• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I honestly can't remember my exact reaction to his decision, but I remember there was a sense of regional pride after.
Believe it or not, most people don't remember who would have won or lost that match, now or 10 years from now. They do remember that BCL got back the record.
It might be a culture thing, I don't know. I do know that if any of Mark Taylor, Michael Clarke or David Warner didn't declare, or get declared on, in order to try and hit 400+ and it cost a win they would have been annihilated by fans and in the media. And rightly so.

kyear2

International Coach
It might be a culture thing, I don't know. I do know that if any of Mark Taylor, Michael Clarke or David Warner didn't declare, or get declared on, in order to try and hit 400+ and it cost a win they would have been annihilated by fans and in the media. And rightly so.
As I said, I don't recall my opinion or thoughts during the innings, or what the commentators or media were saying. But I'm sure that discussion was had, especially as to if it was selfish.

But if you want to label a batsman selfish for one single innings, that's a serious stretch.

I always personally believed Chanderpaul to be selfish and have never been a huge fan. Firstly for refusing to go up the order, especially when we had basically no one else and the responsibility should have been his. But also because if his slow batting and how he batted with the tail.

So think Kallis was as well, his scoring rate didn't always adapt to the state of the game..

But to hold this one innings to regain a record that some thought was cheapened by whom it was taken against, against him. Seems to be looking for a reason to downgrade him in your mind. ??‍♂

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Look there are no perfect stats but cricket is such a stat obsessed sport. Even 10 year olds want to work out their average. Everyone tries to manipulate stats to support/denigrate particular players and there's a certain nerdish fun about comparing great players in different ways through statsguru.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
The only reason the 400 game did not result in a win for Windies is Lara himself, but not because he scored 400 but because he dropped a sitter to reprieve Flintoff. The revisionist false BS of people who did not watch the game and had no idea how it played out calling it selfish is always fun to watch though.

Spark

Global Moderator
Clarke absolutely could have gone for the record and it wouldn't have been selfish at all. That game was literally only halfway done at that point. You don't need two and a half days to bowl a side out.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah Stephen Fleming declared with himself on 274* with NZ 7 down against SL back in 2003. We were probably never going to take 20 SL wickets over there on a road and it would've been nice for him to get NZ's 1st triple ton (after Crowe had got the 299) but he won respect by declaring. Some NZ fans and media wanted him to bat on though. BMac's 300 was different as that was saving a test from a big loss so he could bat and bat.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah Stephen Fleming declared with himself on 274* with NZ 7 down against SL back in 2003. We were probably never going to take 20 SL wickets over there on a road and it would've been nice for him to get NZ's 1st triple ton (after Crowe had got the 299) but he won respect by declaring. Some NZ fans and media wanted him to bat on though. BMac's 300 was different as that was saving a test from a big loss so he could bat and bat.
Amazing that Fleming only averaged 33ish in about a million tests at home but absolutely owned Murali in Sri Lanka.

TheJediBrah

Seems to be looking for a reason to downgrade him in your mind. ??‍♂
Honestly I was thinking the opposite about you. I think Chanderpaul, Kallis and even Sachin were more selfish players than Lara overall by a country mile. It was just that one innings that is indefensible and so blatant, I feel like you're trying really hard to find reasons to defend it.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Nah that's ridiculous. Literally threw away a possible, even likely, win for selfish reasons. Could even argue he only has the record because he's selfish rather than one of those guys that declared on 330+ who cared more about the team. Everyone calls Sachin selfish but he never did anything as blatant as that afaik.

Not saying i wouldn't consider Lara for an ATG team because of that, but it's definitely a factor. As I said, I'm picking an ATG team to win games not make personal milestones.
Not trying to say he's not selfish. More, trying to make the point you want a batsman who can, if he chooses, just stay in. Brian has that. It's just that you'd never rate his captaincy as a consequence.

