• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Warne vs Murali Discussion

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Now that Shane Warne has announced his retirement from all First Class Cricket he probably deserves a tribute thread but as it will inevitably become a discussion about how good he was compared to Murali it might as well continue here.:)

Warne retires
Yeah, heard that on the radio yesterday. Daresay a few Hants fans will be a little disappointed, but I don't think too many could argue with the IPL.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Hmm, how does that make sense? If he doesn't want to use vowels out of principle, it'd be 'lgnd'. If he wanted to use the first four letters and limit himself to one e, it'd be legn. I'm not sure how you can displace the 'd' from last place to middle of the word, and miss one vowel and an n. :p

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Hmm, how does that make sense? If he doesn't want to use vowels out of principle, it'd be 'lgnd'. If he wanted to use the first four letters and limit himself to one e, it'd be legn. I'm not sure how you can displace the 'd' from last place to middle of the word, and miss one vowel and an n. :p
Should say "ledge" really as that how it's said, fairly common slang abbreviation over here ITBT

Migara

International Coach
Thought of bumping this.

Some people have been saying that Murali takes more wickets because he bowls more. When you bowl more, oyu can have more opportunities. But you'll be tired and your performance will drop after some time. So thought of testing this out statistically.

I plotted number of wickets against number of deliveries per each inning. On average Warne takes about 2.6 wickets per innings and Murali 3.5 per innings. Warne bowls 149 deliveries per innings whereas Murali bowls 192.

Resulting scatter digrams were as following

The trend lines were drawn using linear egression and polynominal regression analysis. As shown by the R square value, polynominal thrend line describes the scatter better.

This shows that Murali will achieve his highest potential (i.e 4 wickets per innings) if he bowled around 300 deliveries. Warne also has the maximum potential at 4 wickets per innigs. but it would take about 350 deliveries for that.

IF Warne was to bowl 192 deliveries on average per innigs, still he would have picked around 3.0 wickets per innigs. If Murali was to bowl 149 deliveries, he would have picked about 3.1 wickets per innigs.

Conclusion: Long bowls would have helped Warne to achieve better figures. The trend is less apparent with Murali. But for about up to 350 deliveries per innigs, Murali will pick more wickets than Warne.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I'm not too sure about the stats above - meaning my knowledge is just ordinary. Maybe Top_Cat can provide some info.

However, Murali will take more wickets in the same amount of balls due to his SR. His SR is inflated because of Bangladesh and Zimbabwe amongst other things described in this thread. The above seems to be a more complicated way of looking at SR. When people say if Warne bowled more he'd take more wickets, they're talking about his SR. Murali, counting all the positives of his position, has an SR about 3 points superior. So it's natural he'd take more even within the same amount of balls bowled.

I would also venture to ask, would the fact that Warne will more often than not share his wickets moreso than Murali have anything to do with the above?

LOL

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Thought of bumping this.

Some people have been saying that Murali takes more wickets because he bowls more. When you bowl more, oyu can have more opportunities. But you'll be tired and your performance will drop after some time. So thought of testing this out statistically.

I plotted number of wickets against number of deliveries per each inning. On average Warne takes about 2.6 wickets per innings and Murali 3.5 per innings. Warne bowls 149 deliveries per innings whereas Murali bowls 192.

Resulting scatter digrams were as following

The trend lines were drawn using linear egression and polynominal regression analysis. As shown by the R square value, polynominal thrend line describes the scatter better.

This shows that Murali will achieve his highest potential (i.e 4 wickets per innings) if he bowled around 300 deliveries. Warne also has the maximum potential at 4 wickets per innigs. but it would take about 350 deliveries for that.

IF Warne was to bowl 192 deliveries on average per innigs, still he would have picked around 3.0 wickets per innigs. If Murali was to bowl 149 deliveries, he would have picked about 3.1 wickets per innigs.

Conclusion: Long bowls would have helped Warne to achieve better figures. The trend is less apparent with Murali. But for about up to 350 deliveries per innigs, Murali will pick more wickets than Warne.
Interesting. Not trying to dispute your finding, but just curious how you calculated the above.

How do you measure the 'Tiring' Quotient here ? Is it even possible to measure that ? Also how do you measure 'tiring' factor in situations like ' Bowler bowled total 35 overs in an innings over two days as ooposed to Bowler B bowling 25 overs in one day.'

Secondly, I would be more interested in knowing how both bowlers compare in real life by wickets in no. of overs bowled. I.e. How many wickets Murali/Warne take in their first 5/10/20 etc over.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It truly astounds me that people have the will to live to argue this crap for 54 (and counting) pages.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Haha, you've gotta at least see some irony in the fact that this is coming from you Richard :P

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well I've never argued one topic for anything like as long as this thread, and I've always said there's no point whatsoever in trying to argue this one for 5 minutes. Warne and Murali are for all intents and purposes equal to my mind and I thought that in 2001 when I first asked myself the question.

Still, yeah, obviously there's the same sort of stuff here as there was when Marc used to accuse me of being obsessed with boosting my postcount.

BTW, please try remembering not to capitalise the p in :P\:p Looks so much better when you actually have the :p smiley in there which is so essential.

:p

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
BTW, please try remembering not to capitalise the p in :P\:p Looks so much better when you actually have the :p smiley in there which is so essential.

:p
The minute I screwed up the smilie I figured you'd correct me.

You're quite the predictable character sometimes Richard :p

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Well I've never argued one topic for anything like as long as this thread
I disagree. You might not have argued anything in one sitting or one thread for as long as people have argued this one for, but your continued arguments that come up regularly, particularly whenever someone who hasn't read your opinion on them before comes across one of them, would surely qualify.

If you added up all your posts on the value of FCA, for example, I'm sure you'd have more posts than the 405 C_C contributed to this thread.