• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Our prayers with David Hookes

chris.hinton

International Captain
this is sad news to hear.... ih eard that he been in a Fight is this true? but whatever happened it is really sad

All my Thoughts are with this Family

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
chris.hinton said:
this is sad news to hear.... ih eard that he been in a Fight is this true? but whatever happened it is really sad

All my Thoughts are with this Family
From what I have read and heard, he was trying to break up a fight and got jumped by a bouncer.

hourn

U19 Cricketer
the vic boys had a few problems with the bouncers, a bit of an altercation followed.

everyone tried to drop it and leave but the bouncers followed them down. hookesy was king hit, and has died.

the saddest day australia cricket has had in decades, if not ever.

unfortunately this is not the first and not the last time a person will die as a result of an over zealous bouncer, and probably 80% of them in Australia seem to be nothing more than power hungry steriod munchers without a brain :(

Last edited:

hourn

U19 Cricketer
Eyes_Only said:
And why does this not surprise me??:rolleyes:
it doensn't unfortunately.

and i've more or less been able to work out the story from people who aren't in the media but much more reliable, and the way it's all occured was so easy to resolve for anyone with half a brain, but ego maniac bouncers have cost a great character his life.

makes the blood boil! :!(

Last edited:

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
That's my point....The Cricketing World has lost a true champion because of the actions of some steroid-soaked meat-head!!

It makes me so damn angry!!:!(

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
hourn said:
the vic boys had a few problems with the bouncers, a bit of an altercation followed.

everyone tried to drop it and leave but the bouncers followed them down. hookesy was king hit, and has died.

the saddest day australia cricket has had in decades, if not ever.

unfortunately this is not the first and not the last time a person will die as a result of an over zealous bouncer, and probably 80% of them in Australia seem to be nothing more than power hungry steriod munchers without a brain :(
The problem with Australia is it is way to easy to get a security licsence...
99% of People who have security licsences should not hold one, they are there to cause the trouble not stop it...
From my position in the Australian Law enforcement area, it makes a mockery of the training that we go through when these clowns can do a 2 day course and get a minimum amount of power. There are no psych tests and background checks are very minimal, and until this is cleared up and little Security companies are shut down these problems will continue to occur...

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
So true Blewy...while I never got into any trouble with bouncers, friends of mine have....

The less said the better!!

hourn

U19 Cricketer
Blewy said:
99% of People who have security licsences should not hold one, they are there to cause the trouble not stop it...
From my position in the Australian Law enforcement area, it makes a mockery of the training that we go through when these clowns can do a 2 day course and get a minimum amount of power. There are no psych tests and background checks are very minimal, and until this is cleared up and little Security companies are shut down these problems will continue to occur...
yep can't agree more. without trying to take too much off topic, (should probaly start a related topic on another board), my mate has a security licence and said it was so redicolously easy. And he's quite a good bloke but i would lose a lot of respect for him if he provoked an incident like this.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Apparently he is dead. I am at school, and am behind the times. CricInfo, unfortunately, is blocked on the school intranet!:( :!(

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
They did a little bit on it on 'Today Tonight' and a bouncer who worked at the pub said that the incident happened 50 metres from the pub. The bouncer actually went after the group. I also heard that a bouncer had Darren Lehmann in a headlock and Hooksey was just trying to get the bouncer off him and that was when the bouncer hit him from behind and his head hit the road. The bouncer said he could hear it from inside the pub. He said it was like a loud clap.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Eyes_Only said:
Watching "Inside Cricket" will never be the same again!
No it will not be the same. I will be watching this week's episode with much interest. I was watching 'The Back Page' when the announcement about his death came though and the guys on the panel were chocking up, it was very sad.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The industry is owned by the bikies, man. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if it comes out that he's a Hell's Angel or at least hired by a company owned by them. Take it from someone who works for SA Police spending night after day chasing these guys.

As for the guy himself, I'd say he'd be unlucky to get murder in the first or second degree. I'd say the more likely charge to stick initially would be involuntary manslaughter. If his lawyers are good, it'll get pea-bargained down to assault with intent to cause grevious bodily harm but they'd have to be good.

ReallyCrazy

Banned
I just read that he passed away...

I didn't know much about him...actually I never even heard about him until about 7 weeks back when India had their tour match against Victoria. David Hookes created a little controversy saying how Ganguly treated the match like a big nets session and how India played very poorly. Unbeleivale that now 7 weeks later, he has passed away. :( Time takes away everything.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Warne is god said:
This is absolutely tragic, i'm going to the cricket on friday, i'm gonna make a banner with 4 words:

DO IT FOR HOOKESY
Nice idea, but I would be shocked if the game goes on - the players are not going to want to play really are they?