• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

C_C

International Captain
Dude, Lendl's last major came when he was 30, Agassi's last major when he was 33 Lendl had retired at 34, Agassi is 35+ and still playing. Not to forget Lendle was crushed by Becker. Besides Agassi is nowhere the physical monster Lendl was. Do you see the difference now. Lendl would have retired earlier had it not been for his quest for winning Wimbledon.
Lendl played and competed well till he was 32 or 33 i think. Agassi has played longer than most but it is obvious that his fitness level is a lightyear ahead of other 30-year olds- today or in the past.
And Agassi isnt a physical monster ? Can you show me another tennis player who moved as well as Agassi does at the age of 33-34 ?
No- nobody did.
Agassi's continued excellence is due to his superb fitness and not decline in tennis quality.

Yeah Right and Johny Mac of 90s and today is same same as that of 80s, right ?? He is an alltime great and when he switches on he can beat anyone right ??
There is a difference between ' i had retired over 10 years ago' and 'i am comming to the end of my career'.

Becker is the only exception, ever heard the name Bjorg ? Anyways, yes Federer beat Agassi in 2003 November when he was only 4 months shy of turning 34 and Federer had hit his peak form because in next one year he won 3 grand slams, . Roger was not a newbie when he was beaten by Agassi, Federer turned pro in 1998 and until 2002 when Agassi was 31, he had lost all the three matches played. Even an aged Agassi took him to five sets in 2004 US open Quarters and in the same US open Roger crushed Hewitt(who is considered in top 3 palyers today) 6-0, 7-6, 6-0. That's the competition Roger gets now a days. And as far as newbies are concerned, Jim courier, Agassi, Pete, Becker all won at least one GS within 3 years of turning pro, Roger won his first after six years.
Yes, thank you for reminding me of Borg- still, players who succeed from the get-go are much rarer.
Agassi beat Federer in the first few years of his arrival - when Federer was still a newbie...He is only 24 right now and 3-4 years ago, he was still learning the trade.
20-21 is a stage where a lotta players are getting dominated by the old guard. Sampras didnt win a title till 2 years after turning pro and didnt win a grand slam for 5 years after turning pro.
Roger didnt win a title for the first 3 years of his professional career and won his grand slam in his fifth year. Like Sampras.
Sampras had a losing record to Becker, Lendl, Edberg, etc in the first few years of his career as well.
That is nothing uncommon..like i said, apart from Borg, Becker and maybe a few others here and there, almost everybody loses far more than they win for the first few years after they turn pro.
Look- it is a fact that competition today, as in the last 4-5 years,is stronger than it has ever been.
That is why you see such a mixed bag of grand slam winners and semi finalists - because today there are atleast 50-60 players who can beat anybody if they are performing at 100% and the other person has so much of a 5-10% drop in efficiency.
That is a fact that every tennis expert acknowledges- You didnt have so many quality players in the 1990s or infact anytime before.
You didnt have players of the callibre of Carlos Moya outside the top 25, you didnt have players like Chela outside the top 30, etc.
The difference between Sampras( or Borg/McEnroe/Lendl/Becker, etc) and Federer's era is this:
Today there are dozens and dozens of players who can win a grand slam because they are pretty good and their games are pretty good.
Back then, there was a group of higly skilled dozen or so players, who routinely featuredi n the QF/SF of all grandslams and the 'can win a grand slam' field was much smaller.
That is something people like McEnroe, Tracy Austin, Becker, Agassi etc. openly admits- and that is evident if you see a 2nd round US open match from 1992 and one from today.

Rios had very good forehand but nowhere near as all time best. All time best can be Courier, Lendl, Sampras, Federer and Pete's running forehand was the best I have seen. Roddick's forehand is good but IMO he takes too much time before hitting his forehand (to get more power) and that's what makes his forehand very predictable. I dont know much about Muster other than him being a Clay court monster. I dont think he could beat Pete's forehand on any other surface.
Federer's forehand is predictable ?!?!
Is this why he hits so many winners from his forehand side ?
He takes longer to release his forehand than a quick-releaser like Courier or Agassi but Sampras had a big windup to his forehand too.
Sampras had an excellent running forehand- true. But like i said, Federer rarely plays a running forehand, because he is such a good mover- he is definately a superior mover than Pete is, which means he gets to the ball quicker and is in position quicker than Pete is.
And if you are in position, you dont play a running forehand...running forehand isnt considered a big deal in tennis - its something that is a bonus but you do not require it if you are an excellent mover like Federer.
As per the best forehand, i agree with most names in your list as being near the top but one glaring omission is Magnus Gustaffson- he had undoubtedly the best forehand of the 90s. Players- even players like Sampras- avoided his forehand side almost with the same feindish dedication as players avoided Steffi Graf's forehand.
Muster had a giant forehand and was a superman in terms of fitness.... he was not a typical claycourt bully like Bruguera - he had the game to win on hard courts except for his serve, which was rather weak.
But his backcourt game was definately good.

We will never know that unless he faces some real challenge on a tennis court. Shot making comes from confidence in your game and when you are really challenged, 6-0s and 6-es aren't what I call challenged.
Federer makes stunning shots almost every match- he made stunning shots when he lost to Safin and Nadal. He simply creates shots that someone like Pete never did- like i said, his level of shotmaking isnt seen since the days of McEnroe.

