• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* VB Series Training Camp

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
steds said:
Even if we aren't in the squad? :p
steds, the only forms we`ll let you fill out, are the ones in which we require your signature for admission to the local mental hospital!!

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
AUST_HiTMaN said:
7. Basic (stock) delivery is fuller in length, than say a McGarth.

8. Have never had the time to test it at the CW's training facilities, but I'm listed as a RF, and have been told that it is one of the quickest in CW, wouldn't mind booking out the practice nets and getting some speed comparisons done between the top bowlers in the system, Liam, organise it :D.
Haha, I dont care if you meant to spell McGrath like that on purpose or by accident, either way its till funny :)

And yea, I would love to see the speeds of the CW bowlers. Dave would surely have to be the quickest, and Id like to think Id be up there in the Top 5-8.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Part one: describe your batting and fielding prowess
How would you describe your style of batting (eg: do you like to drive on the up? Are you strongest through off or leg, or off front or back-foot?)
-I would say i'm aggressive in my batting style.I'm prefer the off side but i'm equal on both sides i'd say.I'm strongest on the off the front foot for most shots.

What are your main weaknesses when holding the bat (seam, swing, the turning ball, extreme pace, changes of pace, difficulty in picking changes of direction of movement)
-My main weaknesses would be extreme pace and sometimes i have trouble judging how much the ball will most likely turn.

How would you describe your skills in the field (hands, athleticism, reflexes, anticipation, attacking the ball, chasing the ball down). What is your favourite field-position?
-My fielding skills are pretty good.I'm good at everything except catching.That could use a little bit of work.

Part two: your bowling abilities

How regularly do you bowl at the domestic level? I emphasise at the domestic level.
- I bowl pretty regularly.

Do you bowl seam-up or sidespin?
- I do variations but i'd say i'm more prone to be seam-up.

How much and how do you move the ball through the air (for seam-up bowlers this would be conventional- and reverse- swing; for sidespinners this would be drift)
-I think i move it fairly well.

How much assistance do you usually need from the wicket to get the ball to move upon striking it (ie for a seamer do you rely exclusively on seam-movement or are you adept at using "cutters"?; for a spinner do you spin the ball with your fingers or wrists?)
-Not a lot of help.I use seam movement more but i throw in the odd cutters.

In which direction (assume a right-hander is on strike) does your stock-ball move from the batsman?
- It moves slightly in to the batsman.

Are you able to bowl - to order - a ball that moves in the opposite direction to your stock-ball? If so, how well would you say it tends to be disguised?
-Not very well.Not really.

What length would you say is your "stock" length? Short-of-length (a la "McGrath"), or full-of-length (a la "Waqar Younis")?
- My "stock" length would be just between those two.Tempting to the bastman but dangerous.

What (if possible) is an average pace? If you've never used a speed-gun, don't worry.
- I'm a RFM so i'd say in the mid to high 80s.I can bowl faster but less control.

Additional info:
I can also bowl offies fairly well.I think slightly beter than pace but i'm doing great with it so i'm not changing.With my offspin it's more reliant on turn and change of pace.Also, I'd like to improve my batting even though it's ok at current.

chrisbroadie

School Boy/Girl Captain
I would like to emphasise that I place very little importance on right- or left- handed batsmen - all that matters to me is who scores the runs.

*How would you describe your style of batting (eg: do you like to drive on the up? Are you strongest through off or leg, or off front or back-foot?)

defensive generally, preferably off the back foot, however (like all tail enders) will slash uncontrollably at a wide delivery. Stronger thru the off side

*What are your main weaknesses when holding the bat (seam, swing, the turning ball, extreme pace, changes of pace, difficulty in picking changes of direction of movement)

Left arm around the wicket, get lbw and bowled way too often. Also anything at the body tends to be a problem. I suffer from brain explosions against spinners.

*How would you describe your skills in the field (hands, athleticism, reflexes, anticipation, attacking the ball, chasing the ball down). What is your favourite field-position?

Not a slips fielder, reflexes not good enough. Prefer to field at point/cover region. Not the best catcher going around, like to think i have safe hands tho. always go full throttle for the ball whether chasing or towards it

As with batsmen, I don't mind much if you bowl right- or left- arm - all that matters is taking wickets and not conceding runs.

*How regularly do you bowl at the domestic level? I emphasise at the domestic level.

usually open or first-change.

*Do you bowl seam-up or sidespin?

seam up

*How much and how do you move the ball through the air (for seam-up bowlers this would be conventional- and reverse- swing; for sidespinners this would be drift)

have an outswinger, can occasionally get it to reverse later on, altho not on a regular basis

*How much assistance do you usually need from the wicket to get the ball to move upon striking it (ie for a seamer do you rely exclusively on seam-movement or are you adept at using "cutters"?; for a spinner do you spin the ball with your fingers or wrists?)

I would probably say that cutting the ball, whether from seam or as a true off/leg cutter would be the strength of my bowling. I tend to hit the pitch hard while the ball is new, and then as the ball get older start using my fingers to get movement

*In which direction (assume a right-hander is on strike) does your stock-ball move from the batsman?

Swing - out
Cut - generally in, however can bowl a leg cutter
Depending on the conditions at the time, the off-cutter or the outswinger is my stock ball (ie cloudy i will use the outswinger, then the off-cutter as a "shock" ball)

*Are you able to bowl - to order - a ball that moves in the opposite direction to your stock-ball? If so, how well would you say it tends to be disguised?

Yes, pretty well

*What length would you say is your "stock" length? Short-of-length (a la "McGrath"), or full-of-length (a la "Waqar Younis")?

McGrath length

*What (if possible) is an average pace? If you've never used a speed-gun, don't worry.

medium-fast i suppose

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
*How would you describe your style of batting (eg: do you like to drive on the up? Are you strongest through off or leg, or off front or back-foot?)

I like to cut through point and gully and pull fine for four when it's short. But when it's up i'm no good so i'm lucky to work singles

*What are your main weaknesses when holding the bat (seam, swing, the turning ball, extreme pace, changes of pace, difficulty in picking changes of direction of movement)

Lack of concentration in certain times of my innings, especially relaxing against spinners

*How would you describe your skills in the field (hands, athleticism, reflexes, anticipation, attacking the ball, chasing the ball down). What is your favourite field-position?

Good set of hands and reflexes in at point, gully, slips... Poor throwing arm, and poor speed.

*How regularly do you bowl at the domestic level? I emphasise at the domestic level.

When the situation's tight I have a habit of pulling something out my ****. Not every game but in tight positions... yes

*How much assistance do you usually need from the wicket to get the ball to move upon striking it (ie for a seamer do you rely exclusively on seam-movement or are you adept at using "cutters"?; for a spinner do you spin the ball with your fingers or wrists?)

Flight's my biggest strength so the wicket's irrelevant

*Do you bowl seam-up or sidespin?

Sidespin

*How much and how do you move the ball through the air (for seam-up bowlers this would be conventional- and reverse- swing; for sidespinners this would be drift)

Drift the ball lots it's my only strength.

*In which direction (assume a right-hander is on strike) does your stock-ball move from the batsman

Spins into the batsman

*Are you able to bowl - to order - a ball that moves in the opposite direction to your stock-ball? If so, how well would you say it tends to be disguised?

Top spinner yes.... wrong 'un no

*What length would you say is your "stock" length? Short-of-length (a la "McGrath"), or full-of-length (a la "Waqar Younis")?

Full of a length for a spinner

*What (if possible) is an average pace? If you've never used a speed-gun, don't worry.

Pies. Slow lobs

bugssy

Cricketer Of The Year

How would you describe your style of batting (eg: do you like to drive on the up? Are you strongest through off or leg, or off front or back-foot?)
i love to play square of the wicket through cover point or flick of my pads, when i am in form i am playing the horizontal bat shots particluarly well.

What are your main weaknesses when holding the bat (seam, swing, the turning ball, extreme pace, changes of pace, difficulty in picking changes of direction of movement)
i want to score runs all the time so the change of pace usually gets me alot, but also swing bowling.

How would you describe your skills in the field (hands, athleticism, reflexes, anticipation, attacking the ball, chasing the ball down). as long as i am in the action i am happy in any fielding position, have good soft hands so slips is usually my spot but i get out and have a run around in the covers every so often.

How regularly do you bowl at the domestic level? I emphasise at the domestic level. i get a few overs here and there, been bowling a few of late.

big seam up bowler. let the deck and seam do all the work.

