• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

ataraxia

International Coach
England

Hutton* /
Sutcliffe /
Hobbs /
Hammond / o
Grace / o
Compton /
Ames + /
Verity o
Trueman o
Barnes o
Statham o

Boycott /
Gooch /
Root /
Gower /
Pietersen /
Stokes / o
Botham o /
Knott + /
Flintoff o /
Underwood o
Anderson o

howitzer

State Captain
England

Hutton* /
Sutcliffe /
Hobbs /
Hammond / o
Grace / o
Compton /
Ames + /
Verity o
Trueman o
Barnes o
Statham o

Boycott /
Gooch /
Root /
Gower /
Pietersen /
Stokes / o
Botham o /
Knott + /
Flintoff o /
Underwood o
Anderson o
I'd definitely be finding room for Barrington somewhere in the earlier eleven, probably replacing Compton.

Edit: If going by debut year then Underwood doesn't qualify for the second team; would have to make do with Swann

Coronis

International Coach
I'd definitely be finding room for Barrington somewhere in the earlier eleven, probably replacing Compton.

Edit: If going by debut year then Underwood doesn't qualify for the second team; would have to make do with Swann
Boycott and Knott don’t either, that was part of the reason I went with that qualifier - England would suck too much otherwise.

howitzer

State Captain
Boycott and Knott don’t either, that was part of the reason I went with that qualifier - England would suck too much otherwise.
Fair enough. Feel like Flintoff is a square peg in a round hole though. Would bring Willis in for him.

Edit: I see you already have Willis. It's @ataraxia 's post which has Flintoff.

Red_Ink_Squid

Global Moderator
Boycott /
Gooch /
Root /
Gower /
Pietersen /
Stokes / o
Botham o /
Knott + /
Flintoff o /
Underwood o
Anderson
I like this. Maybe sub in Woakes for, like, Botham or someone.

Hutton* /
Sutcliffe /
Hobbs /
Hammond / o
Grace / o
Compton /
Ames + /
Verity o
Trueman o
Barnes o
Statham o
I like this. Maybe sub Woakes in for, like, Barnes or someone.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Pre 70 Aus

Simpson
Lawry
Bradman
Trumper
Miller
Harvey
Benaud
Davidson
Lindwall
Oldfield
OReilly

Boon
Taylor
Ponting
Chappell
Smith
Border
Gilchrist
Warne
Cummins
Lillee
McGrath

howitzer

State Captain
Pre 70 Aus

Simpson
Lawry
Bradman
Trumper
Miller
Harvey
Benaud
Davidson
Lindwall
Oldfield
OReilly

Boon
Taylor
Ponting
Chappell
Smith
Border
Gilchrist
Warne
Cummins
Lillee
McGrath
I make these sides correct barring Hayden over Boon

bagapath

International Captain
My pre 1970 Australia

Bill Ponsford
Victor Trumper
Sir Donald Bradman
Neil Harvey
Stan McCabe
Keith Miller
Tallon +
Benaud *
Lindwall
Davidson
O'Reilley

My Post 1970 Australia

Matthew Hayden
Mark Taylor *
Ricky Ponting
Greg Chappell
Steve Smith
Allan Border
Adam Gilchrist +
Shane Warne
Pat Cummins
Dennis Lillee
Glen McGrath

bagapath

International Captain
My pre 1970 Australia

Bill Ponsford
Victor Trumper
Sir Donald Bradman
Neil Harvey
Stan McCabe
Keith Miller
Tallon +
Benaud *
Lindwall
Davidson
O'Reilley

My Post 1970 Australia

Matthew Hayden
Mark Taylor *
Ricky Ponting
Greg Chappell
Steve Smith
Allan Border
Adam Gilchrist +
Shane Warne
Pat Cummins
Dennis Lillee
Glen McGrath

Patience and Accuracy+Gut

State Vice-Captain
Benaud isn’t half the bowler Grimmett was. That batting average of 24 doesn’t mean anything when Benaud is leagues below Grum as a bowler. Also, Grum would have 90 more wicket at 12 if he had the juicy matches against India and Pakistan like Benaud.

bagapath

International Captain
Benaud isn’t half the bowler Grimmett was. That batting average of 24 doesn’t mean anything when Benaud is leagues below Grum as a bowler.
Possible

Also, Grum would have 90 more wicket at 12 if he had the juicy matches against India and Pakistan like Benaud.
Or, considering Benaud is the only successful leggie against India in history, Grimmett may be torn to shreds, like what happened to Qadir/ Warne later, and lose the statistical edge he has over Benaud.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
Or, considering Benaud is the only successful leggie against India in history, Grimmett may be torn to shreds, like what happened to Qadir/ Warne later, and lose the statistical edge he has over Benaud.
Qadir was destroyed by batsmen like Gavaskar, Vengsarkar, Vishwanath and Amarnath; while Warne by Tendulkar, Dravid, Laxman and Ganguly; I don't think Benaud really faced many great batsmen. The best Indian batsmen he ever bowled to were probably Umrigar and Manjrekar..... Not to mention every match was played in turning Indian wickets.

Last edited:

State Vice-Captain
I would be very surprised if Grimmett got that much of trouble at all even at his that time age of 70 against that Indian lineup that Benaud destroyed.

Grimmett smoked a SA line up with Nourse, Mitchell, Rowan, Vijolean, Cameron in flat decks. Guys like Kunderan,Contractor, Roy, Nadarkarni, Gopinath would look like a joke facing Grimmett.

For my best guess, Grimmett ends with 90 more wickets at average of 12 against India/ Pak lineup that Benaud faced.

Last edited:

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Benaud isn’t half the bowler Grimmett was. That batting average of 24 doesn’t mean anything when Benaud is leagues below Grum as a bowler. Also, Grum would have 90 more wicket at 12 if he had the juicy matches against India and Pakistan like Benaud.
I would be very surprised if Grimmett got that much of trouble at all even at his that time age of 70 against that Indian lineup that Benaud destroyed.

Grimmett smoked a SA line up with Nourse, Mitchell, Rowan, Vijolean, Cameron in flat decks. Guys like Kunderan,Contractor, Roy, Nadarkarni, Gopinath would look like a joke facing Grimmett.

For my best guess, Grimmett ends with 90 more wickets at average of 12 against India/ Pak lineup that Benaud faced.
Where on earth are you pulling these numbers from lol?

State Vice-Captain
Where on earth are you pulling these numbers from lol?
Grimmett took 44 wickets in 5 matches against SA at 14 facing Nourse, Mitchell, Rowan, Vijolean, Cameron in flat decks. That Indian side that Benaud made feast against had nobody at all. God help guys like Kunderan, Contractor, Roy, Nadarkarni, Gopinath facing Grum in turner.

12 may be arguably bit exaggeration (though that’s where I would think) but I ain’t believing anything over 15. Everyone made feast against them Trueman, Davidson and even Benaud averaged 14,15,18 respectively.

Last edited: