• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Warne vs Murali Discussion

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Hazza said:
I remember Warne bowling a bouncer in the Ashes. I think it was near the end of the first test...

...Is there anything he can't bowl?
Am I the only one who saw Afridi bowling a bouncer as well? How the hell do leggies manage that?

Tom Halsey

International Coach
nightprowler10 said:
Am I the only one who saw Afridi bowling a bouncer as well? How the hell do leggies manage that?
Afridi has an 80 mph quicker ball, when Warne lets it go as quickly as he can it wouldn't surprise me if it was 70+.

shankar

International Debutant
nightprowler10 said:
One question I'd like to ask, off-topic but, why is it that the best players of spin (India) struggled so much against Kaneria? Note that there is no sarcasm here, just wondering what everyone's opinion on that is since I did not watch that series. Again, I know its off-topic but I'm hoping to get an answer in a couple of posts.
Actually, I think they played him pretty well. IIRC in the first innings of the first test, they were playing him off the pitch and had a few problems. But from the second test onwards they began reading him off the hand and played him very comfortably. Infact even on the fifth day pitch of the Bangalore test, he didn't cause much problems.

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
Personal opinion - I think Warne offers more (cricketing brain, batting, 'flair'/'influence'). Bowling wise, they have their advantages. Murali and his doosra, Warne with his general brilliance.

I'd hate to have to choose between either one, and this could be down to the fact I'm Australian, but I would choose Warne :p

cricketboy29

International Regular
i with you on that one, dasa, those eyes look so wicked. Almost as if trying to glare the batsman into submission, before pegging back that off stump with the doosra.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
I'd just like to point out this one thing: You're arguing between two of the greatest bowlers of all time, and the way you argue [either way] completely denigrates the players themselves. It's turned from "They're both awesome but I believe [A] to be better than " to "[A] is a pathetic and ridiculous waste of test match cricket space and would eat his babies for dinner." because somebody else doesn't agree with you.

P.S. In other words, grow up and accept diversity of opinions.

a massive zebra

International Captain
5 for 23 today. Yes 7 for 100 in the innings.

Murali is an absolute genius. They just cannot pick him.

86.2 Muralitharan to Dhoni, OUT: good ball, a doosra, pitched outside leg stump and turning away from Dhoni, playing forward, misses the line of the ball, hits the off stump, excellent stuff.

C_C

International Captain
shaka said:
umm doesnt Warne do that quite often, hence to H Marshall / Gatting?
Yeah. Warne does that a lot- except the difference is, this isnt Murali's stock ball but his 'doosra' - comparison should be with Warne's googly( the one that spins the other way to the stock ball) - which is nowhere close to as good as Murali's 'wrong un'.
When you bowl you rip your doosra as much as the biggest leggie ( in terms of movement) in the game, you are pretty much unique.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Yes but remember that Murali is an offspinner. Warne will have to pitch one on or outside the off stump and take the leg stump to beat that. Warne's googly is almost non-existent these days and has never been of Kaneria standard.

shaka

International Regular
I think Warne has begun to reintroduce the googly and the flipper back into his armour.

C_C

International Captain
a massive zebra said:
Yes but remember that Murali is an offspinner. Warne will have to pitch one on or outside the off stump and take the leg stump to beat that. Warne's googly is almost non-existent these days and has never been of Kaneria standard.
Yeah i know- i am comparing the delivery that moves the other way from their stock deliveries. I dont think it is an exgaggeration to say that Murali's delivery is way way more potent than Warne's in this category.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Both Brian Lara and Stephen Fleming, who to be fair have both dominated Murali on his home turf, have stated during the week that Warne and McGrath are by far the best bowlers that either have encountered during their international careers.

Not bad endorsements.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
No doubt Murali bowled very well, but taking 7 wickets when you have no competition for them isn't as remarkable as it would be for most bowlers. He certainly bowled very well today, though.

It'll be interesting to see how he comes out of the series overall.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
did u see the match, Sean? It is not about competition for wickets.. You could have had a bowling line up of Ambrose, McGrath, Warne and Murali and Murali would have still got those 7 wickets today. He got them all with very good balls, except for Sachin which wasn't a great shot... It had nothing to do with how good or how bad the bowler at the other end was.

Edit: And there was a BALL OF THIS CENTURY involved there too, the one with which he got Dhoni. He bowled around the stumps, from wide of the crease, it was a doosra, it pitched quite a distance outside leg stump and turned and hit off stump. It would have been called an awesome delivery if it had been bowled by a leg spinner, but this was from an OFF SPINNER. I personally felt honoured to have watched that ball live, even though it was on live TV.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
shaka said:
I think Warne has begun to reintroduce the googly and the flipper back into his armour.
His googly is honestly nothing to write home about. His flipper is awesome, though. And yes, even now that he has improved his googly, I still don't think it is anything awesome. It provides an additional variation to his bowling, that is all.