• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Warne vs Murali Discussion

Migara

International Coach
Hey Miagra, which of these two were you referring to :)
Both. Mendis is terrific at the moment, but there are no gurantees that he'll be like that for 10 full seasons of test cricket. We have experianced what has happened to people of his breed. Iverson, Gleeson and Rangana Herath all flopped after few seasons. And all of them bowled that finger flick "carrom ball"

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Both. Mendis is terrific at the moment, but there are no gurantees that he'll be like that for 10 full seasons of test cricket. We have experianced what has happened to people of his breed. Iverson, Gleeson and Rangana Herath all flopped after few seasons. And all of them bowled that finger flick "carrom ball"
In fairness to Iverson, he debuted in 1950 at 35 years of age when Tests weren't exactly frequent!

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I agree completely and have said so on several occasions. As someone said to those in love "once the passion has worn out you better have something else to keep the flame of love alight". Replace passion with novelty and love with success and you have the best advise for the likes of Mendis. :)

Top_Cat

I agree completely and have said so on several occasions. As someone said to those in love "once the passion has worn out you better have something else to keep the flame of love alight". Replace passion with novelty and love with success and you have the best advise for the likes of Mendis. :)
He sure is accurate, though. That's gotta stand him in good stead.

Migara

International Coach
That's the plus point over Iverson and Gleeson. Rarely gives a boundry ball. He should develop his off break where he could bowl it resembling to some one like Ramesh Powar. All the tricks should be with the off break. But knowing that he has the other balls in his armoury, batsmen will the play him far more watchfull than they are facing a bowler like Powar

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Yes he IS accurate but the deviation on most wickets is very little. It is enough if the batsman is struggling to pick the direction of turn but once that is understood, the small amount of turn makes it easy to step out of the crease to his bowling inspite of his accuracy. Sachin showed that in the first couple of games. I am of the opinion that once batsmen have worked out the 'mystery' they will becoming aggressive against him because he doesn't turn too much on most tracks.

Migara

International Coach
Yes he IS accurate but the deviation on most wickets is very little. It is enough if the batsman is struggling to pick the direction of turn but once that is understood, the small amount of turn makes it easy to step out of the crease to his bowling inspite of his accuracy. Sachin showed that in the first couple of games. I am of the opinion that once batsmen have worked out the 'mystery' they will becoming aggressive against him because he doesn't turn too much on most tracks.
That is very reason that changing flight is necessary.

Top_Cat

Having watched him bowl a bit, I don't reckon it'll affect him too much. I don't reckon Mendis relies on his tricks at all. I think he's one of those smart bowlers who'll adjust to batsmen coming at him because, as you say, it's an inevitability that he'll be figured out and surely he knows that.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
His performace in the Canada T20 shows that simply attacking him is a most daunting prospect. I know this is not what you were incinuating, but a slightly related point nonetheless.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
"All this" merging? You mean putting a few threads that would make you lose the will to live by reading into 1 big thread that's long since been a "lose the will to live by attempting to read" thread? :sleep: