• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

SeamUp

International Coach
The concern. Mpongwana and Mogakane both gone in 3 balls.

Breetzke 62* (58) & still needing 114 in 25 overs.

SeamUp

International Coach
I wonder why Mpongwana is no longer bowling, if he's just a batter he's not as valuable to SA.
It is very strange. I wouldn't say his batting is particularly stand-out for him to push for higher honours. If he is bowling he has a bit of Jason Holder to him but a long way to go still.

If they taking punts & I know why they are doing it but I would loved to have seen Bryce Parsons with this 50-over group.

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Also there is creating opportunity but there is also pushing guys to knock down the door for opportunity.

There is no way we should be rotating out TdZ, Brevis, Bosch, Sipamla. Can understand Luus who is talented but raw.
My guess is they have already decided teams for each of the matches to give everyone a 'fair' chance. So regardless of performance I think this would have been the team.

Bahseph

International Debutant
It is very strange. I wouldn't say his batting is particularly stand-out for him to push for higher honours. If he is bowling he has a bit of Jason Holder to him but a long way to go still.

If they taking punts & I know why they are doing it but I would loved to have seen Bryce Parsons with this 50-over group.
I think his batting is more Holder like. I made that observation when I saw him years ago. He should be bowling. Andile has got tons of opportunities over the years and he has never truly stamped his authority.

I agree that certain players shouldn't be rotated but you have to feel they already know who the front runners are. I was surprised that Muthusamy came in at 4. I am happy that he seems to he scoring quicker now. Struck at 170 odd in the SA20. If he can bowl 7-8 overs and innings and play some cameos he is already a better bat than Fortuin. We all know this should be Linde but we have beat that drum too many times.

StephenZA

No idea where his best batting position is but he is so positive and dominant in full flow. Really looking forward to following him this season. Slightly concerning is he doesn't bowl as much because of Maharaj, Subrayen and Smuts.
In LO I like him opening. And he feels comfortable there. FC I can see him at 5/6. And yes he needs to be bowling.

Silver Silva

International Debutant
Some terrible fielding they don't seem interested at all even though these are official List A games , so many dropped catches , misfields, I mean we had SL 187/6 and now they are 290 odd
Yeah to be honest I expected a tougher challenge for SL A , it's usually a tough place to tour for any team we put out in SENA but it's been really comfortable..

All we have to do is get through your top order and the rest fall like dominoes..Bowling attack also lacking

StephenZA

I haven't understood a lot of the bowling changes here, I don't think Breetzke has done a great job as captain.