• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official***THE FINAL- India vs Australia - November 19th - Narendra Modi Stadium, Ahmedabad (D/N)

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Was it Head or Warner who edged a delivery in the very first over? Kohli and Gill just didn't even move or make an attempt to catch that ball in the slips! I don't know what happened... it's as if both were stunned!
They were stunned. They were shocked the opposition hadn’t just rolled over for them as they’re taught the rest of the world will

Victor Ian

International Coach
I would like to pay tribute to Burgey's role here. With him leading the way, the Aussie fans never stooped to Gambhir levels of low. Sure, we pointed out that they had much to improve, but that ****ing pessimism thread is why India lost. It would have crept over that stadium and hung on them like a heavy fart.

Silver Silva

International Debutant
Rohit would have definitely bowled . Go and check the Toss and his body language when Cummins won .
However the bigger culprit were SKY , Jadeja and Iyer . Can’t afford to have 3 batting failures in a knockout match.
Rahul also gotta take some criticism, you can't take 100+ balls to score 65 , I know Marnus did the same but he knew what the target was

Jumno

First Class Debutant
India had a great chance when they had Australia at 47/3. It was an exciting game then, however Australia took it away especially Head.

Hard luck India

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I mean, in a game between two good sides, losing 1 of your first choice players can be a big blow. And for us, it was one of our 2 multi skilled players in the entire line up.

Like I said earlier, its the lack of batsmen who can bowl and bowlers who can bat, forget allrounders, that hurt us in the end.

DriveClub

International Regular
Imo main turning points with the help of hindsight:
1. Rohit getting out when he did since Gill was already out.
2. Shami getting the new ball instead of Siraj which turned out that both were crap with their new roles. India panicked because of the low total and thought they had to go all out attack with the new ball but both the bowlers couldn't adapt to the sudden change of plans.
3. Eventually india just choked, they couldn't perform at their absolute best on the day that counted whereas Aus prepared for the conditions and planned for individual players and executed them to perfection.

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
Aus may or may not have been even half as good as Ind in the first 10 matches, but they were clearly better when it mattered. That’s all the matters, and that’s what Ind(and other teams)should learn to do if they have to win tourney’s after this
Australia are the best at taking the emotion out of the game and playing with common sense ..

They back themselves 100% with positivity and determination. And backing yourself isn't just about dominating the opposition, sometimes backing yourself is trusting your defense like what Labuschagne did , he came in at 47/3 and basically said to India : 'Try and get me out if I'm there at the end we are winning this game' ..

Spark

Global Moderator
I mean, in a game between two good sides, losing 1 of your first choice players can be a big blow. And for us, it was one of our 2 multi skilled players in the entire line up.

Like I said earlier, its the lack of batsmen who can bowl and bowlers who can bat, forget allrounders, that hurt us in the end.
He was constrained for options for sure but I was still a little surprised at how little Rohit tried last night to change things up once the partnership got towards and then past the hundred mark. Tbf I think mentally they had thrown it in a bit by about 3/150, and I think the crowd is a big culprit in that; I think the negative energy produced in the stadium really affected the players after about the 20 over mark.

Silver Silva

International Debutant
It does feel kinda weird that Sri Lanka and West Indies have won ICC tournaments more recently than India despite all our problems off the field and how consistent this Indian team has been. @SillyCowCorner1

nick-o

State 12th Man
Guess right now Steve Smith is thinking "If only I'd reviewed that, I'd probably have scored an unbeaten ton to single-handedly win a WC final and cement my legend."

shame, really.

Himannv

International Coach
It's simple guys. We did not have a plan B. You don't win cups when that is the case.

Sri Lanka in 96 had a bad start in the semis on a similar wicket. But they kept going coz they had batting depth with Vaas Dharmasena at 8 and 9 and even Wickramasinghe at 10 who had scored test 50s and could hit a long ball. It enabled Aravinda to keep going after the bowling and they got themselves to 250 (equivalent of 300 yest). To keep harping on other stuff is to miss the forest for the trees. Aussies this WC had a very similar team to SL 96 with depth and all-round options making up where quality was an issue. They deservingly won just like Lanka in 96.
I think that's off the mark and you can't really pin this on the batting capabilities of your no 8. India had the strongest top 7 in the tournament really and those guys have to deliver when it counts.

Look at SA with Jansen coming in at 7 and nothing much after that. That tail didn't stop Miller from scoring a 100 with a SR of 87 when he came in at no. 6. Even if you take the Aussies, Maxwell scored his double when they were 7 down for 90ish with only Cummins left with any kind of decent batting ability. These guys didn't care about the batting ability of the tail, they stood up when their team needed them, took the risks, played their shots and delivered when it mattered.

India's batting didn't work because they did not perform under pressure. Rahul and SKY struggled to get it away and Iyer got out playing a poor shot. Jadeja came in ahead of SKY to try and build an innings but he failed at that. Gill miscued one. All these guys are top players who can win games on their own. They don't need a number 8 to give them a safety net.

De Silva was on a radio station today morning and I was listening in as I drove in to work. Some of the questions centered around his 100 in the finals and also his knock in the SF against India. Not once did he talk about the batting ability of the tail giving him freedom in his approach or impacting his mindset on those days. His main comment was regarding on-field experience to deal with the pressure of the situation. In fact, I've found the clip online so here you go (he talks about it towards the end of this):

Spark

Global Moderator
These guys didn't care about the batting ability of the tail, they stood up when their team needed them, took the risks, played their shots and delivered when it mattered.
In fairness, Starc contributed a few times as well - mind you, so did Zampa against England, which actually goes to show that it's as much a mindset and application thing as anything else as Zampa is as much of a #11 as the Indian bowlers.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
They weren't the best side all tournament. But they were the best side in the final by a distance. Conditions weren't the decisive factor. Australia bowled better, batted better and fielded better

And they did this despite all India's home ground advantage, choosing a worn pitch to suit them etc. They are true heroes
I pretty much agree with most of this and trundler is talking total smack.......but the bolded??? Not even you could say that with a straight face.

HouHsiaoHsien

International Debutant
Anyone else feels Shami should have WC Player of Tournament?
Bit divided on this. Pre this match would've chosen him ahead of Kohli, but he was awful in the final. Kohli atleast did his job, post which SKY, Jadeja should've got us the extra 30 runs, to get a decent score.