• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shootout in Lahore

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Cricinfo Reports :-

Our sources tell us Samaraweera and Paravitarana were the ones most seriously injured and have been taken to hospital. they had shrapnel wounds in the chest and hamstring which have been dressed and they are doing fine.

Faceless void

Cricket Spectator
before blaming Pakistan or home-grown terrorists, we should wait for news about the gunmen. With the LTTE cornered internally in SL it was a known fact that they are going to strike at Sri Lankans anywhere in the world . It is a possibility these guys were the LTTE who got into the country as cricket fans
A distinct possibility.

Bn readindg the threads for years though rarely post.
But got to sayy that i never thought voltman falls into a such a low category. No mtatter how many posts he has posted a stupid, irrational post like that should at any cost be condemned. Light hearted it may be but this is no time for humour! At least for ones who whole-heartedly love world cricket!

Faceless void

Cricket Spectator
think four have already left hospital and samarweera is the only one still n hospital
Both samaraweera and paranawithana. (according to SLC's new media release)
One of those two has been hit on the shoulder it seems.
Others are suffering from minor cut injuries. Hashan is on fire blasting the sports minister and arjuna for going ahead with the tour. Arjuna defending him has said in the parliament that pakistan promised to provide the kind of security they would provide for a prime minister or a president.
Also feel really sorry for all the policemen who sacrificed there lives and all the pak cricket fans.

pup11

International Coach
What about the Pakistani players and umpires, were they attacked too, or were they near the scene of this incident.

Fusion

Global Moderator
What about the Pakistani players and umpires, were they attacked too, or were they near the scene of this incident.
According to a Pakistani TV channel, the Pakistani players were half way to the stadium when their bus turned around back for the hotel. That's when they found out about the attack. Apparently a Pakistani umpire riding with the SL team was hurt and is being operated on.

Xuhaib

International Coach
4th umpire was shot is the stomach:( he's undergoing surgery, Pakistan team was still in the hotel.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
It just boils my blood to see these terrorists killing innocent people for no reason, never feel so helpless and hopeless about anything in life. It just seems that there is just no hope and cure.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Such a sad day for cricket. Not just caught up in something by being in the wrong place at the wrong time, but an actual direct attack. I never thought that would happen when I was thinking about player safety.

A quite shocking interview with Dominic Cork just now who witnessed the whole thing as he was out there as a commentator. He said he'd spoken to his Lancs teammate Murali who told him he 'thought he was about to die'. He also said Chris Broad was walking around with blood over his ICC shirt and that the driver of the second bus that he was on had been killed.

RIP to all these people who have been caught up in this and to these brave policemen who have been killed trying to protect the players.

pup11

International Coach
According to a Pakistani TV channel, the Pakistani players were half way to the stadium when their bus turned around back for the hotel. That's when they found out about the attack. Apparently a Pakistani umpire riding with the SL team was hurt and is being operated on.
Really sad to hear that...

Btw, would like to add one more thing, its been a great gesture on the part of all Pakistani fans here to be apologetic about this incident, but guys you really don't need to do that, its definitely not something that's under your control, and as cricket fans we all are pretty jolted by this incident, but no Pakistani cricket fan should feel apologetic about this imo.

The only people who should be apologetic should be the once running the PCB, when they invite a team to tour their country , they should ensure there foolproof safety to them, and tbh despite all the security concerns about touring Pakistan, I never though that there could ever be such a huge lapse in player security, for me the magnitude of the incident is slowly seeping in, but I am still pretty shocked.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Firstly, what a show of bravery from the Policemen. Amazing acts from every one of them.

Am still worried for the Pakistani Umpire - Ahsan Raza, Samaraweera and Paranavitana. But God be praised the majority of people involved survived.

So glad Australia refused to tour. Many thanks to the people in this thread who have turned around their comments on the issue.

What a terrible tragedy.

Langeveldt

Soutie

Btw, would like to add one more thing, its been a great gesture on the part of all Pakistani fans here to be apologetic about this incident, but guys you really don't need to do that, its definitely not something that's under your control, and as cricket fans we all are pretty jolted by this incident, but no Pakistani cricket fan should feel apologetic about this imo.

The only people who should be apologetic should be the once running the PCB, when they invite a team to tour their country , they should ensure there foolproof safety to them, and tbh despite all the security concerns about touring Pakistan, I never though that there could ever be such a huge lapse in player security, for me the magnitude of the incident is slowly seeping in, but I am still pretty shocked.
But surely if you have to play behind closed doors and with armoured convoys closing roads off, then it's kind of a bit of a pointless exercise really.. Don't think you can blame the PCB for a lack of security

SJS

Hall of Fame Member

I am afraid there is no such thing as 'foolproof' or rather 'terrorist proof' security. This is the problem. Its easy to blame PCB but there is only so much they can do. They are caught between a rock and a hard place. You cant ensure 100% against terrorists and you cant afford to admit it to the world.

How can PCB protect the cricketers if Benazir could not be protected or Rajeev Gandhi could not be protected.

Xuhaib

International Coach
ARY: 4 culprits captured with amunition by private security in Model Town, Lahore,

NAil the ****ers.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
I am afraid there is no such thing as 'foolproof' or rather 'terrorist proof' security. This is the problem. Its easy to blame PCB but there is only so much they can do. They are caught between a rock and a hard place. You cant ensure 100% against terrorists and you cant afford to admit it to the world.

How can PCB protect the cricketers if Benazir could not be protected or Rajeev Gandhi could not be protected.
Compltely agree with the above.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
But surely if you have to play behind closed doors and with armoured convoys closing roads off, then it's kind of a bit of a pointless exercise really.. Don't think you can blame the PCB for a lack of security
Yeah... if someone is determined enough to cause terrorism, they can always do something. Even with 'presidential' security.

biased indian

International Coach
that is some thing we can only just imagine ..don't think any one can guarantee that..especially in a crowded chaotic city like mumbai or lahore ..but the fact that a planned attack was foiled and none of the man who was targeted was not seriously hurt tell a lot about the security ..

SJS

Hall of Fame Member

The attack on the Sri Lankan cricket team in Pakistan on Tuesday bore the hallmarks of the same militants that carried out the attack on Mumbai in November, a senior Pakistan official said on Tuesday.

Around dozen heavily armed assailants attacked the Sri Lankan cricket team's bus and a police ****** as they drove to a stadium in the Pakistani city of Lahore.

He said the police had surrounded the area where the attackers were believed to be now holed up.

"I want to say it's the same pattern, the same terrorists who attacked Mumbai," Salman Taseer, governor of central Punjab province, told reporters at the site of the attack.

"They are trained criminals. They were not common people. The kind of weaponry they had, the kind of arms they had, the way they attacked ... they were not common citizens, they were obviously trained."

Reuters

Last edited: