• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies in Australia

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Interesting. Pitch looks very flat, and there's no bounce or pace in it, but everyone, even Symonds, seems to be getting movement off the seam.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
parttimer said:
Symonds getting more movement than Mcgrath & Lee
He certainly wasn't moving it more than McGrath. The ball that got Sarwan went a mile.

Still, impressive stuff from Symonds, for a part-timer.

parttimer

U19 Cricketer
FaaipDeOiad said:
He certainly wasn't moving it more than McGrath. The ball that got Sarwan went a mile.

Mcgrath's been pretty gun barrell str8 and not getting a great deal of seam movement when he's pitching it on the off. Sarwan was unlucky to go really from the first one that pitched in a good spot and moved. That said he's thrown in a few good yorkers and has bowled ok. I don't think he's the force he once was tho.

Nice to see Symonds getting some seam and a bit of tail off to the left hander from around the wicket. How long since we've seen an Aussie bowler do that consistently?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
parttimer said:
Mcgrath's been pretty gun barrell str8 and not getting a great deal of seam movement when he's pitching it on the off. Sarwan was unlucky to go really from the first one that pitched in a good spot and moved. That said he's thrown in a few good yorkers and has bowled ok. I don't think he's the force he once was tho.

Nice to see Symonds getting some seam and a bit of tail off to the left hander from around the wicket. How long since we've seen an Aussie bowler do that consistently?
Not the force he once was? Are you kidding? If anything, since his return last year he's been better than ever before.

parttimer

U19 Cricketer
FaaipDeOiad said:
Not the force he once was? Are you kidding? If anything, since his return last year he's been better than ever before.
I'd agree with you if you had excepted the Ashes. I'm a great fan of Mcgrath and i was positive he'd be excellent during the Ashes from the way he's bowled since his comeback, particularly in NZ. But, aside from Lords where the pitch is tailormade for him he was quite poor. No doubt that part of the reason was his lack of fitness, but he was no where near his best. I just get the feeling his age is starting to catch up with him

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Top_Cat said:
I'm tipping Hodge for a big Test. Either a really good 50 or 100. He seems to want it pretty badly and I get the feeling he's at the top of his game.
He should have been dropped for his comments on 'no-one deserves this more than me'. Confidence is one thing, being an idiot is another.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
FaaipDeOiad said:

Symonds is hardly a part-timer, he bowls as many overs as the selected bowlers when he plays first class and one day cricket for Qld.

sqwerty

U19 Cricketer
Just went outside to get some lunch and noticed the cricket was on telly.

Forgot the test started today......This tour sure has captured my imagination !!

Just noticed Aus only picked 2 quicks......what have they said about the Aus selected side? Unusual combination but not bad I guess

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
Symonds is hardly a part-timer, he bowls as many overs as the selected bowlers when he plays first class and one day cricket for Qld.
Well... he averages 12 overs a game in FC cricket, which is 6 an innings... pretty much part-timer fare. I don't think you could class him as an all-rounder in the longer form, though he is in List-A/ODI cricket.

sqwerty

U19 Cricketer
Mister Wright said:
He should have been dropped for his comments on 'no-one deserves this more than me'. Confidence is one thing, being an idiot is another.
Is that what Hodge said?

Reminds me of MacGills comments everytime it's touch and go whether or not he'll be selected. He always says something like "I know I'll make the difference" or "the selectors should be playing 2 spinners". I always think of the quick he is vying for a spot with probably thinking "Shut the f**k up Stuart and let the selectors make their own mind up"