• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Question on ban announcements

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
I think he should've just been continuously infracted for spam. It was an insane level of posting with about 90% being scorecard updates and cricbuzz stats/trivia. He racked up 2k+ posts in the short time he was actively posting.

The rest of the stuff like plagiarism, ugly thread titles, wrong threads in wrong subbies etc is meh. Weird that he didn't follow instructions, maybe he just didn't understand or something. Was he really in his 80s?
I have theory that he was an AI chatbot that was/is being piloted in this forum for some nefarious Psyops operation and that the finished form will be unleashed during the 2024 American election cycle.

Last edited:

Brook's side

International Regular
Next, he might question my West Indian-ness because I’m of Indian descent like Pooran, Chanderpaul, Sarwan.

let me tell you something. I’m 100% West Indian!
I wouldn't in the slightest. Any more than I would a team of 11 players of south asian heritage representing England.

It's not the same thing as 11 expats representing Cambodia (on the balance of probabilities none of whom speak the language and none of whom have a cambodian passport) based on spending more than half the year in the country for the last 3 years.

It's just as much a farce as their ground is.

Brook's side

International Regular
So @RossTaylorsBox what's the key difference between expats in Hong Kong and GCC and these guys in Cambodia, which makes me a moron for missing, and which explains why they speak Khmer?

I've spent several months in Cambodia btw, and am almost certain I never heard a person of south asian heritage speak a word of Khmer, and I also know that there are expats who've been living there 15 years who don't speak Khmer. But if you can explain why these guys probably speak the lingo based on them not being in Hong Kong it'd be interesting to know.

Also, of course, if you can't tell me, then you owe me an apology.

Brook's side

International Regular
I'd have been just as disappointed if the team was 11 white guys rather than Khmers.

But even that would make a bit more sense than 11 sub-continent guys, because there are multitudes more UK and Aussie expats in Cambodia than there are sub-continent expats.

The chances that that's even the best 11 expats in Cambodia at cricket is very low.

The ground's such a disgrace anyway, the whole thing looks like a total joke.

Anyway, apologies for taking up the thread with this silly argument.

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So @RossTaylorsBox what's the key difference between expats in Hong Kong and GCC and these guys in Cambodia, which makes me a moron for missing, and which explains why they speak Khmer?

I've spent several months in Cambodia btw, and am almost certain I never heard a person of south asian heritage speak a word of Khmer, and I also know that there are expats who've been living there 15 years who don't speak Khmer. But if you can explain why these guys probably speak the lingo based on them not being in Hong Kong it'd be interesting to know.

Also, of course, if you can't tell me, then you owe me an apology.
Hong Kong etc. is way more internationalised than Cambodia and it's easier to get by there not knowing a word of the local language, even given ex-pat enclaves or whatever. I know two people who lived in Cambodia for a couple of years teaching (arguably one of the few careers where you can actually get by knowing only English) and they seem to be able to speak basic Khmer. It's not some weird moon language that's impossible for people to learn, particularly people that you've seen in a cricket photo and automatically decided they couldn't possibly speak a word.

Brook's side

International Regular
The gall to mock the ground that's used to play cricket in a place where the sport is in its infancy is just shocking really. How can any right minded cricket fan act like this?
Gall?????

The ground is appalling.

They're hosting an international tournament, and they're playing on an uneven field of sand covered with clumps of grass, and with an astroturf wicket dropped in the middle of it (the least of the problems), surrounded by unfinished facilities which they haven't even bothered to tidy up. There isn't even a scoreboard from the looks of it.

Aside from the high possibility of players getting serious ankle injuries, the ground's a disgrace which is an embarrassment to Cambodia and an embarrassment to cricket.

Last edited:

Brook's side

International Regular
Hong Kong etc. is way more internationalised than Cambodia and it's easier to get by there not knowing a word of the local language, even given ex-pat enclaves or whatever. I know two people who lived in Cambodia for a couple of years teaching (arguably one of the few careers where you can actually get by knowing only English) and they seem to be able to speak basic Khmer. It's not some weird moon language that's impossible for people to learn, particularly people that you've seen in a cricket photo and automatically decided they couldn't possibly speak a word.
When you called me a moron, you said that the expats were different, not the locals. But FYI, it's easy to get by in the cities and towns of Cambodia without a word of Khmer. Also FYI, there are expats live there for years without knowing the language.

Not that you'd be likely to know how good your friends' Khmer is, but in any case 'language teachers in learning the local language shocker'. You think English language teachers in Hong Kong/China don't learn the language??????

Notwithstanding you calling me a moron, most expats don't speak much Khmer, and in several months in the country, I've never met someone from India who can speak Khmer.

I'd happily bet £100 that none of those players can hold a basic conversation much beyond how are you I'm fine in Cambodian language, and also that none of them have a Cambodian passport.

Brook's side

International Regular
Cambodia boxing team:

CAMBODIA BOXING TEAM2.jpg

Cambodia rugby team:
CAMBODIA RUGBY TEAM 2.jpg

Cambodia football team:
Cambodia-football-team.jpg

Cambodia GAA / Irish football team:
cambodia-gaa-4.jpg

Cambodia basketball team:
cambodia bb team.jpg

Cambodia cricket team:
National_Tennis_Cricket_Team_Cambodia.jpg

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Next, he might question my West Indian-ness because I’m of Indian descent like Pooran, Chanderpaul, Sarwan.

let me tell you something. I’m 100% West Indian!
There used to be serious suggestions that we should get Chanderpaul as he has some Indian ancestry coz the ****er kept smashing us everytime we played.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Again, that's not their cricket team, it's some tennis ball tournament. The actual team I think has two white dudes and the rest have desi sounding names.

I don't disagree with you that it's unlikely most of the team members have Cambodian passports. They're probably just expats who've stayed there long enough to become eligible to play for the country under the rules set by the ICC and their local sporting bodies. I don't know how well they've integrated into the local culture/communities and whether they speak Khmer or not. But that's not the point.

Assuming you're right and they're all just hitting the bare minimum of 3 years and have not bothered integrating at all, this still does not make it a disgrace because what you're seeing now is cricket at a very nascent stage in the country. If these expats stay and grow the game, if their kids grow up in Cambodia and integrate fully into the culture like how most of the younger players in the Singapore and Malaysian teams now have, if it's brought to schools, if the infrastructure gets better and they can purchase a lawnmower and afford a turf wicket, the idea is that you'll eventually see more and more local participation and a higher standard of play. At that point, if the players are of South Asian descent but can call themselves Cambodian, then that's still awesome and a worthy goal.

Oh and the assertion that they're just expats in the country who calculatively spent half their time in the country for 3 years solely to become eligible to play cricket for ****en Cambodia in the SEA games is frankly ridiculous. If you looked it up you'd notice most of them are on international debut. Cambodian cricket has simply not been a thing in the international scene and to think anyone would bother to move to Cambodia just for the chance to play against teams like Thailand and Indonesia twice a year or whatever is insane.

Brook's side

International Regular
Again, that's not their cricket team, it's some tennis ball tournament. The actual team I think has two white dudes and the rest have desi sounding names.
It's the Cambodia Board XI, which has previously played international friendlies. The photo is taken from the Wikipedia entry for the Cambodia cricket team.

Here's the Board XI that took on Singapore in 2020:

P20-Top.jpg

They look like nice guys, but this is not a team which is representative (in the normal use of the word) of Cambodia people.

If it's not the team in the SEA games, then that's another matter. However I've looked "DESI" up, and it seems to be Indian. So you're still saying that most of the Cambodian cricket team are Indian guys, notwithstanding that there are hardly any Indian people who live in Cambodia.

The comparison between Cambodia and Singapore in this respect is completely absurd.

By the way, the womens' team is all Khmer:

Where To Watch Singapore Women tour of Cambodia, 2023 Live Streaming Online? Get Free Telecast Details Of The West Singapore Women vs Cambodia, 2023 Cricket Matches With Time In IST - SportsUnfold

So what's going on with the mens' team?

Last edited:

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Brooks side legit thinks that a group of Indian club cricketers sought employment in Cambodia for a few years just so they could rock up against the Philippines 3 years later for a hit.

Btw the ages of their players that beat Singapore

Obviously these young kids migrated to the country as young teenagers with the hope that they would someday represent Cambodia