• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** VB Series 2006

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Some stats I've complied for this series so far.

Australia

Batsman - Average (Strike Rate)
PA Jaques - 94.00 (83.93)
MJ Clarke - 58.67 (91.19)
MEK Hussey - 50.00 (75.38)
SM Katich - 42.60 (68.05)
AC Gilchrist - 40.75 (106.54)
JR Hopes - 40.50 (87.10)
DR Martyn - 32.20 (80.10)
A Symonds - 25.00 (94.34)
GB Hogg - N/A (73.33)
B Lee - 22.00 (79.52)
BJ Haddin - 21.00 (87.50)
RT Ponting - 17.00 (62.96)
SR Clark - 15.00 (150.00)
NW Bracken - 7.00 (50.00)
BJ Hodge - 3.50 (33.33)
BR Dorey - 2.00 (25.00)
GD McGrath - 2.00 (28.57)

Bowler - Average (Economy Rate)

NW Bracken - 19.00 (3.69)
B Lee - 23.00 (4.04)
GB Hogg - 29.29 (4.46)
A Symonds - 39.00 (5.13)
GD McGrath - 40.25 (3.58)
SR Clark - 40.50 (4.05)
MJ Clarke - 50.00 (6.25)
BR Dorey - 86.00 (6.62)
JR Hopes - 172.00 (5.73)
BJ Hodge - N/A (5.33)

So, statistically, Australia's best team would be:

NOTE: Opening batsmen have been seperated, but the rest Of the order simply follows batting average.

1. Phil Jaques
2. Adam Gilchrist
3. Michael Clarke
4. Michael Hussey
5. James Hopes (providing he doesnt bowl!)
6. Damien Martyn
7. Andrew Symonds
8. Brad Hogg
9. Brett Lee
10. Nathan Bracken
11. Glenn McGrath
SS: Stuart Clark

Obviously isnt Australia's actual best team, and the exercise is rather pointless, but I thought it'd be interesting all the same. Its worth noting that Andrew Symonds makes this statistical side on both batting and bowling alone.

howardj

International Coach
Prince EWS said:
Some stats I've complied for this series so far.

NOTE: Opening batsmen have been seperated, but the rest Of the order simply follows batting average.

1. Phil Jaques
2. Adam Gilchrist
3. Michael Clarke
4. Michael Hussey
5. James Hopes (providing he doesnt bowl!)
6. Damien Martyn
7. Andrew Symonds
8. Brad Hogg
9. Brett Lee
10. Nathan Bracken
11. Glenn McGrath
SS: Stuart Clark

Obviously isnt Australia's actual best team, and the exercise is rather pointless, but I thought it'd be interesting all the same. QUOTE]
Prince EWS said:
If you take out Hopes and pop Pointing in there, it is actually our best team.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
If you take out Hopes and pop Pointing in there, it is actually our best team.
You'd have to rearrange the batting order as well. You could also possibly add Katich at the expense of either Jaques or Martyn.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Langeveldt said:
Crikey this Sri Lankan guy Ganegama looks absolutely appaling, the new Rikki Clarke, but worse! Even I fancy a hit against him..
SL selectors and coach absolutely baffle me when it comes to picking their best Team for the game.

It would have made sense for most to play Ruchira Perera as the Super Sub or even in the Team over Fernando. They do the stupiddest thing to pick the guy who got smashed in Adelaide again - and not surprisingly he gives the Aussie run chase a rollicking start with a 20 run over . Absolutely apalling. :@

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
The only positive for SL from yesterdays game was the absolute confidance with which the newcomer Chamara Kapugedera played .

He deserves a fair run in the Team to see what he is capable of.

Arnold as usual struggled for most of his innings even to get singles and rotate the strike !!

He needs to either be moved up the order to avoid him coming in at the death and frustrating the other batsman around him or be dropped to give some of the others a fair crack in the same role he now plays(but poorly) .

Vaas is not captaincy material as shown clearly by his inability to even set fields to suit different circumstances and his inability to manage the bowling changes smartly and keep the run chase tight. Opening up with Dilhara was one of those things that he should have foreseen and the failure to use Kulasekera early was rather foolish.

