• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Personal Cricket Statutes

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
Re: What a top post!!

Slats4ever said:
1) Jason Gillespie is the worlds' best pace bowler.
2) Jimmy Anderson deserves all the attention he gets, he's very good.
3) If Justin Langer and Hayden could produce babies, would their kids be any good at opening?
4) New Zealand are the second best test nation in the world.
5) Adam Gilchrist is the best player in the world. Brian Lara is second best.
6) Cricket is a left handers game.
7) Helmets should be outlawed from the game.
8) So should the third umpire... bring back some controversy.
9) Justin Langer should be dropped for Slater.
10) Australia should play a world XI every year whilst they're dominating like this.
11) Cricket must never move to Stadium Australia.
12) Glenn McGrath must be given a chance at 10.
13) Captains should be more fun and give players like Hayden a bowl. A law could be introduced saying that each team member must bowl at least 1 over.
14) Jacques Kallis, Sean Pollock, Brian Lara, Shane Bond, Wasim Akram, Michael Vaughan and Sachin are the only players who would make the Australian side.
15) Murali shouldn't be playing.
16) Domestic cricket should broaden its' horizons and a comp should exist between SA, Aus and NZ.
17) Shane Watson shuldn't be playing international cricket yet, whilst Symonds should be in the test side for Martyn.
1) Yep
2) Yep
3) :lol: Yep
4) Yep
5) Don't agree with that
6) Nope
7) Nope
8) Yep either that or loosen up the third ump. (ie dont ever have him for lbws)
9) Slater had his chance, and hes not really performing for state at the moment
10) That would be cool
11) YES!
12) Yeah he deserves it with all the miracles hes pulled off at 11:rolleyes:
13) No
14) Most likely
15) Yes
16) Yes
17) Agree with the 1st bit, not the 2nd

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
10/ Brian Lara may well be the most under-rated fielder in the world.
11/ I'd take Gayle over any other ODI opener in world circket bar Hayden.
12/ Gayle is an under-rated ODI allrounder.
13/ Ramnarine is at least as good as MacGill.
14/ Banks has excellent defensive technique.
15/ Andy Flower is the best wicket-keeper/batsman to play the game.
16/ Larry Gomes was under-rated.
17/ There are worse than Khaled Mahmud.
18/ Wavell Hinds must be dropped every 5 games for 2 games at a time. He always seems to be in his best form when he is recalled.
19/ Jerome Taylor can get the ball to reverse swing.
20/ Wasim Akram is the most threatening pace bowler that I have ever seen.
21/ Ponting is a bigger wicket to get than Tendulkar.
22/ Ryan Hurley is adrenaline personified.

PY

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
11/ I'd take Gayle over any other ODI opener in world circket bar Hayden.
All seem reasonable except for this one.

I would take Trescothick at the moment, better IMO at improvisation (essential in OD cricket) but I have to say I haven't seen Gayle much :).

Another point is why Hayden?????I'd much prefer Gilchrist over Hayden. Gilly consistently murders ODI sides for breakfast.

Mr Mxyzptlk

PY said:
All seem reasonable except for this one.

1/ I would take Trescothick at the moment, better IMO at improvisation (essential in OD cricket) but I have to say I haven't seen Gayle much :).

2/ Another point is why Hayden?????I'd much prefer Gilchrist over Hayden. Gilly consistently murders ODI sides for breakfast.
1/ And I quote "I haven't seen Gayle much :)." :P Gayle can also bowl.

2/ But Hayden more consistently carries on to get scores whereas Gilchrist smashes it about but doesn't generally push home the advantage.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
Yep true PY hayden is SO overated OD. People seem to think because he is so good is tests he is also brilliant OD.

Mr Mxyzptlk

23/ Vasbert Drakes was under-rated.
24/ Robert Samuels and Mukesh Persad have been severely mishandled by the selectors.
25/ Stuart Williams is an enigma.
26/ Adam Hollioake should have been England ODI captain for some time now.
27/ Ian Ward is a good player.
28/ Reon King is the most unfortunate result of injury.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Mr Mxyzptlk said:
2/ But Hayden more consistently carries on to get scores whereas Gilchrist smashes it about but doesn't generally push home the advantage.
Upon further consideration, I would take Chris Gayle over any other opener in world cricket. No exceptions. Even Sachin, because Gayle IMO is a better bowler.

PY

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Hayden hasn't scored a OD century in 15 months (146* v Pakistan) whereas Gilchrist has made two since then (124 v England :( and 111 v India)

In terms of 50s, Gilchrist - 10 and Hayden - 9. I know they are only stats but they suggest a point contradictory to yours. I think both are excellent OD openers though.

Mr Mxyzptlk

PY said:
Hayden hasn't scored a OD century in 15 months (146* v Pakistan) whereas Gilchrist has made two since then (124 v England :( and 111 v India)

In terms of 50s, Gilchrist - 10 and Hayden - 9. I know they are only stats but they suggest a point contradictory to yours. I think both are excellent OD openers though.
Gilchrist has crossed 50 on 43 occasions in 171 innings. That's every 3.97 innings.

Hayden has crossed 50 on 20 occasions in 76 innings. That's every 3.8 innings.

Slight difference but overall Hayden also averages 6.5 points higher than Gilly.

Note that my comments of praise regarding Gayle are subject to being overblown due to the adrenaline which is still flowing following his clinic this morning. :)

Mr Mxyzptlk

Generally when referring to averages, people use the word 'points'. If I were to use runs, I would have to say runs per innings (as just saying runs would not suffice) and I'm too lazy to type out the extra 8 letters. :P

Neil Pickup

The whole concept of an average is runs per completed innings.

Anyway, a few steps later, it's "runs". Not "points". Ever.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Mr. Ponting said:
Yep true PY hayden is SO overated OD. People seem to think because he is so good is tests he is also brilliant OD.
Interistingly he's scored 1000 ODI runs in the last year, with a highest score of 98!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Neil Pickup said:
8/ Rik doesn't understand the Ashes being American ;)
Rik happens to understand the history of the Ashes but does not understand why England have to be the only team to play 5 match Test Series against the strongest team in the world every 2 years, something which not only ****s up every chance of a fair Test Championship, but also something I see quite pointless. Why not just cut it down to 3 Tests like everyone else?

Neil Pickup

Rik said:
Rik happens to understand the history of the Ashes but does not understand why England have to be the only team to play 5 match Test Series against the strongest team in the world every 2 years, something which not only ****s up every chance of a fair Test Championship, but also something I see quite pointless. Why not just cut it down to 3 Tests like everyone else?
All logic agrees with this.

The Ashes defies logic :)

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Neil Pickup said:
All logic agrees with this.

The Ashes defies logic :)
And everyone wonders why England never get too high in the Test Championship...playing the best side in the world for 5 Tests twice in every 4 years doesn't exactly help your position...

The Ashes could quite easily be incorperated into a Test Championship. Why not have the Ashes played for every time England and Australia play, in the Championship. I like the idea of a Test Championship anyway, you've got to have a focus, something to aim for.