• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** West Indies in England Thread

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Swervy said:
and then completely drench by the heaviest downpour I have seen in years.
You've got to be exaggerating. It was heavy, but not that bad...

Swervy said:
Also got a slight headache from the 10 pints drunk
maybe thats why you thought it was so heavy

Swervy

International Captain
steds said:
You've got to be exaggerating. It was heavy, but not that bad...
no i swear, we got off the metrolink thingy and there was lightning all over the place, and in the space of running 50 yards, I was completely soaked through,with water squelching around in my trainers and my jeans almost falling down coz of the weight of the water...so that was in the space of about 20 seconds...it was unbeleivable

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
the thing is i can see him only getting one innings at the Oval and it could be in a situation where he comes out to hit it

i wonder how long it will take for his batting and bowling average to 'cross'

When he walked out to bat in the second innings at Lords last year there was 33 between his batting and his bowling, now there is just 5

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
superkingdave said:
the thing is i can see him only getting one innings at the Oval and it could be in a situation where he comes out to hit it

i wonder how long it will take for his batting and bowling average to 'cross'

When he walked out to bat in the second innings at Lords last year there was 33 between his batting and his bowling, now there is just 5
I think I read somewhere that it's the record for a number six, or something like that...

Langeveldt

Soutie
Swervy said:
no i swear, we got off the metrolink thingy and there was lightning all over the place, and in the space of running 50 yards, I was completely soaked through,with water squelching around in my trainers and my jeans almost falling down coz of the weight of the water...so that was in the space of about 20 seconds...it was unbeleivable
Look at the national news headlines if you want to see what has been going on down here with the weather in recent days...

I'm from near Boscastle (Bodmin).. Absolutely terrible what just happened down there... :(
We've had stuff heavier than any thunderstorm I have ever seen anywhere in the world.. Global warming? pah.. Day after tomorrow maybe...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Neil Pickup said:
I think I read somewhere that it's the record for a number six, or something like that...
I believe that technically it's not as he batted 5 this time.

So he shares 6 in a row from number 6 with a bloke called Sobers.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Swervy said:
You make it sound like a war. I got soaked, but I can't say the weight of the water was dragging me down.

Swervy

International Captain
One thing that really struck me at Old trafford was how much everyone was just waiting for Flintoff to come out and bat. When he came in at number 5, there was a huge cheer,and not many went for a beer or anything after that

for the first 15 minutes of his innings you could hear that people were just willing him not to get out, everytime he hit the ball, there was a ripple around the ground...and after the first part of his innings, when it was obvious he had his eye in, there was huge anticipation of fireworks from Flintoff.

I havent seen this kind of effect on a crowd since 1986 when Botham came back from his ban for smoking the skunk

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Swervy said:
One thing that really struck me at Old trafford was how much everyone was just waiting for Flintoff to come out and bat. When he came in at number 5, there was a huge cheer,and not many went for a beer or anything after that

for the first 15 minutes of his innings you could hear that people were just willing him not to get out, everytime he hit the ball, there was a ripple around the ground...and after the first part of his innings, when it was obvious he had his eye in, there was huge anticipation of fireworks from Flintoff.

I havent seen this kind of effect on a crowd since 1986 when Botham came back from his ban for smoking the skunk
It's almost as if he's god. Isn't it?

Tom Halsey

International Coach
It appears that this winning habit has been so well learned that even a Test of rain and bad light and West Indies can't stop it.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Tom Halsey said:
It appears that this winning habit has been so well learned that even a Test of rain and bad light and West Indies can't stop it.
We'll see how well this habit is learned when the Aussies come over

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Thoughts on Ian Bell's inclusion at the Oval? In awesome form, looks mature for a 22-year-old, useful bowler too - he was the obvious choice in my eyes, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's not long before he gives the selectors yet another headache. A certainty for South Africa tour squad as well.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Barney Rubble said:
Thoughts on Ian Bell's inclusion at the Oval? In awesome form, looks mature for a 22-year-old, useful bowler too - he was the obvious choice in my eyes, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's not long before he gives the selectors yet another headache. A certainty for South Africa tour squad as well.
I feel sorry for Paul Collingwood, who has been passed over twice(even if the first one was for an openers spot) and will find himself further down the pecking order when Pietersen is available.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Collingwood should never have got close to the Test side, he is one of those hugely overpraised average county players who got lucky. Simon Jones is another. As is Anthony McGrath. And Richard Dawson. And Ricky Clarke. Barely good enough for their county sides leave alone England.

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Interesting you put Collingwood in the same box as Dawson.

Remind me just how terrible Collingwood was in his Tests... and the atrocious ODI century in the VB Series, and the pathetic way he batted with the tail in the WC against Pakistan.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
steds said:
I feel sorry for Paul Collingwood, who has been passed over twice(even if the first one was for an openers spot) and will find himself further down the pecking order when Pietersen is available.
he is injured atm, he was told to rest so his knee is ok for the ICC trophy.

gio

U19 Cricketer
All these batsman that are coming through will really put pressure on the England lineup. At the moment, the only safe places in the top 6 are flintoff, Vaughan and Thorpe. The rest could be dropped if they have a string of failures. Just think, if everyone is fit, then waiting in the line is Butcher, Bell, Collingwood, Pietersen, along with the likes of Gidman, Lumb, Wagh and Powell, not to mention some of the young pospects such as Shafayat and Cook.