TheJediBrah

Very good example, could have kept batting but would have been exceptionally selfish
Not trying to say he's not selfish. More, trying to make the point you want a batsman who can, if he chooses, just stay in. Brian has that. It's just that you'd never rate his captaincy as a consequence.
Hey I'm not advocating picking Devon Smith over Lara for an ATG team. But if it's a choice between him and another player that is about as good but would always put the team first then it's going to be a factor for sure

TheJediBrah

But again maybe it really is just a culture thing and it was more important for the West Indies to have a personal record than win a game of Test cricket. I don't agree with it but I can understand it.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
But again maybe it really is just a culture thing and it was more important for the West Indies to have a personal record than win a game of Test cricket. I don't agree with it but I can understand it.
I know mr_mister also holds this opinion.

IMO it's batshit insane.

I'm typically very anti-early-declaration, but just on the grounds that I think #intent captaincy is ****ing stupid.

But if the only reason you aren't declaring is so someone can break a record because that'll be more memorable than the result of the game in X years I think you should be sacked and possibly sterilised so no-one from your line can ever captain a cricket team again.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I know mr_mister also holds this opinion.

IMO it's bat**** insane.

I'm typically very anti-early-declaration, but just on the grounds that I think #intent captaincy is ****ing stupid.

But if the only reason you aren't declaring is so someone can break a record because that'll be more memorable than the result of the game in X years I think you should be sacked and possibly sterilised so no-one from your line can ever captain a cricket team again.
Yet, if you watched the game, you would realize it was such a batathon pitch that the only way to create pressure was to mount runs on the board. India did similar at the SCG in the same year, a little earlier. When your bowling is not exactly world class and its a road, sometimes having a mountain of runs to play with is a strategy. IIRC, India batted almost the same length as Windies did in that game for a similar score (maybe slower). It was not like batsmen were blocking out maiden overs to get Lara the record either. I find more fault with how they fielded in that game than the strategy of batting 7 sessions tbh.

kyear2

International Coach
Honestly I was thinking the opposite about you. I think Chanderpaul, Kallis and even Sachin were more selfish players than Lara overall by a country mile. It was just that one innings that is indefensible and so blatant, I feel like you're trying really hard to find reasons to defend it.
It honestly doesn't bother me in the slightest. And after Hayden broke the record, everyone was wondering if Lara would ever get it back?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yet, if you watched the game, you would realize it was such a batathon pitch that the only way to create pressure was to mount runs on the board. India did similar at the SCG in the same year, a little earlier. When your bowling is not exactly world class and its a road, sometimes having a mountain of runs to play with is a strategy. IIRC, India batted almost the same length as Windies did in that game for a similar score (maybe slower). It was not like batsmen were blocking out maiden overs to get Lara the record either. I find more fault with how they fielded in that game than the strategy of batting 7 sessions tbh.
Yeah I don't really know much about the specifics of the game in question. If people want to argue that it was actually the best strategy to win it or whatever then fine, I have nothing to give back on that. I'm only going to bite at "who cares about winning? wOrLD rEcOrD!!111"

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah I don't really know much about the specifics of the game in question. If people want to argue that it was actually the best strategy to win it or whatever then fine, I have nothing to give back on that. I'm only going to bite at "who cares about winning? wOrLD rEcOrD!!111"
It was a bit of both though. It was not a track where even 700 was enough. But at the same time, I think if it was not for Lara on 350 odd, they may have not batted as long as they did. In the end, I did not mind it coz I felt it gave them the best chance, with the high of the record and the score being as tall as it was, and defeat being out of the question. It was also a track where you could have declared after scoring 600 and still lost the game. Like I said, I find more fault with how they fielded when they did actually bowl. It was not a track you can give chances to batsmen.

TheJediBrah

This talk defending the innings in the context of the match is laughable. No road warrants batting for 200 overs and 750 runs in the 1st innings. If it did then more people would do it and someone else might have the record.

There are plenty of excuses you can use but it's an undeniable fact that there was a decision between a personal milestone and trying to win the game and the selfish decision was made.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
The other thing to note about the context of Lara's 400 is that it came in the fourth and final Test of a series in which the West Indies were 3-0 down and had already lost. I remember there being used as some justification at the time that with the series already gone it didn't matter whether the Windies lost it 3-0 or 3-1, but that the record meant more to the people of the Carribbean than the result of a dead rubber Test.

Not necessarily saying I agree, and I am with the consensus here that trying to win a game should always come before individual stats and records. But it would have been interesting - though we'll never know - to see whether Lara would have done the same if the series had still been in the balance.