• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies in Australia

tooextracool

International Coach
social said:
Actually, I dont think Ive ever seen Pollock swing the ball consistently and Ive probably seen him play 30 tests. High arm action, seam upright, gets people out with seam and bounce.
nope its quite amusing how people tend to think that mcgrath and pollock are exactly alike. Pollock has swung the ball on many many occasions and its no secret that graham thorpe himself suggested that he had problems playing pollock because he got extremely close to the stumps and swung the ball both ways.

social said:
Jobes bowled a few balls that moved away followed by dead straight delivery. Good bowling but no swing..
i suggest that you watch the game at TB closely then. there were plenty of times when he sent balls down the leg side that were obvious inswingers.

social said:
FYI, Hoggard rarely, if ever, got above 130 in the entire Ashes (he was decidedly medium pace ordinary for all bar one or 2 spells) whilst Bracken averages low 130s and is capable of bowling over 135.
rubbish, there were plenty of times during the ashes that Hoggard bowled at about 135kph, and he was above 130 kph almost always throughout his spell, and has been throughout his career.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Nobody has mentioned it yet, but Brad Hodge absolutely slaughtered the West Indies for Victoria today, with a run-a-ball 170 odd. Coming off 70 against Tasmania, it's fair to say he's in decent form for his test debut.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
FaaipDeOiad said:
Nobody has mentioned it yet, but Brad Hodge absolutely slaughtered the West Indies for Victoria today, with a run-a-ball 170 odd. Coming off 70 against Tasmania, it's fair to say he's in decent form for his test debut.
Yeah I know, looks like the Windies are having trouble getting him out.

They should talk to Jack for some help :D

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
FaaipDeOiad said:
Liam and I both mentioned it earlier...

We didnt give his final score, but we both certainly mentioned it.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Because Chanderpaul is an odd little man... and he may be using Edwards with care to prevent injury. After all, if Edwards gets injured, it's Best who slips in. Yikes.
Then why play Edwards at all? If they are concerned about him getting injured in this tour match, he shouldnt be playing in this tour match...

Josh

International Regular
Hodge "guaranteed test selection" with 177 off 178 against the Windies in the tour Match today.

Good.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Great innings by Brad. I don`t think Bracken will be picked, but I really hope we play four bowlers.

social

tooextracool said:
nope its quite amusing how people tend to think that mcgrath and pollock are exactly alike. Pollock has swung the ball on many many occasions and its no secret that graham thorpe himself suggested that he had problems playing pollock because he got extremely close to the stumps and swung the ball both ways.

i suggest that you watch the game at TB closely then. there were plenty of times when he sent balls down the leg side that were obvious inswingers.

rubbish, there were plenty of times during the ashes that Hoggard bowled at about 135kph, and he was above 130 kph almost always throughout his spell, and has been throughout his career.
a. Where did I compare McGrath to Pollock? However, now you mention it, the comparison is more valid than Pollock with swing bowlers.

b.So youre saying that Jones is an inaccurate swing bowler now?

c. Hoggard is military medium. He has the benefit of being given the ball in optimum conditions only i.e. when it is new or when the conditions favour his type of bowling. I pity McGrath and Pollock. Under similar scenarios, they would average in the very low double figures.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:

Katich was in pretty good form before the last test too.

social

Why pick Hodge?

Symonds is as good a bat in just as good form.

He is a better fieldsman and can bowl.

The presence of Hodge in and around the Aus squad has had me mystified for months.

Josh

International Regular
social said:
Why pick Hodge?

Symonds is as good a bat in just as good form.

He is a better fieldsman and can bowl.

The presence of Hodge in and around the Aus squad has had me mystified for months.
Well, he's been one of the countries most talented batsman for near on 10 years so I would think he deserves a fair go, even tho he should have got one 8 years ago when he was blasting the WI all around the MCG playing for Australia A.

howardj

International Coach
Josh said:
Well, he's been one of the countries most talented batsman for near on 10 years so I would think he deserves a fair go, even tho he should have got one 8 years ago when he was blasting the WI all around the MCG playing for Australia A.
On the contrary, I think he's been hot and cold throughout his career. Guys who are going to be really good Test players usually blitz the domestic scene for a few seasons in a row while they are fairly young. Besides, you don't build a great side by having 31 year olds make their debut. To that end, Australia should look at getting Phil Jacques in their side quite soon.

