• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The “Fab” 3

How do you rank them?

• Total voters

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Nah.. post 2010 BD test matches esp. in BD should count as a decent challenge IMO. I would argue when Rafique was still around, BD at home was still a decent challenge compared to some of the other attacks running around world cricket then.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
Turning pitch. Pretty decent spin attack.

Definitely wont count tho
See..... The truth is all three have struggled overseas against some strong opponent. Root against Australia (35 avg, no century, 14 games) and Pakistan (25 avg, 3 games); and Virat against England (33 avg, 17 games; actually had one great tour, but the others were awful) and New Zealand (36 avg, 4 games). But they atleast have good averages in some strong countries as well; like Virat in Australia (54) and South Africa (51); and Root in India (50), New Zealand (52) and South Africa (50). Kane's average in any top tier country except Australia (42) is bad. He averages 30 in England, 33 in India and 26 in South Africa. I am not saying he's the worst here for that reason; just his away record is really bad, except against Pakistan and Australia.

Flem274*

123/5
I think when you look at Henry Nicholls' test average still hovering around 40 (and peaked at 45), being part of a good line up means something.

I'm going to say positive things to balance the constant downer that this sub is.

Kohli was the clear standout in many tough series where India otherwise got killed, and is an excellent hunter of a total.

Root has had the most random career ever, starting as a pretty orthodox future ATG and seems to be on a late career run of reverse smashing dudes for six while sometimes also batting like a pretty orthodox ATG.

KW came in as a child who wasn't really test standard and led the charge up the rankings with important hundreds in almost every series NZ won. Was the clear best player in the most important match in our test history.

Himannv

International Coach
I'm sure with more game time they'll all move on from these humble beginnings and go on to have respectable careers in the sport. But we must always remember that cricket isn't for everyone.

Howsie

International Captain
I swear I'm not doing this to hate, but the vast majority of Kane's big away runs have come on roads (like Australia 2015 and the recent Pakistan tour). Runs on flat tracks absolutely count ftr. But I don't think it's unfair to say Root and maybe even kohli (who's not as good as him) have had many more impressive innings overseas on tough decks.

His best performances have been the WTC final and that tour of uae that NZ won. He's not consistently batted like an ATG outside of that.

As someone who has probably watched every ball Williamson has faced in his test career this is IMO his greatest performance. The team had started to show signs by this point (home drawn series against England) in 2013, home series win against India early 2014. But winning away from home kicked this era off

161 not out on a tough Bridgetown pitch, 3rd innings. Set the Windies 300 on the last day. Nobody else come close to scoring 100 on this pitch across all 5 days.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I remember that too it was impressive for sure. West indies has always produced enough tough pitches in the last 20 odd years for it to not always be easy going for batsmen.

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
Its nearly a third of his matches played!
Playing Test Cricket before the age of 23 isn't guaranteed to be a struggle as a batsman .

For example Graeme Smith at 23 had a record of 2574 runs @52.53 in 30 Tests

Javed Miandad at 23 had a record of
2663 runs @57.89 in 34 Tests

They didn't get brownie points for starting great and neither should Williamson for starting slowly. Every batter matures differently.

Flem274*

123/5
Kohli and Root are excellent players but Williamson is just a level above lol. He could be averaging 57+ after the SA series
This isn't true. As I said in the bangers thread they are 3 of the most valuable players in the world in a very bowler dominant era.

Insane cricketers. Look at batting stats since 2018 lol they're twice as valuable as the average bat. Then there's Smith on his own level..

PlayerComparisons

International Regular
This isn't true. As I said in the bangers thread they are 3 of the most valuable players in the world in a very bowler dominant era.

Insane cricketers. Look at batting stats since 2018 lol they're twice as valuable as the average bat. Then there's Smith on his own level..
Fair enough although he is clearly #2 for me with his recent form over the last 3 years. It is a very hard era. I think they’d all have better away records if they played in the 2000s

capt_Luffy

International Captain
Fair enough although he is clearly #2 for me with his recent form over the last 3 years. It is a very hard era. I think they’d all have better away records if they played in the 2000s
In all honesty, by the time they retire, it's very much possible of them to widely improve their away records. Root just need some more runs in Australia and Pakistan, Virat in England and New Zealand, and well, Kane really need some great serieses in India, England and South Africa.....

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Kohli's 2020-2022 has really hurt him big time. The only half decent series he had was in SA. His BG 186 on the mother of flat decks saves his numbers from being even more catastrophic.