• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** West Indies in England Thread

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
And more runs for Trescothick - nice when you have that many players capable of tons!

Stage set for a Flintoff special tomorrow...
Yep, a nice Flintoff / Jones cameo b4 lunch maybe to push the lead to 500 and we declare.

Revelation

U19 Debutant
Lara-9980 runs in 192 innings
Tendulkar-9470 runs in 184 innings

Tendulkar trails Lara by 510 runs but leads by 8 innings. In order to beat Lara, he'll need (assuming Lara gets 10,000 in his next innings) 530 in 8 innings to BEAT Lara and 530 in 9 to TIE. That means an average of 66.25 to beat and 58.89 to tie.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
biased indian said:
what is the WI plyers doing aganist giles. basically what he is doing is pitching the ball out side the legstump all that they have to do is just pad him away .but then also as the last wicket that he got the umpires might still give u out
5 of the top 7 of WI are lefties, you cant pad away the ball like that and expect the umpire to not lose patience and just give them out. The last wicket only just pitched outside leg so it wasnt THAT bad of a decision.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
biased indian said:
what is the WI plyers doing aganist giles. basically what he is doing is pitching the ball out side the legstump all that they have to do is just pad him away .but then also as the last wicket that he got the umpires might still give u out
I you're a leftie, you can't do that.

If your right handed, he was pitching it about middle and leg, so you can't do that either. Much as people refuse to accept it, he's a good bowler.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
tooextracool said:
he didnt look like taking wickets at all......precisely why out of all the bowlers he bowled the least.
So why did he have a catch dropped then?

Because, although the ball itself wasn't amazing, he built pressure. Sarwan played and missed alot, and couldn't score. He then played a false shot, and shouldn't really have got a century.

I don't know what you base your opinions on. CricInfo again?

Craig

World Traveller
marc71178 said:
Why should this one innings be any different than the last year of consistently good performances with both bat AND ball that haven't changed your opinion?
So you would rather I didn't change my opinion?

You have proved it, there is no pleasing you.

Craig

World Traveller
marc71178 said:
And more runs for Trescothick - nice when you have that many players capable of tons!

Stage set for a Flintoff special tomorrow...
But it does show you the lack of quality of the WI and I guess the NZ bowling and the flatness of the wickets.

Craig

World Traveller
My opinion on day 3:

- Really one must be disappionted in the way Lara got out, sure Flintoff had delivered that yorker and had him unsettled the ball before, but there is no excuse to going and playing a loose shot away from the body especially from a cricketing great, but if there was to be any fairness, it was a fine catch by Thorpe.

- What is up with Ridley Jacobs? He plays a poor shot away from his body with a lack of foot movement, and then he does the cardinal sin and steps in front of Lara and stills what would be a dolly for Lara. And it wasn't as though it was going all that fast, as you dive over, not step. Had Thorpe had not have played it, he probably would have gotten a wide.

- While I am on the subject on poor batting, I can't go past Dwayne Bravo. He could claim to be a bit unlucky as the ball just clipped the off stump, and it could be argued that it was a good ball by Giles, but I think it was poor batting. I know I will probably get told that cricketers a human, but that is a defeatist attitude IMO. I think Bravo was better of playing it off the back foot, and that way he could have hit through the leg or off side, or padded the ball away and it would have been tough to be given out LBW.

- In that said, Ashley Giles must be a strong chance of man-of-the-series, along with Flintoff and a few others.

- You must commend Simon Taufell for not giving Strauss out, when I first saw it, I thought he had gotten a very fine inside edge on to his pad.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Craig said:
My opinion on day 3:

- Really one must be disappionted in the way Lara got out, sure Flintoff had delivered that yorker and had him unsettled the ball before, but there is no excuse to going and playing a loose shot away from the body especially from a cricketing great, but if there was to be any fairness, it was a fine catch by Thorpe.
Agreed.
- What is up with Ridley Jacobs? He plays a poor shot away from his body with a lack of foot movement, and then he does the cardinal sin and steps in front of Lara and stills what would be a dolly for Lara. And it wasn't as though it was going all that fast, as you dive over, not step. Had Thorpe had not have played it, he probably would have gotten a wide.
Jacobs did the right thing by going for it himself - it should have been a relatively simple catch but he didn't move to it properly. It wouldn't have been a wide.

- While I am on the subject on poor batting, I can't go past Dwayne Bravo. He could claim to be a bit unlucky as the ball just clipped the off stump, and it could be argued that it was a good ball by Giles, but I think it was poor batting. I know I will probably get told that cricketers a human, but that is a defeatist attitude IMO. I think Bravo was better of playing it off the back foot, and that way he could have hit through the leg or off side, or padded the ball away and it would have been tough to be given out LBW.
Sarwan was really the only one to play Giles convincingly I think. I imagine Bravo has very little experience against spinners, particularly left-armers. Padding it away would have been insane though.
- In that said, Ashley Giles must be a strong chance of man-of-the-series, along with Flintoff and a few others.
Still a long way to go in the series, too hard to predict.

Craig

World Traveller
I think if he was on the back foot, and padded it away with his front pad, it would have created doubt for the umpire to give him out.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Craig said:
I think if he was on the back foot, and padded it away with his front pad, it would have created doubt for the umpire to give him out.
If he was on the back foot it would have been even more obvious where the ball was going to end up. Not offering a shot on the back foot in front of the stumps is suicide.

Craig

World Traveller
The ball was going past off stump.

Even if he went on to the back foot, and didn't pad the ball away, he could still use his bat. It isn't easy for a left arm spinner bowling over a wicket to right hander to get a LBW.

Michael Holding said Bravo should be picked as a bowler who can bat and isn't good enough for number 6, at this stage, anybody agree?

Revelation

U19 Debutant
i don't. Bravo has played for T&T and from what i have seen of him, it's more of the opposite (a batsman who can bowl). he has a few first class centuries and he hasn't played that many matches. his highest score is 197 while his best bowling isn't even close to that.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
So you would rather I didn't change my opinion?

You have proved it, there is no pleasing you.

So you are finally accpeting you were wrong then?

It's taken so long I didn't think you'd ever come round.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:

Because it's inconceivable that Flintoff did him with a great bit of bowling isn't it?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Revelation said:
i don't. Bravo has played for T&T and from what i have seen of him, it's more of the opposite (a batsman who can bowl). he has a few first class centuries and he hasn't played that many matches. his highest score is 197 while his best bowling isn't even close to that.

6-11 - not far off.

55 FC wickets @ 21.50 so far, and a good start to his bowling career in Tests.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
100 for Tresco and run out

Flintoff in, though i think he'll miss the boat this time - hope i'm proved wrong!

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
marc71178 said:
Because it's inconceivable that Flintoff did him with a great bit of bowling isn't it?
Or is it because Lara went chasing after the ball when he didn't have to play at it?

Believe it or not, batsmen do decide what shots to play at the ball, he obviously decided to play a shot at it.

Craig

World Traveller
Gerient Jones going an uncharastic 3 off 18 balls, and Flintoff looking to let loose.

England 212/5 with a lead of 442.

And I must commend Gayle for his tight bowling effort so far. 10-3-25-1, not bad at all.