• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies in Australia

Blaze

Banned
greg said:
After Matthew Hoggard's fine there must be a few Australians in danger of losing a few pennies in this match.

I can't comment on Hoggard but Lee is bordering on being a disgrace IMO.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
FaaipDeOiad said:
Lee really is having a wonderful series. He's bowled one poor spell in each test so far, and quite a number of very good ones. Good signs for his future as a test bowler.
Agreed, the spells that I've seen have really impressed me, I really hope he can keep it up.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Blaze said:
Frankly, I think the whole idea is getting ridiculous.

It's going to get to the stage that a bowler's going to have to appeal for 'bowled'.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Blaze said:
What exactly did Lee do wrong?

He appealed loudly.

Some were turned down and some were upheld.

Last time I checked, that was called cricket.

greg

International Debutant
On my viewing sample of two balls Warne's antics were far worse.

Incidentally what is the law that says the bowler has to appeal? Last I checked the laws don't distinguish between bowler, wicketkeeper, or fine leg. If you penalise the bowler for celebrating without appealing then what about wicketkeepers, who do so EVERY time they take a catch?

However i agree that what isn't on, especially noticeable with Lee and Warne, is celebrating (or appealing) and then spending tens of seconds showing clear and open dissent when the decision doesn't go his way.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
social said:
What exactly did Lee do wrong?

He appealed loudly.

Some were turned down and some were upheld.

Last time I checked, that was called cricket.
I believe the rule now is that you are supposed to turn round, make eye-contact with the umpire, appeal, solve the umpire's daughter's quadratic equation homework and finally write a 500 word piece on why you felt that the ball was deserving of a wicket without using the word 'hopscotch'.

It was the final point that snookered Brett on a couple of occasions.

greg

International Debutant
luckyeddie said:
I believe the rule now is that you are supposed to turn round, make eye-contact with the umpire, appeal, solve the umpire's daughter's quadratic equation homework and finally write a 500 word piece on why you felt that the ball was deserving of a wicket without using the word 'hopscotch'.

It was the final point that snookered Brett on a couple of occasions.
Is that just for catches to the Keeper, or does a skier to midwicket require it as well?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
greg said:
Is that just for catches to the Keeper, or does a skier to midwicket require it as well?
No, that's for anyone who's out 'MJD'.

Incidentally, that method of dismissal is to be credited to the bowler in future and will count in his averages, provided he can successfully annex the Sudetenland.

(MJD = 'Michael Jackson Dismissal' - also known as 'Handling the ball').

Other methods of dismissal require different equally diverse and unlikely appeals, some of which include marmalade.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
We should make it a requirement that you have to make 10,000 FC runs before you get a baggygreen. Hodge and Hussey look like old pro's.

howardj

International Coach
Linda said:
We should make it a requirement that you have to make 10,000 FC runs before you get a baggygreen. Hodge and Hussey look like old pro's.
Who are they up against, though?

Josh

International Regular
age_master said:
thats one way to try and secure your spot. run out the competition....

very poor from Hodge
I knew someone would blame it on him. You lot just can't accept that he's there.

If Symond's hadn't stopped, he was comfortably in, easy single, you're all nuts!!

howardj

International Coach
andyc said:
The West Indies
Case closed.

That's why I wouldn't be reading too much into anything that happens in this series - especially guys who are piling on the runs. I mean, the first time in a long time that Australia came up against a very good bowling attack - on the Ashes tour - look what happened. By contrast, the Windies' quicks can barely land two balls in the same spot during the one over, let alone exert any sort of sustained pressure.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Josh said:
I knew someone would blame it on him. You lot just can't accept that he's there.

If Symond's hadn't stopped, he was comfortably in, easy single, you're all nuts!!
Dead right. Easy single, but Krusty panicked.

As for Cheaty, he played a good knock for the team under the circumstances, especially when he kept running up and down the middle of the pitch. Top bloke.

howardj

International Coach
Josh said:

Nice logic. :wacko:

parttimer

U19 Cricketer
luckyeddie said:
Dead right. Easy single, but Krusty panicked.

As for Cheaty, he played a good knock for the team under the circumstances, especially when he kept running up and down the middle of the pitch. Top bloke.
Yes it'd be good to know why has to do that