• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official** West Indies in England***

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Looks like a great day out there, Harmison looked cheerful in the pre-match interview, don't know if that means anything, but I reckon he'll take a handful today.
According to some early season reports he has been bowling very quickly with a good deal of bounce and has looked good this morning from the few overs he has bowled. I really do hope that he does pick up quite a few wickets, he makes the whole England team look more deadly when he is bowling well.

stumpski

International Captain
Prior has looked tidy behind the sticks so far.

I'm sure it's been answered already, but what's with the yellow ribbons?

Perm

They are to show support for the little girl that was taken from her apartment in Spain/Portugal.

pasag

RTDAS

For the little kid that went missing in Portugal. Was going to have a rant on it, but thought it might be distasteful.

stumpski

International Captain
They are to show support for the little girl that was taken from her apartment in Spain/Portugal.
Oh OK, thanks (it was Portugal in fact). They're doing something at the Cup Final later, I gather.

I didn't want to plough back through 30-odd pages of posts, you tend to miss a lot of cricket doing that. :)

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Richard said:
He had. After his first season he was at one point averaging over 50.
His first season is hardly a good measure, though. Prior has been playing first class cricket for 6 years.

Richard said:
Jones himself doesn't have anything to do with Prior - but the fact is their cases do bear similarity. Therefore Prior's instant success has to have such a thing borne, at least at the back, of the mind.
It defies logic though to actually hold the similarities against Prior, merely because Jones failed. Unless the fact that Jones was an instant success and scored a quickfire hundred against a poor attack was actually part of the reason for his demise, then it really makes no sense to say "Don't get excited - look what happened to Jones." Jones's demise was caused by his dire shot selection - something we've yet to see from Prior, so to draw comparisons negatively would be completely unfair and unnecessarily pessimistic (and yes, I know you hold the opinion that pessimism is usually a good idea - but it comes a time where it's OTT and unnecessary). First class statistics tell us that Prior is a significantly better batsman than Jones to begin with, which is reason enough to wipe the Jones case from our heads - not to mention the fact that Prior has better footwork and better shot selection than Jones anyway.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Ganga looks infinitely better then I remember, at least so far.
He's always had an excellent technique but has struggled to convert it into actual runs for the most part. His results have improved since his last recall though - expecting him to score a few here.

Swervy

International Captain
I'm getting mildly irritated at people giving me a bit of stick for a nothing post.
but you have to expect some stick given you track record of bringing up times when others have maybe got things a bit wrong. You tend to make judgements based not on watching, but what has tended to happen in the past to other players (an example is this discussion about the comparison between Prior and Jones, when in fact there is NO comparison). You did it a couple of years back about Alastair Cook as well.

Just forget about it and dont get so worked up about it

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Hoggard not really getting it right here. Dissapointing bowling to Gayle who he really should be able to dismiss given his technique and the amount of swing he's getting.

Perm

I noticed that Hoggard hasn't been getting too much carry through to the keeper, at least from the few balls I have seen. Do you think that the cordon is standing too far back, or he just isn't getting much bounce?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
A problem with this pitch is that the ball gets extremely slow once it bounces. Despite the Windies bowlers not being the best, it was surprising to see how easily Prior played the bouncers bowled at him. You can never play bouncers that easily except if the pitch is extremely slow. Despite the movement and swing the bowlers are getting, getting wickets will always be tough on a pitch like this. I will not say that draw is the favorite though (barring a fair bit of rain). Would still back England to win the game.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I noticed that Hoggard hasn't been getting too much carry through to the keeper, at least from the few balls I have seen. Do you think that the cordon is standing too far back, or he just isn't getting much bounce?
Well, the latter would still make the former true. Out of the attack now - not surprising.