• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

S Africa calls for its players to stay

Rasimione

U19 Captain
Why do you guys hate Moonda so much? She's a kak writer sure but this kind of hate gets me worried a bit...

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I thought showing the increase of the rand against the US dollar would mean most people would rightly see it as a broad proxy for the rand's strengthening against all major currencies. Clearly i overestimated the intelligence of some on this forum. But here, I'll help you.

In January 2016 the pound was worth nearly R25. Today it's worth less than R17.
There you go. Well done on providing a relevant statistic, wasn't hard was it?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Sterling's pretty weak at the moment, counties don't pay their players in USD.

The rand's probably doing better against the pound than it is against the dollar, so why not just use that in your argument?

Spark

Global Moderator

The rand's probably doing better against the pound than it is against the dollar, so why not just use that in your argument?
Literally everything is doing better against the pound than the dollar right now, no? The dollar is still the yardstick by which a currency's strength is measured.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Of course

You're selecting someone for a position, hiring someone for a job so to speak, based on attributes other than their aptitude for the position. In this case, race.

It's pretty cut and dry

Lol.. way to miss the point. To "create" inequality implies the status quo is equality, which is not the case there. THAT is what is pretty cut and dry. :laugh:

Marius

International Debutant

Exactly. If you knew the pound is doing poorly in 2017 hen surely you would have figured that however the rand did against the dollar it would do even better against the pound.

Marius

International Debutant
That's just a minor recovery though isn't it? The improvement since January 2016 needs to be looked at in the context of the Rand hitting an all time low at that point.

I assumed that the journalist was referring to the steady decline in the value of the Rand since 2009/2010 when they were talking about the 'declining Rand'. Even with the recovery this year, the Rand is still worth ~50% of what it was worth 7 years ago. Surely that is still making it difficult to retain players.
That's a fair point. But it should also be noted in the article and given context. 'The declining rand, which has lost x% of its value since 200x is also a factor etc.'

Noah

School Boy/Girl Captain
That's a fair point. But it should also be noted in the article and given context. 'The declining rand, which has lost x% of its value since 200x is also a factor etc.'
Yeah, I suppose additional information would improve the article but imo the context of the 'declining Rand' comments were pretty clear. The issue of skilled South Africans (sports and otherwise) looking for overseas employment due to the falling value of the Rand has been widely discussed over the last 4-5 years - it's not as if Moonda was talking about a new concept that needed a lot of background info.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Dobell reporting on Cricinfo that Abbott is on the verge of signing a long-term Kolpak deal with Hampshire, and Hampshire are also in talks with Rilee Rossouw.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lol.. way to miss the point. To "create" inequality implies the status quo is equality, which is not the case there. THAT is what is pretty cut and dry. :laugh:
Try again

white players and black players not having equal chance at selection based on merit is inequality by definition. How this relates to the country's political situation or other factors contributing to equality at other levels of cricket, or in life, is completely irrelevant to that fact. I feel like this is the third or fourth time I've had to say this.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Try again

white players and black players not having equal chance at selection based on merit is inequality by definition. How this relates to the country's political situation or other factors contributing to equality at other levels of cricket, or in life, is completely irrelevant to that fact. I feel like this is the third or fourth time I've had to say this.

Keep missing the point. Good day and a happy new year :)

I thought the point being made was pretty obvious. :S
Here it is in simpler terms for the not so bright:

During apartheid there was inequity against blacks.
With apartheid abolished and the introduction of quotas for sporting teams there is inequality against whites.
Inequality has not been created, it has simply been shifted from being against blacks to against whites.

Last edited:

brockley

International Captain
Its funny it takes a cricinfo author to raise the issue of players leaving.
When will Lorgat and the SA Board address concerns and secondly put policies in place to fix what has turned into panic stations.

TheJediBrah

I thought the point being made was pretty obvious. :S
Here it is in simpler terms for the not so bright:

During apartheid there was inequity against blacks.
With apartheid abolished and the introduction of quotas for sporting teams there is inequality against whites.
Inequality has not been created, it has simply been shifted from being against blacks to against whites.
Not sure if referring to me, so here are my simpler terms

You're talking about inequality as a concept in the country as a whole. I was not. I was talking about an isolated environment in a very specific situation (ie. selection for national sport team), while making absolutely no comment on the effect or relevance to the country/racial issues as a whole (as I directly stated several times)

5th time I've had to explain this, hopefully it sticks

TheJediBrah

Still doesn't get it. As they say you can't put brains in pumpkins. Sad.
**** this is dire.

what am I not getting? You're not saying anything relevant to my simple point, which wasn't even an opinion mind you, just a statement of a simple fact