• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* West Indies Tour of Bangladesh 2018

cnerd123

likes this
Didn't see the innings, but usually 250 is a winning score on slow BD tracks. Is this pitch exceptionally flat, or do BD have enough?

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Didn't see the innings, but usually 250 is a winning score on slow BD tracks. Is this pitch exceptionally flat, or do BD have enough?
Pitch was absolutely fine. Bishoo got a bit of turn but he turns it more than any of the others anyway. It was a bit slow but I would say 255 is just below par. No excuses if we lose this.

Beamer

This from someone on Cricinfo:

"I don't understand what BD is going to achieve by opening with two spinners. They can win this match but will this work in World Cup? Shouldn't they try to experiment for World Cup ?"
I agree with that, I think Bangladesh will really struggle in England and they are not even trying to prepare. I get that we are bad against spin but it must surely be hampering their preparations?

cnerd123

likes this
Absolutely.

You could argue that short term success = confidence = improved showing at a big event. They also do have Mashrafe and The Fizz to take the new ball in England. But our backup seamers are barely getting any game time or confidence, which means we'll be going into England heavily reliant on our spinners.

Then again, England ODI pitches are Roady McRoady Roads now. Probably just as useless for the quicks as they are for the spinners. Actually might not be such a bad strategy to go spin heavy. Look to take the pace of the ball, entice batsmen to target the short boundaries and hope they miscue.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Absolutely.

You could argue that short term success = confidence = improved showing at a big event. They also do have Mashrafe and The Fizz to take the new ball in England. But our backup seamers are barely getting any game time or confidence, which means we'll be going into England heavily reliant on our spinners.

Then again, England ODI pitches are Roady McRoady Roads now. Probably just as useless for the quicks as they are for the spinners. Actually might not be such a bad strategy to go spin heavy. Look to take the pace of the ball, entice batsmen to target the short boundaries and hope they miscue.
I disagreed with the criticism of them not thinking very long term with their Test selection and pitch preparation given where they are as a Test side, but I think it's a fair criticism in ODIs.

Beamer

Absolutely.

It's a fair point that they could try opening with spin in the WC. However, if they can't keep it quiet, they literally have no backup plan as the pacers are mostly substandard and have a serious lack of match practice. Still, maybe they are hoping to win this ODI, take the series and then give pacers more time in the 3rd match. We'll see.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Darren Bravo sucked in his return TBH. In fact, he'll be fighting for a spot with Samuels in the full-strength ODI XI now.

Gayle
Lewis
Hope
Junior Lara/Samuels
Hetmyer

That's the top 5.
Samuels is almost 38 and Bravo being shown faith in ODIs goes well for the Test team where he is a certainty when you consider Ambris and Powell play. but then again its WI Cricket, who knows.

Beamer

I hate watching our top order bat in ODI's. It's like we're stuck in the early 2000's when you wanted your batsman to get off to a quick start, then settle in, spend time in the middle before blasting off at the end. I don;t think they've been watching ODI's around the world.

We have 3 people in our top 4 who soak up lots of dot balls and then score quickly when they are finally in. Shai Hope, Darren Bravo and Marlon Samuels all bat similarly, the only difference being that Hope actually anchors the innings and averages well over 40. There's only room for one of those types of player, everyone else has to score quickly and rotate the strike well as a minimum. I would honestly give up on Marlon and Bravo (in ODI's, he should be playing tests).

We might as well lose trying to score at the pace required in modern ODI cricket through youngsters who have shown they can do it in List A cricket (Pooran, Allen and Ambris specifically) rather than try the same old thing over and over again. Our selectors defy belief. Their job is to look at our domestic talent, keep up with world trends and select the best team to deliver results for the West Indies. They have shown time and time again that they can't do that.

Beamer

Bravo over Samuels all day everyday, it isn't even close.
As I said previously, I'd select neither of them for the next series. Bravo belongs in the test team, he sucks at ODI's. Ironically, they have selected Bravo for ODI's and Ambris for tests when Ambris has been outstanding in List A cricket where he rotates the strike brilliantly. It's just rank bad selection.

My batting order would be:

Gayle
Lewis
Shai Hope (wk)
Hetmeyer
Ambris
Chase/Allen
Russell/Chase/Allen
Holder (c)
Spinner
Roach
Thomas

Borges

International Regular
West Indies have this game under control; now all they have to do is not to let the required run rate get absurdly high.

Beamer

The self-fulfilling implosion begins. Completely unnecessarily slow innings from Samuels also, means the required run-rate is 6 when even the slightest rotation of strike would have done. Awful.

Borges

International Regular
Even if they have, somewhat injudiciously, squandered their position of dominance, the West Indies are still very much in the game.

cnerd123

likes this
Overthrows, dropped catches. Choking and throwing it away again.

BD are going to be the new SA when it comes to dealing with crunch situations in ODIs one day

TestMatch

U19 Cricketer
Quality knock from Hope; he's very proactive in ODIs once he gets beyond 40-50.

I'd drop Samuels and Bravo from the ODI team, and bring in Lewis and Pooran.

Aritro

International Regular
Congratulations to the Windies. Absolutely magnificent batting from Shai Hope. Was a privelege to watch.