• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

capt_Luffy

International Captain
I highly doubt it. No leggie has succeeded against India anytime, anywhere. Difficult for me to imagine Grum doing anything better that 40 runs per wicket.

https://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/e...ualval1=wickets;template=results;type=bowling

Anyways, with Tiger already in the team, I am happy to take in Richie as the second leggie - with his superior fielding, useful lower order batting and his leadership.
Given that pretty much Simpson average 28, I think it's safe to say that batting line-up Benaud faced won't be too comfortable against Grimmett..... Like, ofcourse most spinners aren't successful in India, but the ones who are, are from mostly the 50s and 60s like Illingworth, Mallet and Titmus, who I think are pretty much universally worse than Warne, Murali or even Qadir.

Patience and Accuracy+Gut

State Vice-Captain
Given that pretty much Simpson average 28, I think it's safe to say that batting line-up Benaud faced won't be too comfortable against Grimmett..... Like, ofcourse most spinners aren't successful in India, but the ones who are, are from mostly the 50s and 60s like Illingworth, Mallet and Titmus, who I think are pretty much universally worse than Warne, Murali or even Qadir.
Verity averaged like 16 as well with like 8 wicket a match in his 3 matches.

bagapath

International Captain
I don't get why it's so hard to just accept that maybe Benaud averaging less against India than other leggies has more to do with the opposition than what Benaud actually bowled?
could be.
but that is not the only ****ty Indian team to take the field against a leg spinner. considering no leg spinner ever did well against india, if one had to choose a leggie to bowl at Indians I would choose Benaud. that is the point.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
could be.
but that is not the only ****ty Indian team to take the field against a leg spinner. considering no leg spinner ever did well against india, if one had to choose a leggie to bowl at Indians I would choose Benaud. that is the point.
That wasn't the only ****ty Indian team, but that was certainly one of the ****tiest..... Also, except Warne and Qadir, I can't think of any other Great leggie to be a huge disappointment as well. Tbh, given his record in England, West Indies and even Australia; I can't really see how possibly he could average anything under 35 bowling to a Tendulkar or a Gavaskar.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
None of this makes sense to me! These numbers conjured by you are quite random and don't mean anything.
I am not P&A+G; I am not throwing around numbers, I just said Benaud only performed well against a bad team, among India's worst. Rating him highly for that doesn't makes series. It's like rating Merchant the highest after Bradman due to his FC average, not taking the opposition bowling into context.... Also, Imran Tahir averages 21 in India.

Last edited:

State Vice-Captain
I highly doubt it. No leggie has succeeded against India anytime, anywhere. Difficult for me to imagine Grum doing anything better that 40 runs per wicket.

https://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/e...ualval1=wickets;template=results;type=bowling

Anyways, with Tiger already in the team, I am happy to take in Richie as the second leggie - with his superior fielding, useful lower order batting and his leadership.
O’Reilly and Grimmett ofc never toured India. Benaud was the finest Leggie to tour India before their batting was anything over Australia’s F.C standard. He got to bowl to Bums and cashed in. You seriously believe Grimmett is getting destroyed by Kunderan, Contractor, Roy, Nadarkarni, Gopinath?

State Vice-Captain
I am not P&A+G; I am not throwing around numbers, I just said Benaud only performed well against a bad team, among India's worst. Rating him highly for that doesn't makes series. It's like rating Merchant the highest after Bradman due to his FC average, not taking the opposition bowling into context.... Also, Imran Tahir averages 21 in India.
Grimmett’s effort in SA 1935/36 deserves 10 times the mention than what Benaud did in India. Grum actually bowled to a legit batting line-up in Nourse, Mitchell, Rowan, Vijolean, Cameron in flat decks.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
Grimmett’s effort in SA 1935/36 deserves 10 times the mention than what Benaud did in India. Grum actually bowled to a legit batting line-up in Nourse, Mitchell, Rowan, Vijolean, Cameron in flat decks.
In Benaud's defence, Polly Umrigar and Vijay Manjrekar were better batsmen than Kenneth Viljoen or even probably Jock Cameron..... Nari Contractor, Pankaj Roy and Vinoo Mankad were also fine players of spin, but seriously; that still was among India's worst batting line-ups and you just can't compare that batting line-up to what Warne or Qadir bowled to. See, I certainly do rate Clarrie Grimmett much higher as a bowler than Richie Benaud, but I wasn't arguing over that; not even that Benaud's record in India is void completely; just that it's totally unreasonable to compare his record with that of Warne and Qadir.

Last edited:

howitzer

State Captain
Yeah he didn't have the wood over Nourse but he dominated the rest of them. I feel he's a tad overrated compared to Verity but he's still a great spinner. I don't think the side needs the extra batting offered by Benaud.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
O’Reilly and Grimmett ofc never toured India. Benaud was the finest Leggie to tour India before their batting was anything over Australia’s F.C standard. He got to bowl to Bums and cashed in. You seriously believe Grimmett is getting destroyed by Kunderan, Contractor, Roy, Nadarkarni, Gopinath?
Yeah, completely agree. I also think that shaka zulu was a phony general. He got to cash in vs a bunch of unprepared british troops who where barely colonial standard. Genghis khan and the Mahmud of Ghazni never got to tour africa, and actually faced legit challenges in conquering asia from the likes of the Mamluk Sultan Baibars. If genghas khan was in zulu's situation he would have conquered 90% of the known world.

State Vice-Captain
I am not saying Benaud shouldn’t be given some credit for doing well in India. But, saying that Grum might have had worse figures bowling to a lineup that was barely Australia’s F.C standard is clear nonsense.

Grum is leagues ahead of Benaud as a bowler for Benaud’s batting to be any facor.