• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies in Australia

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Australia were carrying Hayden, Katich, Martyn, Gilchrist, Gillespie/Tait and Lee for the majority of the series.
Just because those players had a run of outs, doesn't mean the team was carrying them.

It's redundant, anyway; it's not as if the selectors could have replaced all of those players with better ones.

Mr Mxyzptlk

age_master said:
apart from Jones and Giles i wouldn't say England were carrying anyone.
And Jones played a crucial innings in the first knock of the 4th Test, whilst Giles dismissed each of the Australian top 8 at least once. He also took wickets at crucial times. Whether or not those wickets came with good bowling is irrelevant really, because the fact is that they DID impact the series.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Just because those players had a run of outs, doesn't mean the team was carrying them.
The same can be said for Bell, Giles and Jones, though.

It's redundant, anyway; it's not as if the selectors could have replaced all of those players with better ones.
And again...

howardj

International Coach
aussie said:
well if you look back at that time selecting Lehmann as Waugh's replacement was the BEST option..
He may have been the most prolific batsman at that time, whether he was the best option is a matter of opinion.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Prince EWS said:
They couldnt replace them with better ones, as you suggested.
Given the performances of Bell, Jones and a certain left-armer that wont be named (but whose record in his last 12 tests stands at 22 wickets @ 51.5), that's a little hard to believe.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
howardj said:
He may have been the most prolific batsman at that time, whether he was the best option is a matter of opinion.
no seriously he was the best option to replace mark waugh at that time, just look back at the batsmen who were probably up for selection around then, lehmann was surely the best, opinion has nothing to do with it.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
social said:
Given the performances of Bell, Jones and a certain left-armer that wont be named (but whose record in his last 12 tests stands at 22 wickets @ 51.5), that's a little hard to believe.
Which players would have replaced Bell, Jones and Giles with, then?

I honestly dont think there was a better batsman than Bell, a better batsman/keeper than Jones or a better spinner than Giles in first class cricket at the time. Keep in mind that Thorpe retired BEFORE Bell began to fail.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Prince EWS said:
Which players would have replaced Bell, Jones and Giles with, then?

I honestly dont think there was a better batsman than Bell, a better batsman/keeper than Jones or a better spinner than Giles in first class cricket at the time. Keep in mind that Thorpe retired BEFORE Bell began to fail.
On form, Collingwood would have been at least as good a bet as Bell in my mind. He's also a more experienced bowler. That said, I'm a big Bell fan.

Prior is a superior batsman to Jones IMO, but not as good a 'keeper as I'd like.

Giles is the best spin option at the moment though.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Victoria and West Indies have agreed to have a twenty over slog each after the Windies got knocked over in their first innings. Well, that's what my uncle who's at the ground says.

Josh

International Regular
vic_orthdox said:
Victoria and West Indies have agreed to have a twenty over slog each after the Windies got knocked over in their first innings. Well, that's what my uncle who's at the ground says.
Cool.

howardj

International Coach
When is one of the moderators going to put up an "***Official*** South Africa in Australia" thread? The 1st Test is but a month away!

Mr Mxyzptlk

greg said:
Are you based in Trinidad and Tobago, or Sussex?
Prior is far more composed than Jones. Stats also back my point, as outside of Test cricket, Jones averages a hundred every 16 innings. Prior averages one every 12 or so innings.

Prior converts 31% of his ventures past 50. Jones converts 24%. I'd back Prior to give me a score ahead of Jones of most days of the week.

greg

International Debutant
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Prior is far more composed than Jones. Stats also back my point, as outside of Test cricket, Jones averages a hundred every 16 innings. Prior averages one every 12 or so innings.

Prior converts 31% of his ventures past 50. Jones converts 24%. I'd back Prior to give me a score ahead of Jones of most days of the week.
Just wondering where you'd seen him play, that's all.