• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* VB Series Training Camp

a massive zebra

International Captain
My sincere apologies for the heartache I may have caused by not signing in earlier.

Part one: describe your batting and fielding prowess

How would you describe your style of batting (eg: do you like to drive on the up? Are you strongest through off or leg, or off front or back-foot?)

A left handed graduate of the Courtney Walsh school of batsmanship, my foot movement is distinctly Trescothickesque and my only scoring strokes are a slog through midwicket off shorter balls and frequent edges through the slips. I like to enjoy myself while batting and rarely last more than a couple of overs. A genuine number 11.

What are your main weaknesses when holding the bat (seam, swing, the turning ball, extreme pace, changes of pace, difficulty in picking changes of direction of movement)

A player of my abilities has no chance against inswinging yorkers and is normally baffled by changes of pace, but has less trouble with wayward bowling of extreme pace.

How would you describe your skills in the field (hands, athleticism, reflexes, anticipation, attacking the ball, chasing the ball down). What is your favourite field-position?

I have quick reflexes and enjoy making athletic catches and stops, but my throwing arm is not the best so I normally field close in.

Part two: your bowling abilities

How regularly do you bowl at the domestic level?

Very regularly, as bowling is my main strength.

Do you bowl seam-up or sidespin?

Sidespin.

How much and how do you move the ball through the air (for seam-up bowlers this would be conventional- and reverse- swing; for sidespinners this would be drift)

A little into the batsman, but nothing magical.

How much assistance do you usually need from the wicket to get the ball to move upon striking it (ie for a seamer do you rely exclusively on seam-movement or are you adept at using "cutters"?; for a spinner do you spin the ball with your fingers or wrists?)

To get a huge amount of turn I need a lot of help from the wicket, but my bowling is more based around accuracy and variations (arm-ball and a faster ball) than amount of spin. You could say I am more like Mohammad Rafique than Stuart MacGill.

In which direction (assume a right-hander is on strike) does your stock-ball move from the batsman?

It moves slightly away from the batsman.

Are you able to bowl - to order - a ball that moves in the opposite direction to your stock-ball? If so, how well would you say it tends to be disguised?

No, but I do have a faster ball and an arm-ball.

What length would you say is your "stock" length? Short-of-length (a la "McGrath"), or full-of-length (a la "Waqar Younis")?

My "stock" length would be that hard to hit "good" length that an accurate spinner normally focuses on.

What (if possible) is an average pace? If you've never used a speed-gun, don't worry.

Probably in the low 50s but with a faster ball well into the 60s.

Last edited:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Players yet to respond to the questionnaire:

E Moon
BJ Goff - Coming soon.
MJ Robbins
RG Verghese
AP Chaulk
S Bhatia - still to be done by me.

At least 2 of the above listed players should definitely have done it by now.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Players yet to respond to the questionnaire:

E Moon
MJ Robbins
RG Verghese
AP Chaulk

At least 2 of the above listed players should definitely have done it by now.

S Bhatia - still to be done by me.
BJ Goff - Coming soon.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I would like to emphasise that I place very little importance on right- or left- handed batsmen - all that matters to me is who scores the runs.

Right Handed for what it's worth

How would you describe your style of batting (eg: do you like to drive on the up? Are you strongest through off or leg, or off front or back-foot?)

All-round, not the most aggressive of men in FC, but not as slow as Vimes.
I tend to shift around the order to suit.

What are your main weaknesses when holding the bat (seam, swing, the turning ball, extreme pace, changes of pace, difficulty in picking changes of direction of movement)

Overconfidence and going for shots before getting set.

How would you describe your skills in the field (hands, athleticism, reflexes, anticipation, attacking the ball, chasing the ball down). What is your favourite field-position?

I tend to field in the slips.

As with batsmen, I don't mind much if you bowl right- or left- arm - all that matters is taking wickets and not conceding runs.

Right Arm medium to med-fast

How regularly do you bowl at the domestic level? I emphasise at the domestic level.

I'm usually 2nd/3rd change bowler for the Reds, but my bowling in County Cricket may see me move up if needed - although that depends how many of our attack remain from last year.

Seam

How much and how do you move the ball through the air (for seam-up bowlers this would be conventional- and reverse- swing; for sidespinners this would be drift)

Not a great deal

How much assistance do you usually need from the wicket to get the ball to move upon striking it (ie for a seamer do you rely exclusively on seam-movement or are you adept at using "cutters"?; for a spinner do you spin the ball with your fingers or wrists?)

My role means I don't tend to look for movement much.

In which direction (assume a right-hander is on strike) does your stock-ball move from the batsman?

Away if anything

Are you able to bowl - to order - a ball that moves in the opposite direction to your stock-ball? If so, how well would you say it tends to be disguised?

In my capacity it's never been called for.

What length would you say is your "stock" length? Short-of-length (a la "McGrath"), or full-of-length (a la "Waqar Younis")?

Fairly full, probably owing to my One Day bowling

What (if possible) is an average pace? If you've never used a speed-gun, don't worry.

Medium to Medium-Fast

I would add that you do not have to answer these questions solely: if you believe it would be useful for me to know any other information about you please add anything you wish on at the end.

Although it may not seem like it, the Reds were a good team last year, and I like to think some of that was down to my non-nonsense approach to captaincy.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
For clarity's purposes:
From lord_of_darkness's reply (received via forwarded email)

I would like to emphasise that I place very little importance on right- or
left- handed batsmen - all that matters to me is who scores the runs.

How would you describe your style of batting (eg: do you like to drive on
the
up? Are you strongest through off or leg, or off front or back-foot?)

Front foot player... defensive at the start very watchful then carry on to
play an aggressive role if necessary or carry on to play an anchoring role.
Strongest on the front foot through off side..

What are your main weaknesses when holding the bat (seam, swing, the turning
ball, extreme pace, changes of pace, difficulty in picking changes of
direction of movement)

Swing .. Left Handed Swing bowlers mainly.

How would you describe your skills in the field (hands, athleticism,
reflexes,
anticipation, attacking the ball, chasing the ball down). What is your
favourite field-position?

Favourite fielding position has to be mid on/mid off.. i like to be very
vocal
with supporting the team and talking to the bowler if hes in the middle of a
bad spell or encourage him if hes doing really well.. Very fast through the
field and always look to attack the ball put the opp under pressure..

As with batsmen, I don't mind much if you bowl right- or left- arm - all
that
matters is taking wickets and not conceding runs.

How regularly do you bowl at the domestic level? I emphasise at the domestic
level.

Quite regularly.. im a bowler by all respects who can bat quite a bit.

Right Arm Off Spin..

How much and how do you move the ball through the air (for seam-up bowlers
this would be conventional- and reverse- swing; for sidespinners this would
be
drift)

Not a great deal..

How much assistance do you usually need from the wicket to get the ball to
move upon striking it (ie for a seamer do you rely exclusively on seam-
movement or are you adept at using "cutters"?; for a spinner do you spin the
ball with your fingers or wrists?)

Spin the ball with my fingers... if the wicket offered assistance i would be
completely stoked .. but if it didnt then i always rely on my flight to get
through if there isint much turn..

In which direction (assume a right-hander is on strike) does your stock-ball
move from the batsman?

Into the batsmen.

Are you able to bowl - to order - a ball that moves in the opposite
direction
to your stock-ball? If so, how well would you say it tends to be disguised?

Well enough so far.. im still working on it.. Yet it works well..

What length would you say is your "stock" length? Short-of-length (a
la "McGrath"), or full-of-length (a la "Waqar Younis")?

Around the good length area for a spinner and probably at times
flighted/tossed up a bit more

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
I would like to emphasise that I place very little importance on right- or left- handed batsmen - all that matters to me is who scores the runs.

Im a right-handed top/middle order bat who has a contrasting style of play in both OD and Test cricket...
In OD's my performances have been of an extremely high standard however in tests i am yet to make my mark.

Im very much a leg side player who likes to play the pull and hook. When in form i drive on the off-side well

My main weakness is really the fuller delivery, sometimes i struggle when the ball is right on my toes, also sometimes my strength gets me into trouble if i play the shots in the air...

My fielding is of high quality with my preference being either cover or in the gully..

As with batsmen, I don't mind much if you bowl right- or left- arm - all that matters is taking wickets and not conceding runs.

Right arm medium who has recently improved my bowling with some solid performances in the recent Pura Cup season...

How regularly do you bowl at the domestic level? I emphasise at the domestic level.

Occasional although i am looking to increase this area...

Seam

Conventional but not to great extents...

Not alot of movement from the pitch

Away from the right hander

Not really...

Full length

Medium

I would add that you do not have to answer these questions solely: if you believe it would be useful for me to know any other information about you please add anything you wish on at the end.

I like to lead from the front... As captain i feel the best way to get people to follow is to show the way.....

Richard my email address is HSVgoffy @ bigpond . com

I dont get on MSN much these days so if you want to chat just send me an email...

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
*walks onto training ground*

*sees players lounging around with a beer*

*retreats before security camera sets eye on him*

cbuts

International Debutant
drinking beer whilst under the hot sun.....
the cameras wont be up and running for long

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
OK, boys, your first practice match will be played as soon as Liam can arrange. The teams will be as follows:
This Team:
CN Walsh
I Markus
A Cloete
MJ Robbins
C Buts
S Bhatia
L Camps
D Jellett (wk)
DJ Watt
N Pickup (cpt)
C Broadbent
That team:
E Moon
DP Towns
A Chalk (wk)
RJ Malone
BJ Goff (cpt)
Zaid Ghansar
R G Verghese
TC Halsey
K Wright
R Timewell
C Law
The names are to leave absolutely no doubt that I have simply selected two sides, without any thought of "First XI" and "Second XI" or anything like that.
First thing to make clear: no spinner is to overstep the popping-crease. If a spinner bowls a no-ball he gets 50 laps of the ground after the game - no joke, that. I don't ever want to see spinners bowling no-balls in a team of my charge, it can cost so much (especially in a one-day game) and it's so easily avoidable - just land half a foot behind the line. In the recent Zimbabwe series there were a few too many no-balls for my liking - we'll work on them as soon as practicable, I've not been able to find-out the culprits yet! :) But spinners, if there are any - fix it! Now! :happy:
For the actual bowling - if you're a seamer and you've got a bit of a no-ball problem - don't worry about it, you can't do anything in a match. We'll work on the problem in nets. I want to see you really concentrating on landing the ball well - yes, if your skill is taking wickets, go for it - but economy is equally if not more important.
Of course, there are plenty of proven bowlers who don't need to be told anything - you, just go out and bowl, you've done it plenty of times before, just keep doing it. We've got some terrific players here, as demonstrated quite clearly by our record in ODIs - to keep it up is the only challenge!
For the batsmen, I won't be especially pleased if I see someone going out and coming back immidiately to a poor stroke - once it's not the end of The World, twice and we'll have to do a bit of soul-searching. If you're an aggressor, play that way - but don't go OTT. I know it's stating the obvious and I know it's impossible to get it right every time, but sometimes these things are best said. Again, we've got plenty of batsmen of proven class - no need to change anything, just play the way you've been playing and there's no reason for anything to go wrong.
Above all - don't take it too seriously - this is a practice match, and though I want you to play like you mean it, there are far more significant games ahead and we've got to keep as much in the tank as poss.
Other than that - good luck to all of you, and I hope you all have a good game. (But if you don't, remember - it's not the end of The World! It's just one practice game.)

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
I thought this series was meant to run alongside the real VB Series, and that start tomorrow

Mr Mxyzptlk

James90 said:
I thought this series was meant to run alongside the real VB Series, and that start tomorrow
It has the same schedule as the VB Series, except for the actual dates. The sequence of games is the same.