• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Warne vs Murali Discussion

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Those R squared values are so low that they are no evidence of anything causal - or even significantly correlative - whatsoever.
Usually, yep. In psych, though, I've noticed, as Migara said, it's a 'weak to moderate correlation' (assuming significance) but not no correlation. No kidding.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Amazing that all the Science and Commerce dorks have managed to whittle down the oldest and greatest question on CW to this.

Where's the soaring rhetoric, the platitudes, the "we've been blessed with two colossuses who've bestrode the world, can't we just appreciate that?"

Travesty.

Top_Cat

Amazing that all the Science and Commerce dorks have managed to whittle down the oldest and greatest question on CW to this.

Where's the soaring rhetoric, the platitudes, the "we've been blessed with two colossuses who've bestrode the world, can't we just appreciate that?"

Travesty.
Actually I'm with you, I don't really give a crap about the stats, I just enjoyed watching them both.

PhoenixFire

International Coach

Travesty.
Couldn't AWTA more.

cowboysfan

U19 Debutant
I love the art of leg-spin.Warne had mastered it .however the question posed is a tough one as both of them are all time greats but I give the edge to Warne. (by a nose)

Migara

International Coach
Now I am going to take the thread to a new direction. How about Murali vs Warne as ODI bowlers?

To make the comparisons in a scientific manner, I only took;
1. Matches played only on neutral venues.
2. Matches against AUS, BAN, ENG, IND, KEN, NZ, PAK, SAF, SL, WI & ZIM.
3. Situation was thought as what would happen if Warne and Murali bowled exact number of balls against each opposition on neutral venues?

The results were as following
Code:
Player	Average	ER	SR
Warne	25.60	3.85	40.22
Murali	25.19	3.59	40.46
Here it's clear who's better

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Now I am going to take the thread to a new direction. How about Murali vs Warne as ODI bowlers?

3. Situation was thought as what would happen if Warne and Murali bowled exact number of balls against each opposition on neutral venues?

Code:
Player	Average	ER	SR
Warne	25.60	3.85	40.22
Murali	25.19	3.59	40.46
Sarcasm. I got ya. :cool:

gwo

U19 Debutant
Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, can't believe anyone would seriously claim there's a way to say for sure who's better in ODIs. Murali was obviously way more effective but was often played out as he was sometimes the only effective bowler, sometimes one of only two. Simply no way to even guess at what would've happened had roles been reversed between Warne and Murali.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Sorry Migara...

Warne > Murali in ODI imo. Clearly more diffinitive than Tests where I care not who is better than who.

Warne won a world cup off his own bowling (99 world cup semi and final). Until the day Murali performs on the highest stage as an ODI bowler, Warne for me anyday.

HOLY SHIZZZ

http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru...e=results;trophy=12;type=bowling;view=innings

http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru...e=results;trophy=12;type=bowling;view=innings
Why didn't you include NZ in those stats who have done well in the WC's all considering and whom Murali does quite well against. Suspicious. :ph34r:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Code:
Player	Average	ER	SR
Warne	25.60	3.85	40.22
Murali	25.19	3.59	40.46
Hahaha, CLEARLY.

Mate, that says nothing. But one reason why Warne is undoubtably better for me was he was above and beyond in the World Cup and when it mattered. His match-changing spells are legend. As gwo said, Warne has been massive in the big games, i.e. Windies in 96 and S.Africa and Pakistan in 99.

Migara

International Coach
Hahaha, CLEARLY.

Mate, that says nothing. But one reason why Warne is undoubtably better for me was he was above and beyond in the World Cup and when it mattered. His match-changing spells are legend. As gwo said, Warne has been massive in the big games, i.e. Windies in 96 and S.Africa and Pakistan in 99.
So Warne is better than Murali in WC Finals. All the other time Murali > Warne. HA . .HA . . HA . .

pasag

RTDAS

Code:
Player	Average	ER	SR
Warne	25.60	3.85	40.22
Murali	25.19	3.59	40.46
:laugh:

Migara

International Coach
Here are stats for away matches, with above criteria.

Code:
[B]	Average	ER	SR[/B]
Murali	25.36	3.89	38.02
Warne	41.56	4.27	59.82
This one it's even clearer.

Next I would transform Warne's away and neutral venue stats using Murali's (Murali has bowled more balls than Warne, so I am using his. In comparing test stats I used Warne's to transform Murali's since Warne has bowled more in test matches).

Migara

International Coach
Here are the transformed values for Murali vs Warne. First is for Neutral venues, second for Away venues

This shows that Warne bowls better in neutral venues, but the differences with Murali is slight, if you compare with away stats. In away matches (i.e. at oppositions home) , Murali does considerable better than Warne.

Then, when not playing at home (trans formed stats)

Code:
[B]Player	Balls	Runs	Wickets	Average	ER	SR[/B]
Mural	11685	7721	328	23.5	4.0	35.6
Warne	5831	4106	160	25.7	4.2	36.5
Murali is superior in every aspect when not playing at home. (Home matches were removed in both test and ODI comparisons, because few people brought the point that Murali bowls on helpful pitches)

Last edited: