• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** West Indies in England Thread

Craig

World Traveller
West Indies off to a flyer v Derbyshire - 120-4 at a run rate of 5.95.

Brian Lara, Corey Collymore, Pedro Collins (think it was more back related), Jermaine Lawson not playing. Chris Gayle showed a brief but thrilling cameo with 42 off 24 balls.

I hope Carlton Baugh gets some runs.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Craig said:
West Indies off to a flyer v Derbyshire - 120-4 at a run rate of 5.95.

Brian Lara, Corey Collymore, Pedro Collins (think it was more back related), Jermaine Lawson not playing. Chris Gayle showed a brief but thrilling cameo with 42 off 24 balls.

I hope Carlton Baugh gets some runs.
120-4 is hardly good tho is it :) no matter what the run rate

159-5 now

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
SpaceMonkey said:
120-4 is hardly good tho is it :) no matter what the run rate

159-5 now
220ish all out in about 40 overs. Another exercise in buffoonery from the Windies. This suggests to me that they're not in the least bit interested in this game and perhaps the rest of the tour

Craig

World Traveller
You may have a valid point about Giles being a journeyman - not a real star. When he doesn't bowl that negative line way outside leg stump and just waiting for a batsman to get himself out, that is when I dislike as such.

badgerhair

U19 Vice-Captain
Craig said:
You may have a valid point about Giles being a journeyman - not a real star. When he doesn't bowl that negative line way outside leg stump and just waiting for a batsman to get himself out, that is when I dislike as such.
So, how often does he bowl that negative line way outside leg stump, then?

As far as I can tell, he's used it in about two spells since the tour of India where it was a strategic plan to reduce SRT's strike rate.

Otherwise, his bowling has been no more negative than that of someone else who frequently pitches outside the right-hander's leg stump, one SK Warne. I look forward to your diatribes against Warne's negativity, or your acknowledgement that you are castigating Giles for a tactic he uses very occasionally in an effort to curb batsmen on the rampage rather than commenting on the way he usually bowls.

It's quite odd, actually, since in the one Test he played on the last Ashes tour, he was highly effective, but then you'd prefer to hang on to myths rather than evidence derived from real play.

Cheers,

Mike

Craig

World Traveller
I dislike all bowlers who bowl just waiting for a batsman to get themselves out, that includes from Warne to your beloved Ashley Fraser Giles.

There is nothing wrong in doing what he does, except when he is hoping for batsman to have a brain explosion and hole out to mid on when trying to send the ball into the carpark.

Craig

World Traveller
marc71178 said:
More criticism of a plan that wasn't his idea, but Nasser's.

And guess what, that plan actually worked!
I am wondering Marc did you think Bodyline was a good idea since it worked and England won the Ashes?

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Craig said:
I am wondering Marc did you think Bodyline was a good idea since it worked and England won the Ashes?
Giles bowling two feet outside leg-stump doesn't put the batsman in any mortal danger though.

Craig

World Traveller
That isn't my point though.

Marc said the plan was thought up by Hussain and it worked, so I am asking him that whether Bodyline was a good idea because it thought up by Jardine and it worked with England winning the Ashes.

Only he can answer ir (if he does).

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
Derbyshire bowled out for 188; Castro and The Prophet pressing their claims for places in the 3rd test side with 5 and 3 wickets respectively.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
badgerhair said:
So, how often does he bowl that negative line way outside leg stump, then?

As far as I can tell, he's used it in about two spells since the tour of India where it was a strategic plan to reduce SRT's strike rate.

Otherwise, his bowling has been no more negative than that of someone else who frequently pitches outside the right-hander's leg stump, one SK Warne. I look forward to your diatribes against Warne's negativity, or your acknowledgement that you are castigating Giles for a tactic he uses very occasionally in an effort to curb batsmen on the rampage rather than commenting on the way he usually bowls.

It's quite odd, actually, since in the one Test he played on the last Ashes tour, he was highly effective, but then you'd prefer to hang on to myths rather than evidence derived from real play.

Cheers,

Mike
warne barely ever bowls there!!!! he mostly pitches it on leg-middle/leg. macgill however, because he turns the ball a bit more perhaps, does pitch outside leg. but warne?!? i think you may be just a tad jealous in that comment...

badgerhair

U19 Vice-Captain
Nnanden said:
warne barely ever bowls there!!!! he mostly pitches it on leg-middle/leg. macgill however, because he turns the ball a bit more perhaps, does pitch outside leg. but warne?!? i think you may be just a tad jealous in that comment...
Remind me where the ball with which he bowled Gatting in the First Test of the 1993 Ashes pitched.

Cheers,

Mike

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
That is one of the most stupid similes I've ever seen.

I don't remember International outcry about Giles' bowling and the near breakdown of cricketing relations between England and India over it.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
badgerhair said:
Remind me where the ball with which he bowled Gatting in the First Test of the 1993 Ashes pitched.

Cheers,

Mike
Two things here:

1) That was only one ball

2) It wasn't negative bowling anyway

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Nnanden said:
Warne bowls there much more often than MacGill. It isn't negative bowling, but he does bowl there - his natural line is middle and leg, it's mine too. But that means you are occasionally going to slip outside leg, no-one is that acurate. He also bowls on that line on purpose occasionally too. As soon as he bowls outside off, he pulls it down short alot. I do too.

MacGill meanwhile seems, from what I have seen, to have a natural line pitching outside off, which often means the batsman can leave the five balls out of 6 in the over on a good length, and cut, or something similar, the poor ball per over that MacGill regularly bowls for 4. The only thing that the batsman has to worry about is his wrong'un.

Last edited:

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Craig said:
I dislike all bowlers who bowl just waiting for a batsman to get themselves out, that includes from Warne to your beloved Ashley Fraser Giles.
Yes, Warne always bowls so negatively, I mean...he's never got anyone else out with a wicket-taking ball...least of all in The Ashes '93. 8-)

Warne never 'waits' for a wicket, and Giles has done it only a couple of times as a team tactic, not his idea, to Tendulkar.