• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Trans-Tasman Twenty20 Tri-Series

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The bowling's fine. This is the best available combo anyway.

Almost pointless to mention Starc in some ways considering he also hasn't played a T20 since the WC and skipped the whole BBL. Yeah he's playing IPL but he's not playing any cricket in that time which doesn't apply at any other time so no need to manage his workload. He's not a definite starter for the WC XI, at present.
Is Starc really not a definite starter? He'd still be such a good T20 bowler imo regardless of how little he's played the format recently. Personally haven't seen anything in Tye, Richardson or Stanlake that makes them better than him.

TheJediBrah

Is Starc really not a definite starter? He'd still be such a good T20 bowler imo regardless of how little he's played the format recently. Personally haven't seen anything in Tye, Richardson or Stanlake that makes them better than him.
Of course Starc is still the no. 1 pick. He's just never going to play because unless it's a world T20 it's always going to be more important for him to rest/prepare for the next series. I mean our last 2 home T20 series have both been played while the Test team is already overseas on tour . . .

Second Spitter

State Vice-Captain
Of course Starc is still the no. 1 pick. He's just never going to play because unless it's a world T20 it's always going to be more important for him to rest/prepare for the next series. I mean our last 2 home T20 series have both been played while the Test team is already overseas on tour . . .
In limited overs cricket,

He bowls to the left,
He bowls to the right,
That Mitchell Starc,
his bowling is s*ite.

Top_Cat

It's the workload, as TJB said. Starc's also, really, played ****-all in the format full stop.

But also, the bowling unit still matters in T20. The Aussie selectors have proven it themselves time and again when they stack the side before a tournament with guys who haven't played much together in the format only for them to get smacked. Individually, Starc is the best of all those bowlers no question. But in terms of the team, for me, he's a 'nice to have'.

TheJediBrah

Starc was pretty ordinary in the last ODI series tbf. Personally I think it's because he was tired and needed a break, and just finished winning the Ashes

Top_Cat

On top of a hefty pre-season after coming back from injury too. The only way bloke can bend his back as often as he does is because he doesn't play all three formats consistently.

TheBrand

First Class Debutant
Made my Radio Sport debut after the game last night, got sick of people moaning about Wheeler's performance. Dude's been rather impressive with bat and ball in the limited chances he's had for NZ, just had an off night. I still think Southee told Wheeler to bowl another waist high noey so he got taken out of the attack.

KW summed it up well in the post match by saying that a game like this was bound to happen at some point at Eden Park.

Hell of a game. Loved the guys face when he caught the one hander for $50k.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
In limited overs cricket,

He bowls to the left,
He bowls to the right,
That Mitchell Starc,
his bowling is s*ite.
Sorry to put fuel on the fire, but have you been watching cricket over the past five years? A guy who averages 20.95 @4.93 cannot be, in any way, conceived as s*ite.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
This T20 outfit showing the Aussie ODI side the way forward tbh.

Warner
Short 7
TPC 9
Finch 8
Maxwell 6
Stoinis 5
Carey
Agar 4
Starc 1
Tye 3
Haze 2

Can’t see a spot for Lynn unless he opens, and if Finch doesn’t do it then Short will. Have the latter opening as I think Finch is less awful vs spin.
I could get on board this team. Cummins and Richardson/s in the squad too. Lack of Zampa is nice too. TPC unlucky to be behind Finch bowling ?

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
He's not a leader, he should have layed down the law after the start Aus got off too.

To his credit, he played a blinder in the last game. Hopefully it's not a one off and can play like that every so often..
You know you've made a crap post when CM Punk likes it and quotes it in agreement. Sorry, everyone.

_Ed_

Still a bit deflated. There's no shame in losing to that Australian line-up, but I do feel like our bowling and fielding let us down. It could have been a very different story with four tidy-ish overs from Santner.

Great crowd and atmosphere, and well done to the Aussies.

Mike5181

International Captain
Looking at Wheeler's Super Smash performances it's a bit of a stretch to have him in the squad in the first place. Average of 42, ER of over 9. Not exactly impressive stuff.

Adam Milne's actually been a pretty good T20 bowler for us and he's been back playing Ford Trophy cricket for the last three weeks or so. That'd be a much better pick.

Burgey

Brian Waddle on abc grandstand now with his usual butter and twisted take on a NZ-Australia match

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Looking at Wheeler's Super Smash performances it's a bit of a stretch to have him in the squad in the first place. Average of 42, ER of over 9. Not exactly impressive stuff.

Adam Milne's actually been a pretty good T20 bowler for us and he's been back playing Ford Trophy cricket for the last three weeks or so. That'd be a much better pick.
Yep no lack of pace preventing Milne's introduction now, as of today anyway.

Probably a conscious decision from Lesson to try to get the non-Asian opposition in this series out with swing and cerebral left-arm orthodox, rather than dare to employ Milne and Ferguson's BBL machismo, then copping an embarrassing kid brother smackdown in front of the casuals.

Not that Wheeler's seam presentation is ever that flawless orbit we'd like, or that the quantity of lbw shouts he has on right-handers has ever really been rated. NZ domestic thread's always rated him to nick out left-handers with a bit of swing away though. It'd be slightly unlucky to play February night games in Auckland/Hamilton and get no swing at all.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

I like Wheeler but he's never been particularly good at T20 cricket (or really - white ball cricket more generally). I wouldn't have predicted the absolute train-wreck that it turned out to be, but it was always a weird pick. I wouldn't have even considered it and I'm a fan of the guy.

Flem274*

123/5
yeah and it would be so nz to boot a promising 140+ left armer who swings it with good bounce into the wilderness because he choked in a T20 against oz.

kid has the all physical tools to be trent boults equal in tests, perhaps better #triggerNDfans