• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Our prayers with David Hookes

Slow Love™

International Captain
Andre said:
I don't think it's a good thing to speculate on charges, causes etc.

At the end of the day, a great man has passed on and we should be remembering him rather than small-talking.
Whatever you might think of how anxious some of us might be as to the perpetrator coming to justice, and how much you think we should remark on the circumstances of Hookes' death (which I can understand, to a degree, as I know that some websites/forums are nervous about legal issues regarding this), I can't believe you'd call it small-talk.

No offence intended, but small-talk is like, talking about the weather or how the renovation next door is coming along. Maybe we shouldn't be discussing possible prison sentences, or what might have happened that night etc, but calling it small-talk?

Anyhow, fair enough, I won't discuss it further.

Last edited:

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Andre said:
I don't think it's a good thing to speculate on charges, causes etc.

At the end of the day, a great man has passed on and we should be remembering him rather than small-talking.

Remembering is definately needed, but so is JUSTICE!!!!!

Nothing can be done to bring Hookesy back but this guy needs to be taken off the streets, apparently its the 2nd time he has done a similar thing....
:!( :!( :!( :!( :!(

Eclipse

International Debutant
This is very sad indeed.

It's very upsetting that this kind of thing can happen. There have been many incident's like this and it's about time somthing was done about it.

It's hard to think anything good could possibly come form souch an incedent but hopefully now somthing will be done so this never has to happen again.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
Mr.Freeman said:
Very sad this could happen and all the bloke is being charged with is assault
So far. The legal system can take its time. Give it a chance and see the final verdict.

anzac

International Debutant
ok I hope this clears up some of the misgivings re charges etc.......

there are various rules / requirements / obligations in the Judicial system that apply but I'll try keep this simple........

in serious offences it is usual practise to charge the suspect with a minor 'holding' charge

once the initial charge has been laid in Court this then gives the prosecution further time to gather & review their evidence regarding the more serious offence/s b4 having to appear b4 The Court again on the due date - sometimes only a week later............

at this time the 'holding' charge is usually withdrawn by the Prosecution and the more serious charges laid b4 The Court.....depending on the circumstances bail may then be opposed by the Prosecution..........

bottom line - don't read too much into the current situation, it's all part of the normal Judicial merry go round at the begining of any serious matter..............and it can take over 12 months b4 this may even reach Trial.......

:)

hourn

U19 Cricketer
anzac said:
ok I hope this clears up some of the misgivings re charges and it can take over 12 months b4 this may even reach Trial.......
:)
just wondering when the next victorian or federal elections are. i'm pretty sure the next federal elections and you can bet that every single political candidate in this country will ensure this guy is sentenced before election day.

anzac

International Debutant
hourn said:
just wondering when the next victorian or federal elections are. i'm pretty sure the next federal elections and you can bet that every single political candidate in this country will ensure this guy is sentenced before election day.
well this is supposed to be a federal election year......but the Pollies may not be able to do anything about speeding up the Judicial process - they'll have to be content to rattle their swords and have a go at the legislation for the industry.........after all that is what they are part of the legislative assembly for - to write, debate, vote on & pass legislation, or not as the case may be.....

we must not forget that it is their ITAB that has set these national standards for the Industry, and that Vic was one of several states govt bodies who vetoed the National Training Authority's attempts to get national standardisation & recognition of training & qualifications (and NOT because the Vic licensing / training requirements were any better than the national requirements)........

but the time it takes to get to trial is normal for the Judicial process....

eg everything starts in the lower Courts and then gets promoted to the higher Courts who hear the serious offences..........that alone can take several weeks depending on how busy the Court calendars are........

once it gets to the higher Court where it will eventually be heard the process starts over again and then a date is set for what is basically a trial without the Jury or voideux (sp?) this is to hear the evidence, make sure it is all correct & legal, and to determine if there is a case for the Defendant to answer b4 a Jury.......

the point to remember is that in Jury Trials it is the Jury that determines guilt of innocence, the Court acts as the venue & makes sure everyone obeys the rules.........this is all part of the process designed to try and give every defendant a fair trial.....

the date for the voideux hearing is again deterined by how busy the Courts are and the anticipated length of the hearing, which could be weeks or even months depending on how complicated the case is (although in this instance I would not anticipate any more than 3 - 5 days depending on defence strategies)...........

once the voideux hearing is completed a Trial date is then set for the case to go b4 a Jury and the same requirements apply re time frames...........

Supreme Court hearings are usually backed up months in advance .............it's not uncommon for a defendant to have been remanded in custody for more than 12 months b4 his case gets to trial!!!

bugger - I didn't want to make this appear so complicated........

Sudeep

International Captain
I haven't followed Australia domestic cricket for the past couple of years, so I have no idea how Victoria did under Hooksey, or what he was upto during the period.

But, from whatever I had seen of him, mostly through commentaries, he seemed to be a great person, and a brilliant cricketing brain. And a person like him didn't deserve this. It's just very very sad that it had to end this way.

RIP David Hookes.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Yeh, he may have said a few stupid things, but at the end of day nothing like that matters and we have lost a guy who comitted his life to the great game.. A tragic loss, and this Micevic needs to be brought to justice..

Craig

World Traveller
To show he that he thought of others by donating his vital organs to be donared out to those that need them when he died.

PY

International Coach
Nice article. Puts down in words the strong feeling shown by non-Australian as well as Australian cricket lovers.

anzac

International Debutant
haven't caught all the story yet but caught the headlines that it has generally been confirmed from statements from those present at the incident that Hookes threw the 1st punch.........

reports also that the defendant has failed to appear / report.......