end and play second fiddle whereas Gilchrist can dominate though his explosiveness would come down a couple of notches in an ATG context. Knott is a step above Healy who was clearly superior to Gilly. Knott took some insane ones.
Also, O'Reilly> Warne. Better record against the best players of spin of his time in a batsman friendly era. Got closest to having the wood over Bradman. Great FC stats too.

Bolo

State Captain
I've come to believe Knott>Gilchrist since he averages 41 at 7 and was an immensely superior keeper. Whilst Gilchrist was clearly the superior bat, the difference in batting isn't that huge compared to the keeping difference which makes up for the former since a wicket is worth a lot more than 15 runs. Knott's hest also came in adverse circumstances which Gilly also bailed his team out of tbf. Though the problem is with Knott at 7 you have a guy that can hold an end and play second fiddle whereas Gilchrist can dominate though his explosiveness would come down a couple of notches in an ATG context. Knott is a step above Healy who was clearly superior to Gilly. Knott took some insane ones.
Also, O'Reilly> Warne. Better record against the best players of spin of his time in a batsman friendly era. Got closest to having the wood over Bradman. Great FC stats too.
Knott didn't keep to top spin though. I'm happy to rank him ahead of Gilchrist as a keeper, but by what distance given this question mark?