• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Warne vs Murali Discussion

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
LOL, "all this merging" wasn't a statement of it being a bad thing; just that SJS obviously dug up 5 or 6 different threads, and now it looks like he's talking absolute nonsense in the midst of this one.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
O I C. Well yeah it does I guess, but as I say - this is one thread I think you can fairly safely bank on no-one re-reading through!

And I hope one day all wretched Warne-vs-Murali posts might be in this thing.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You could probably throw bricks by the hour in the world's most densely populated districts without endangering the safety of a single person capable of comprehending your logic.
I've just thrown 85 bricks into the main Tokyo Shopping Centre and hit three people who agree that Tufnell was better than either Warne or Murali.
Did they say that before or after the bricks hit their heads?
Sorry but :laugh::lol::laugh::lol:

That has to be one of the best comments I've ever read on a Murali-vs-Warne thread.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
His performace in the Canada T20 shows that simply attacking him is a most daunting prospect. I know this is not what you were incinuating, but a slightly related point nonetheless.
Oh he is indeed a lovely bowler. And it is, even at this early stage, much more than his 'mystique' that is making him successful. He has superb control and has shown himself to be thinking on his feet. Oh yes he has a lot to build upon.... but build upon it he must.

Too early to say whether he will and how. He is good beyond his mystery ball but will need a bit more to reach the heights people are predicting for him than the 'mysteries' for mysteries always get solved :)

I think he has great potential.

Precambrian

Banned
Oh he is indeed a lovely bowler. And it is, even at this early stage, much more than his 'mystique' that is making him successful. He has superb control and has shown himself to be thinking on his feet. Oh yes he has a lot to build upon.... but build upon it he must.

Too early to say whether he will and how. He is good beyond his mystery ball but will need a bit more to reach the heights people are predicting for him than the 'mysteries' for mysteries always get solved :)

I think he has great potential.
Some mysteries like Women, never get solved. :)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Whoa! Yeah, maybe am a novice. And in an age when emotions rule over reason.
Letting your emotions rule has its own dividends. You dont want to miss out on the thrill of experiencing the thrills, the highs AND the low's of life's roller coaster ride and there is no roller coster ride to beat the one where emotions are involved. So dont let your head take over too early in life. You will miss on something priceless. :mellow:

Precambrian

Banned
Letting your emotions rule has its own dividends. You dont want to miss out on the thrill of experiencing the thrills, the highs AND the low's of life's roller coaster ride and there is no roller coster ride to beat the one where emotions are involved. So dont let your head take over too early in life. You will miss on something priceless. :mellow:
Definitely a point to ponder!

So how many great players of spin did Warne/Murali dominate?

There is no doubt that he is a great bowler but how great was he against the great/very good players of spin? Lara smashed him, Sachin killed him, Kallis and Dravid did okay, Sehwag and Pietersen played him quite well too.He got the better of Ganguly more often than not though....

Athlai

Not Terrible
Who were the top batsman of Warne's era?
England:
Stewart, Thorpe, Atherton, Trescothick, Hussain, Pietersen, Vaughan, Strauss, Butcher?
India:
Tendulkar, Dravid, Ganguly, Laxman, Sehwag, Azharuddin
New Zealand:
Fleming, Astle
Pakistan:
Inzamam, Anwar, MoYo, Younis
South Afirca:
Kallis, Kirsten, Gibbs, Smith
Sri Lanka:
Jayasuriya, Jayawardene, Sangakkara, Atapattu, de Silva,
West Indies:
Lara, Chanderpaul, Hooper, Gayle
Zim:
Flower brothers

So how often did Warne play against these guys and how did he go?

It doesn't mean too much but http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine...er_involve=2000;template=results;type=batting shows how everyone did against Australia with Warne it, but low scores don't really mean a problem with him nor do high scores mean that Warne wasn't an issue at all. Slight indicators either way but hardly hold too much weight to the argument.

Last edited:

Sir Alex

Banned
I think (this is from my mind, not any stats) pretty much all Indian batsmen were able to tackle Warne. Now there could be excuses like he was suffering from injury, out of form etc but that doesn't change the fact.

Lara certainly played him well.

The rest especially the Engish and Saffers were largely clueless against him. Surprisingly Sri Lankans also were indifferent given they are born and brough up on playing spin.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Actually, Lara played him well but the success is kinda exaggerated. The only poor series Warne had against the WIndies was in 99 post injuries, otherwise he has a fantastic record against them. He took Lara's wicket some 7 times in 20 tests which is not too bad considering how often McGrath was taking Lara's wicket before Warne got a chance to - McGrath got Lara 15 times in 24 matches. People go on about Pietersen vs Warne but that's pretty even too.

IIRC only great batsman that really got ontop of Warne was Sachin, and even that had extenuating circumstances.

Last edited:
There is no doubt that he is a great bowler but how great was he against the great/very good players of spin? Lara smashed him, Sachin killed him, Kallis and Dravid did okay, Sehwag and Pietersen played him quite well too.He got the better of Ganguly more often than not though....
Ha he was Warnes bunny.

Sir Alex

Banned
Actually, Lara played him well but the success is kinda exaggerated. The only poor series Warne had against the WIndies was in 99 post injuries, otherwise he has a fantastic record against them. He took Lara's wicket some 7 times in 20 tests which is not too bad considering how often McGrath was taking Lara's wicket before Warne got a chance to - McGrath got Lara 15 times in 24 matches. People go on about Pietersen vs Warne but that's pretty even too.

IIRC only great batsman that really got ontop of Warne was Sachin, and even that had extenuating circumstances.
Slightly OT,

To look at it another way, isn't it amazing that it took the two great bowlers to get Lara out? Amazing how many times they shared his wicket between themselves. It is also testimony to Lara's sheer skill.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah Dravid got owned by Warne.

Dravid was definitely not a great player of spin. He became very good when he began to peak as a player, but Sachin, Laxman, Sehwag and Ganguly are/were all better players of spin than him.

Slightly OT,

To look at it another way, isn't it amazing that it took the two great bowlers to get Lara out? Amazing how many times they shared his wicket between themselves. It is also testimony to Lara's sheer skill.
Not really, McGrath took Laras wicket for less than ten runs something like 10 times meaning he never really lasted long enough for the others to get a crack at him. I'm sure Lara went for a few ducks to McGrath.

Yeah Dravid got owned by Warne.

Dravid was definitely not a great player of spin. He became very good when he began to peak as a player, but Sachin, Laxman, Sehwag and Ganguly are/were all better players of spin than him.

Laxmans record against Warne is not to hot either.

pasag

RTDAS
It becomes a bit of a circular argument though, if you played Warne well you're a top player of spin, if you didn't you're a poor one...