When you think about it, all the top class batsmen of the last ten years - Slater, Hayden, Langer, Martyn, Ponting, SWaugh - made their debuts in their early twenties. Guys need to be exposed to Test cricket early on, and then make the inevitible adjustments to their game while they are still young enough to be recalled. Hodge will be too old to be recalled, and come back a better player, if he gets dropped within two years - as happened to the aforementioned players.

tooextracool

International Coach
social said:
a. Where did I compare McGrath to Pollock? However, now you mention it, the comparison is more valid than Pollock with swing bowlers..
you didnt, but the general misconception is that pollock and mcgrath are similar bowlers, when the only thing thats similar between them is the fact that they are both accurate and not express.

social said:
b.So youre saying that Jones is an inaccurate swing bowler now?.
umm do you watch cricket at all? i mean seriously? since when has jones ever been an accurate swing bowler? hes been able to control reverse a lot better but when it comes to controlling conventional swing hes quite often sprayed it all over the place and hes said that himself in interviews.

social said:
c. Hoggard is military medium. He has the benefit of being given the ball in optimum conditions only i.e. when it is new or when the conditions favour his type of bowling. I pity McGrath and Pollock. Under similar scenarios, they would average in the very low double figures.
hoggard is military medium yes, but then again so is bracken. and i really wonder what the comparisons with pollock and mcgrath are supposed to prove, even though its glaringly obvious that both of them are better. one must remember though that Hoggard has only been 'covered up' and bowled in favorable conditions ever since the 4 pronged pace attack has begun, and his figures not surprisingly have gotten visibly better since then. however for the 4 years before that he had to bowl just as much as any other strike bowler in the world. what i find extremely amusing is that you dont rate hoggard and yet rate bracken even though they're both exactly the same, except that bracken can swing the ball in only 1 direction and only when the conditions favour him significantly. in other words Bracken is nothing more than Alan Mullally.

social

tooextracool said:
you didnt, but the general misconception is that pollock and mcgrath are similar bowlers, when the only thing thats similar between them is the fact that they are both accurate and not express.

umm do you watch cricket at all? i mean seriously? since when has jones ever been an accurate swing bowler? hes been able to control reverse a lot better but when it comes to controlling conventional swing hes quite often sprayed it all over the place and hes said that himself in interviews.

hoggard is military medium yes, but then again so is bracken. and i really wonder what the comparisons with pollock and mcgrath are supposed to prove, even though its glaringly obvious that both of them are better. one must remember though that Hoggard has only been 'covered up' and bowled in favorable conditions ever since the 4 pronged pace attack has begun, and his figures not surprisingly have gotten visibly better since then. however for the 4 years before that he had to bowl just as much as any other strike bowler in the world. what i find extremely amusing is that you dont rate hoggard and yet rate bracken even though they're both exactly the same, except that bracken can swing the ball in only 1 direction and only when the conditions favour him significantly. in other words Bracken is nothing more than Alan Mullally.
Given that Ive got no idea how you draw similarities between Hoggard, Jones and Pollock (all totally different bowlers) and Jones' accuracy or other wise has no relevance at all, I'll simply conclude this ridiculous discussion by saying that:

a. I dont rate Hoggard at all; and

b. No-one, including yourself, has seen enough of Bracken to make a convincing argument about his quality one way or another.

tooextracool

International Coach
social said:
Given that Ive got no idea how you draw similarities between Hoggard, Jones and Pollock (all totally different bowlers) and Jones' accuracy or other wise has no relevance at all, I'll simply conclude this ridiculous discussion by saying that:
err the only similarity that i said that they had between them was that they can all swing the ball both ways. nothing else in their bowler was supposed to be similar.

social said:
a. I dont rate Hoggard at all; and

b. No-one, including yourself, has seen enough of Bracken to make a convincing argument about his quality one way or another.
ive seen every single test match that Bracken has played. I havent however seen enough of him since his return to conclude that he is as rubbish as he was before but based on the signs he showed against WI, at best he could only be another Hoggard.