• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official** West Indies in England***

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Nice yorker, but really awful technique from Gayle there. Literally moved out of the way; an ODI shot if ever there was one.

Probably cheered Prince & Scaly up that dismissal; not much you could say that about! :p

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Notice how that wicket ball was much fuller (no pun intended towards the thumb man). Bowling fuller is important on this pitch. It means that the batsman has less time after the ball bounces which can make a big difference when the pitch is very slow.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nice work Liam Plunkett. If he does well here and manages to get a few wickets, then he'll be a very strong contender for the #8 spot for a few years to come, given that he can bat a fair bit more than any of the other bowlers.

pasag

RTDAS
Nice yorker, but really awful technique from Gayle there. Literally moved out of the way; an ODI shot if ever there was one.

Probably cheered Prince & Scaly up that dismissal; not much you could say that about! :p
Lol, love that avatar back btw.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Holding also saying you need to pitch the ball up speaking regarding the movement aspect. That is another important reason why you need to pitch the ball up here which I should have mentioned in my post.

grecian

Well done Plunkers. What Gayle was doing is anyones guess, mind.

Pitching the ball up, has got to be the way to go here, as others have said, its pretty slow, off the pitch.

PY

International Coach
Nice work Liam Plunkett. If he does well here and manages to get a few wickets, then he'll be a very strong contender for the #8 spot for a few years to come, given that he can bat a fair bit more than any of the other bowlers.
I would hope that he'll be a very good number 9 with Freddie at #7 and Prior @ #8. I do think Plunkett has serious potential, needs overs for Durham though which means sending him back when he isn't playing Tests.

Better than Saj anyway, top compliment. :laugh:

Perm

I would hope that he'll be a very good number 9 with Freddie at #7 and Prior @ #8. I do think Plunkett has serious potential, needs overs for Durham though which means sending him back when he isn't playing Tests.

Better than Saj anyway, top compliment. :laugh:
Depending on whether the selectors want to go for Flintoff in a 4 man attack, we could see him batting at #6 or #7. But that is a whole different story, I'd like to see him at #7. Plunkett does have potential, but I'd still feel more confident with James Anderson. Not sure why but I think Anderson will turn out to be the better bowler, hopefully in both forms of the game.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
354 is achievable on this pitch. England should have probably batted 1.25 hours, got a 100 runs more and then declared.. Aiming to bat just once would have been a much better approach.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Depending on whether the selectors want to go for Flintoff in a 4 man attack, we could see him batting at #6 or #7. But that is a whole different story, I'd like to see him at #7. Plunkett does have potential, but I'd still feel more confident with James Anderson. Not sure why but I think Anderson will turn out to be the better bowler, hopefully in both forms of the game.
Agreed really. Unlike many it seems, I rate Plunkett as someone with semi-serious batting potential. He looked dire against Kaneria in a test or two, but I've been fairly impressed with his technique, especially against the quicks. Obviously he's not in the allrounder category yet (or even the bowler category, really. :p) but I think he could develop into a good one with time. If England insist on rushing him in to international cricket as a bowler though, I fear the batting might not ever be developed as much as it would if he'd been left to play for Durham.

Plunkett has infinitely more use to England as a future allrounder than a current bowler IMO, especially given the fact that he's clearly not test standard with the ball yet (And SP, before you bite, I rate the higher than most so your post would be better served giving someone else a spray IMO).

Perm

Agreed really. Unlike many it seems, I rate Plunkett as someone with semi-serious batting potential. He looked dire against Kaneria in a test or two, but I've been fairly impressed with his technique, especially against the quicks. Obviously he's not in the allrounder category yet (or even the bowler category, really. :p) but I think he could develop into a good one with time. If England insist on rushing him in to international cricket as a bowler though, I fear the batting might not ever be developed as much as it would if he'd been left to play for Durham.

Plunkett has infinitely more use to England as a future allrounder than a current bowler IMO, especially given the fact that he's clearly not test standard with the ball yet (And SP, before you bite, I rate the higher than most so your post would be better served giving someone else a spray IMO).
I don't think he'll ever be an all-rounder, maybe a decent bowler who can bat a bit at #8 or #8 (similar to Lee). You make a good point about how his batting is unlikely to develop if he doesn't get much action for Durham.