• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ranking the Bowlers

shortpitched713

International Captain
Imran. Seriously thinking about guys like Walsh and Kumble for the top 15. They've taken too many wickets, and been consistently good for too long to be ignored, IMO.

adharcric

International Coach
shortpitched713 said:
Seriously thinking about guys like Walsh and Kumble for the top 15. They've taken too many wickets, and been consistently good for too long to be ignored, IMO.
We still have to get Imran, Donald, Akram, Lindwall, Holding, Davidson, Younis and Garner. Then you have to look at earlier guys - Lohmann, Rhodes, Laker and O'Reilly.
Walsh and Kumble might make this list, but just barely IMO.

Last edited:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
And you are trying to convince this chick that '***y bowler' ! = 'better bowler' ?
Good luck !
Listen-when it comes to sports, there are always some chicks around who'd take the '***y factor' and run with it- note the popularity of Safin(though he deserves most of it), the female fanbase of Simon Jones, etc etc.
Its a lost cause i tell ya. If she found Merv Hughes ***y,she'd find a way to leapfrog him ahead of a heap of better qualified bowlers.
8-)
Hahaha. Mate, you need to lay off the crack and actually read the post you are responding too.

Perm was saying that he didn't rate Lillee that highly, but that other people did because he was a "***y bowler". And he didn't mean "***y" literally, he meant that he had an attractive image and a strong presence on the field, much like Shane Warne.

As far as the female fan thing goes, he never mentioned any female in any way in the post.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I'll go Donald. Considered Alan Davidson actually, who is an underrated bowler with a fantastic record from a reasonably high scoring era, but I'll still go Donald.

adharcric

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
I'll go Donald. Considered Alan Davidson actually, who is an underrated bowler with a fantastic record from a reasonably high scoring era, but I'll still go Donald.
Not even considering Imran?

aussie tragic

International Captain
adharcric said:
We still have to get Imran, Donald, Akram, Lindwall, Holding, Davidson, Younis and Garner. Then you have to look at earlier guys - Lohmann, Rhodes, Laker and O'Reilly.
Walsh and Kumble might make this list, but just barely IMO.
With hopefully Donald winning the 10th position, I consider the following to be in the running for the next 10:

Davidson, Garner, Imran, Holding, Younis, Laker, O'Reilly, Grimmett, Akram, Lindwall

Last edited:

adharcric

International Coach
aussie tragic said:
10. Alan Donald

Edit: Donald because:

Alan Donald: 72 Tests, 330 wkts @ 22.25, SR 47.0, 4.58 wkts/match
Imran Khan: 88 Tests, 362 wkts @ 22.81, SR 53.7, 4.11 wkts/match

Donald has a better average, a far superior Strike rate and a much higher wkts/match ratio, despite Imran carrying his attack (& like Hadlee should then take more wkts per match).
Imran bowled in the subcontinent. That overrides Donald's advantages IMO. Very close though.

aussie tragic

International Captain
adharcric said:
Imran bowled in the subcontinent. That overrides Donald's advantages IMO. Very close though.
Good point. I don't think I'd be upset if Donald and Imran were selected at # 10 and # 11 in any order actually, but I'd hope Davidson then got in at # 12.

C_C

International Captain
Its ridiculous that people think Imran isnt in the top 10 alltime IMO.
The guy has 350+ wickets at 22 average, had a mindboggling peak ( 184 wickets in 35 tests @ 15.92 average, 14x5 , 5x10, 42.2 strike rate) and his record against one of the best batting lineups ever fielded ( West Indies of the 70s and 80s) is peerless - 18 tests, 80 wickets @ 21.18, 6x5, 1x10.
Thats significantly better than Donald's performance against an equally strong team (Australi of the 90s) and betters that of Lillee, Hadlee,Botham, etc. despite bowling a lot on the subcontinent and not having much support till the latter days (after Wasim emerged).

As far as i am concerned, Imran deserves a top 10 spot ahead of the likes of Lillee and Donald.

PS: Imran.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Imran, wish i could vote another spinner in the top 10, but i don't think one deserves to be in the 15. Also Grimmett and O'Reilly are both ten times better then Kumble. I would have Laker and Gibbs infront of him as well, he would lucky to make the top 50, maybe top 100.

adharcric

International Coach
UPDATE: Imran 8, Donald 5, Rhodes/Lindwall/Grimmett/Akram 1

Imran needs the next two to clinch it, while Donald is still in the race. Vote!