• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ranking the Bowlers

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Fusion said:
Are you saying that Imran being considered a top 10 bowler is silly? Or that Lille not being included along with him is silly? Do you consider Wisden to be a worthy enough source? Imran is number 9 on their top 10 Test bowlers list. Silly indeed.

I don't know who selects the Wisden list, but it doesn't strengthen too many arguments about the list here, Lillee is not only above Imran, but also Malcolm Marshall.....Curtley Ambrose is nowhere to be seen.

C_C

International Captain
Lillian Thomson said:
I don't know who selects the Wisden list, but it doesn't strengthen too many arguments about the list here, Lillee is not only above Imran, but also Malcolm Marshall.....Curtley Ambrose is nowhere to be seen.
And that would pretty much only be the view of overzealous Aussie/English/Ashes fans.
Definately not the type of comment i am used to hearing from people who have a much more international and cosmopolitan view of cricket.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
C_C said:
And that would pretty much only be the view of overzealous Aussie/English/Ashes fans.
Definately not the type of comment i am used to hearing from people who have a much more international and cosmopolitan view of cricket.
That's a bit unfair to be honest. So because he thinks Lillee is better than Marshall and Ambrose, he has to be biased.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:

Well it wasn't me who quoted the Wisden list as proof of Imran's right to be in the Top 10.

C_C

International Captain
PhoenixFire said:
That's a bit unfair to be honest. So because he thinks Lillee is better than Marshall and Ambrose, he has to be biased.
I dont see how its unfair- the overwhelming majority of people who think Lillee is the greatest bowler or one of the top three bowlers tend to be either Aussie or English and hugely engrossed in the Ashes.
The type who'd get more excited about the Ashes than the Frank Worrell Trophy, even if this were the late 80s.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Lillian Thomson said:
Well it wasn't me who quoted the Wisden list as proof of Imran's right to be in the Top 10.
I wasn't using Wisden's list as "proof" that Imran belongs in the top 10. You stated that the mere notion that Imran is a top 10 bowler would be considered "silly" and not worth discussing in most knowledgable circles. I gave you one reputable source which disagrees and did indulge in such a ridiculous notion. Incidently, I rate Lilly very highly as well. But you saying it's not even worth discussing Imran's credentials to be in the top 10 is frankly...silly. :)

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Personally I don't think Khan is quite good enough to be in the top 10 bowlers of all time. I am fairly sure he should make it into the top 10 fast bowlers of all time however.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Lillian Thomson said:
No but you said it wouldn't have credibility in serious circles. Now you're going to say that your local pub is a more serious circle than Wisden.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
I dont see how its unfair- the overwhelming majority of people who think Lillee is the greatest bowler or one of the top three bowlers tend to be either Aussie or English and hugely engrossed in the Ashes.
The type who'd get more excited about the Ashes than the Frank Worrell Trophy, even if this were the late 80s.
Haha what? You mean like most of the players he played against from a huge range of nations, and posters on here from every country? You are familiar with his reputation among West Indian cricketers, yes? The one constant factor I've seen in people who rate Lillee highly is that they actually watched him bowl when he was playing. IIRC, two of the biggest Lillee fans on this forum are SJS and Anil, and neither of them are Australian or English.