How much and how do you move the ball through the air (for seam-up bowlers this would be conventional- and reverse- swing; for sidespinners this would be drift) not alot, sometimes just enough to make it count.

How much assistance do you usually need from the wicket to get the ball to move upon striking it (ie for a seamer do you rely exclusively on seam-movement or are you adept at using "cutters"?; for a spinner do you spin the ball with your fingers or wrists?) if the deck is helping me then the seam does all the work however if i need to get it going i rip the fingers to bowl off cutters and leg cutters

In which direction (assume a right-hander is on strike) does your stock-ball move from the batsman? into the batsmen cutting him in half.

Are you able to bowl - to order - a ball that moves in the opposite direction to your stock-ball? If so, how well would you say it tends to be disguised?
pretty well, dont give the batsmen too much ofa look.

What length would you say is your "stock" length? Short-of-length (a la "McGrath"), or full-of-length (a la "Waqar Younis")? short of a length, glenn mcgrath.

What (if possible) is an average pace? If you've never used a speed-gun, don't worry. my average pace has been at about 126 klm's

I would add that you do not have to answer these questions solely: if you believe it would be useful for me to know any other information about you please add anything you wish on at the end.

Thank you; I look forward to getting to know each of you in the coming days and weeks.

AUST_HiTMaN

International Debutant
Nnanden said:
Haha, I dont care if you meant to spell McGrath like that on purpose or by accident, either way its till funny :)

And yea, I would love to see the speeds of the CW bowlers. Dave would surely have to be the quickest, and Id like to think Id be up there in the Top 5-8.
Correct, McGarth :)

Loony BoB

International Captain
Sorry, long posts annoy me as I'm only using one hand. I'll have a go, though.

Introduction:
Opener who can drop down to middle order if needed. Able to vary his pace from a s/r of 50-100+, and has had a habit of getting out in the 40's and 50's but is looking to fix this. Quick between the wicket and scores most of his runs through ones and twos, even when his s/r is up. Generally opens in FC and either opens or bats at 3-5 in OD. Fielding slightly above average due to his speed.

How would you describe your style of batting
Passive-Aggressive. As above, s/r ranges. Likes to sweep and drive. Loves batting against spinners / slow bowlers. Waits for the ball and doesn't like to make blind slogs.

What are your main weaknesses when holding the bat?
Balls aimed at the body above the waist can bother me a bit. Weaker against fast bowlers rather than spin, but not by too much.

How would you describe your skills in the field. What is your favourite field-position?
Fast as yjey come so little trouble there, fairly quick to react, if anything is lacking it would be accuracy when throwing at the wickets. Average thrower when in the outfield. Prefers to avoid the slips or very close in positions and likes to be anywhere from outer infield to the boundary.

How regularly do you bowl at the domestic level?
Used in OD more often than FC, I'm rarely used overall. Part time spinner generally used as sixth bowler. Hae spent time in America trying to work on my abilities, though.

Offspin, relying mostly on sidespin.

How much and how do you move the ball through the air?
I tend to concentrate on turning the ball, movement in the air is below average for a spinner. I give it decent airtime, though.

How much assistance do you usually need from the wicket to get the ball to move upon striking it?
A fair amount.

In which direction (assume a right-hander is on strike) does your stock-ball move from the batsman?
Into.

I can do it, it's not well disguised though.

What length would you say is your "stock" length?
Hitting top of stumps. I tend to keep my length pretty well.

What (if possible) is an average pace?
At a guess, 40-odd mph.

There we go - if the guy with a broken hand has filled this out, everyone should have. :p

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Introduction:
Basically a batter who hasn't reached his potential as a batsman. Have the odd good innings, and have the ability to hang around. Strong on the offside, and if the ball is regularly pitched up cover drives are in season, can use the pull shot to good effect, but anything on the legs is likely to miss or hit the pads. Usually gets out bowled to a yorker or caught in slips, or lobing a catch up to midwicket or cover.

I am an excellent fielder for a fast bowler, usually found in the covers or midwicket, and can handle myself in the slips. Very quick to the ball and an accurate and powerful throw.

How would you describe your style of batting
Very good defence, however cannot handle the yorker very well, cover drive is the best shot, along with most other off-side shots. Can be attacking if required, but generally doesn't last long or score big.

What are your main weaknesses when holding the bat?
Outlined above.

How would you describe your skills in the field. What is your favourite field-position?
Outlined above.

How regularly do you bowl at the domestic level?
Opening bowler or first change. Like to bowl as many overs as possible.

Seam-up

How much and how do you move the ball through the air?
Can swing the ball both ways, but outswingers to the right hander are the stock ball, very handy slower ball.

How much assistance do you usually need from the wicket to get the ball to move upon striking it?
Not much, has the ability to control swing, but sometimes if the pitch has a lot of movement, can cause the ball to swing right past the bat.

Outlined above.

I can do it, but it does not swing as much as the other and is used more as a surprise ball.

What length would you say is your "stock" length?
Full pitch - Gillespie length.

What (if possible) is an average pace?
135-140km/h

Tom Halsey

International Coach

Slogger.

Turning ball coupled with drift. Not too brilliant with extreme pace either.

How would you describe your skills in the field (hands, athleticism, reflexes, anticipation, attacking the ball, chasing the ball down). What is your favourite field-position?

Good hands, agile, can't chase down though. Favourite position is slips.

How regularly do you bowl at the domestic level? I emphasise at the domestic level.

Very regularly.

Right arm wristspin.

How much and how do you move the ball through the air (for seam-up bowlers this would be conventional- and reverse- swing; for sidespinners this would be drift)

Not too much without help - but with a good breeze to assist I can mve it a bit in the air.

How much assistance do you usually need from the wicket to get the ball to move upon striking it (ie for a seamer do you rely exclusively on seam-movement or are you adept at using "cutters"?; for a spinner do you spin the ball with your fingers or wrists?)

Prodigious turn on just about anything.

Away from him.

Yes - the only person that knows ow to read it is our 'keeper.

What length would you say is your "stock" length? Short-of-length (a la "McGrath"), or full-of-length (a la "Waqar Younis")?

When I'm bowling well, I'm very full - unfortunately when I'm tired I have a tendency to drag it short.

What (if possible) is an average pace? If you've never used a speed-gun, don't worry.

40 mph roughly.

Timewell

U19 Debutant

I like to play my shots but I usually start off fairly defensively - blocking the good balls and hitting the bad ones. Once I've played myself in, I'll play my shots. The old-fashioned batsman! Certainly strongest on the off-side and I can play shots off both feet.

My main weakness is facing spin - never really sure how to approach it. Should I go up the wicket or stay in my crease?

I'm a strong catcher. Pretty quick with good anticipation and I can chase a ball well. I like to be in the circle - probably mid-off.

I bowl with pace - a decent line and length. I'd say that I was a regular domestic bowler. Seam-up and I like to swing the ball...reverse-swing, in-cutters etc. I'm pretty good at using cutters...so I don't rely on the wicket too much. Away from the batsman. I can and it probably can be disguised slightly better. My stock ball is full-of-length. Er...I'd say about 85mph.

zghansar

School Boy/Girl Captain

Very strong off my pads on the on side. backfoot preference. Strong in the V on the off side as well

Extreme pace, specially fuller deliveries as I prefer backfoot, causes probs.

How would you describe your skills in the field (hands, athleticism, reflexes, anticipation, attacking the ball, chasing the ball down).
Athelitic fielder, specialise in the covers, exytra cover and gully region. Not good in slips.

Am the regular filler of the 5th bowler quotas in od games and good bowler in longer versions.
Seam up, specialist in new bowl swing movement

Big Conventional swing, lack the extreme pace for reversing. naturally bring the ball into the right hander, but have a good delivery that goes along the seam straight with a slight outswing movement.

For swing have to depend on deck comletely, else go for cutters and variation in pace

Inswing. left to right

disguise is good but little away movement not much.

What length would you say is your "stock" length? Short-of-length (a la "McGrath"), or full-of-length (a la "Waqar Younis")? since swing is my strength go for driving length to induce edge n lbw.

What (if possible) is an average pace? If you've never used a speed-gun, don't worry. my average pace would be 124

I would add that you do not have to answer these questions solely: if you believe it would be useful for me to know any other information about you please add anything you wish on at the end.

big thnaks ofr the invitation.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
All you guys needed was a little jab. Now the rest of you, do it!
Mine will hopefully be in the next couple of days, but depends on whether I get time to do it at work or not!