I know most on this forum will think that I am harping on and on about Moody, But in my honest opinion Moody has added no value to this Teams performances in the past 8-9 months .

In fact to be honest it would be correct to say, SL were playing better before Moody came on. And everything seems to be heading down hill since.

A performance review is part of most contracts and I hope when this is undertaken such a review could be used shrewdly to get rid of Moody without SL Cricket having to bleed itself to give a severance package for this guy.

As far as Captaincy goes SL IMO needs to move onto a new Captain now, as Marvan is not only struggling as a Captain but his injury woes highlight his getting on in terms of his age.

At the end of this Tour SL will be better off getting a new Captain/Vice Captain duo so that the Team unity is preserved as well as individuals with sharper abilities in Captaincy are utilised for this role.

In my opinion Mahela/Sangakkara combination is the best combination for this purpose. Vaas needs to be more focussed on his bowling, which has struggled a fair bit in this series and he certainly lacks the skills required to be a Captain.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I was also disappointed with Dilshan in getting sucked into ongoing back chatting and disputes with the Aussies !! (several of them at various points - Martyn, Symonds, Mc Grath...)

For one thing Aussies will get away with anything, while Dilshan may end up getting fined or suspended if he got carried away.

Secondly , he and all in the Team should have learnt long before they arived in Australia that the Aussies do a lot of that sort of stuff to distract their opposition and put them off guard.

If he has not learnt that so far , he better do so now , otherwise he will end up being the loser !!

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
For Tuesday's game against SA, SL need their best Team on the Park and hope and pray that everything works for them , because its quite clear from Yesterday's game, which Team has the resources to utilise it better.

I expect Zondecki to be included for SA considering the pace and bounce at the WACA. (Along with Van Der Waath and Langeveltd)

SL need to bring Bandara back as Super Sub .

My Team for tomorrow v SA

Sanath J
Mubarak
Sangakkara
Arnold/Kapugedera
Jayawardene
Atapattu
Dilshan
Vaas
Murali
Kulasekera
Ruchira Perera

Super sub - Bandara

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Lostman said:
how many more failures does mubarak need to be dropped?
As much as I dont rate him and dont think he should get anywhere near the side, he hasnt done THAT badly this series. Scored a quickfire sixty against South Africa, and has chipped in with some useful thirties.

I dont think he should be in the side to be honest, but his form doesnt really scream out "Drop me for Tharanga who has had a woeful summer" either. Is Kapugedera an opening batsman at all? If he is, I have no doubt Mubarak should get the chop, but I dont see them dropping him otherwise.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
^ ^ ^ ^

I would agree with the above. If Tharanga was in better form, Mubarak could be replaced by Tharanga. But so far Tharanga has not shown that .

I don't think Kapugedera is ready to open in his second ODI (if it happens) with only 3 FC Games experience.

Arnold could be an option , but his current form does not favour this. So Mubarak will have to do for the time being.

Lostman

State Captain
tharanga did make a hundred in new zealand. Mubarak looks so predicatable and one dimensional he seems to make up his mind in the dressing room and it looks like he doesnt have the cricketing mind to adjust to different situations while he is actually batting.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
They should be giving Tharanga the opportunity to develop his game. Mubarak has been hanging around for a number of years now and most of the time looks hopelessly out of his depth.

Tharanga has shown he's got the ability to score big runs, it's wasting an opportunity for him to play against 2 of the better ODI sides.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Can anyone tell me why Perera and Bandara weren't in the sides yesterday? They've been playing really well I thought...

Last edited:

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
NZTailender said:
Katich has scored the most runs for Australia in this series...
well he has played every game and batted at the top of the order - course he still has a lower highest score in ODI's than Jaques...

Josh

International Regular
Surely Sri Lanka have to get rid of Mubarak. Definitely not the mould of an opener. Then again, Katich opens for Australia so... Who knows. I reckon they need to put someone else at the top.