Good that you mentioned that Roger's game is an amalgam of Agassi's Backcourt and Sampras' Serv & Volley, but is he better than Andre in Back court, I doubt, is he a better serve and volley player than Pete, NO. Pete's backcourt game(combined with his serve) was good enough to beat players like Agassi. I hardly saw Pete making a double fault on his serve, Federer did that the other day against Roddick and I didn't even watch the full match. No matter how much you deny, Pete's had the most reliable serve one has seen. Roger doesn't.
His back-court game is better than Agassi's IMO. His forehand is much bigger than Agassi's, he has the touch that Agassi( or practically anybody) lacks and his backhand is a rocket- with a single handed backhand, he has more court coverage than Agassi as well.
His serve and volley- his serve is slightly behind Sampras's IMO but his volleying is superior.
He just doesnt volley as much as Sampras did because Federer is one of the few who can truly dominate from the baseline or from the net. It is a harder to pass Federer than Pete IMO...the only volleyers i can say were definately superior to Federer were Edberg, Becker, Rafter and McEnroe.
And having watched Pete all his career, i've never seen Pete beat any baseliner who's playing well without serve and volley. I saw him beat Agassi once in Indianapolis playing from the baseline but that was during Agassi's slump, where he eventually dropped out of the top 100.

err that is because top 10 today aren't good enough to stay there for long. I classify them as the Greg Reudeskis of 90s.
You classify them wrong, because every single top 10 today has a game that is superior to Rusedski and his like.
The reason they dont stay there long enough is because the pool is lot more competitive today than in the past- again, hear the expert opionions on this matter and watch a lotta tennis and you'd find this.
The latest generation of rackets and feindish following of the Bollitieri school of tennis has produced players who are much more of a complete packages and not the dodos from baseline like Henman or dodos from the net like Bruguera of the past.

Nonsense, No. 2 Roddick doesn't have anything except for his serve. Hewitt's speed and his return is his strength and other than that he doesn't have much of a game. The only player today who can challenge Roger or can be considered as a top 10 player besides Roger is Safin. And as I said, Safin is the Goran of 2000s and until he changes that I dont see much competition for Roger.
Hewitt is a modern day Agassi, though of slightly lower quality. He is still a damn sight superior to players like Courier though- grand slam or no grand slam.
Roddick doesnt have anything apart from Power- his touch game is totally lacking. But his power from serve, forehand and backhand is good enough to overpower most players- today or from the past. A player who's only grasscourt loss for the past 3 years have come to Federer is by no means a crap grasscourt player. He isnt in the Edberg-McEnroe-Becker-Sampras-Federer-Borg-Rafter category of grasscourters but he is definately in the group immediately below that echelon.
Safin is the Goran of 2000s because of his mental frailty. Oterhwise, his game is much superior to that of Goran's. Goran's backhand was about as reliable as Vancouver's weather(which is to say, non existant reliablity).

What ?? Roddick is as good as grass on anyone in 90s ?? Dude, ever heard the name Scud, Rafter, Agassi, Becker, Edberg, Stich, Martin etc ?
Roddick is definately better than Todd Martin/Stich or Scud IMO.

I dont think he is better than Pete on Grass or Hard Courts. He is better on Clay and that's it but Sampras of 90s would beat Federer of today 7 out of 10 times on hard/Grass court. Roger will probably win it all on clay.
Federer simply has a much superior game to anyone i've seen, barring Laver. And i've seen Laver a lot from videotapes. His game is very much like Lavers- that is, perfection.
The closest to perfection after Federer IMO would be Borg, not Sampras. I consider Borg to be the greatest player of the open era after Federer, with Sampras a close third.
Borg was basically the pioneer of the modern baseline game. He is the first not to have the 'handshake' grip ( something you see Henman having and thus his baseline game sucking so bad- since handshake grip and topspin dont go well together), he was the first to give heavy topspin and his accuracy was unmatched- nobody was more accurate than Borg. If you watch 'the match' between Borg and McEnroe ( the 5 setter wimbledon final that mr loudmouth lost), you'd see how accurate Borg was. He hit the 'T' half the time in that match and McEnroe hung in there basically due to his genius shotmaking. Nothing more.
What more, Borg could volley pretty well too but like Agassi, he didnt control the point from the net but rather came in to finish a point- though IMO he was a significantly superior volleyer than Agassi.
So as far as i am concerned, Federer has the most complete game in the Open era that i've ever seen and Borg had the mental constitution of a behemoth, alongside a fitness level that none could match(not even Lendl or Agassi), the accuracy that nobody has ever duplicated- before or since and a versatility that is hard to match.
That guy retired at the age of 26 with the best record ever at grandslams( in terms of win%) and apart from Laver, he is, i think, the only player who's won wimbledon and French open in the same year- that too, thrice.
In his last year, Borg had a record of winning the french open and comming runners-up(both times to McEnroe) at the WImbledon and US open.
Dont forget, back in those days, Australian Open was considered a 'minor tourney' and nobody payed much heed to the Aussie Open...so essentially outta 3 grand slams and playing for 8-9 years, he won 11 and came runners-up in i think atleast 5 others( r.up at US open 4 times i think).....
All this by the age of 26...i have very little doubt if Borg played OZ open( he only participated once) and played till a normal retirement age ( 30-32/33), his grand slam record would've been untouchable.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
Lendl played and competed well till he was 32 or 33 i think. Agassi has played longer than most but it is obvious that his fitness level is a lightyear ahead of other 30-year olds- today or in the past.
And Agassi isnt a physical monster ? Can you show me another tennis player who moved as well as Agassi does at the age of 33-34 ?
No- nobody did.
Agassi's continued excellence is due to his superb fitness and not decline in tennis quality.
Agassi is nothing compared to Lendl's physical strength. Agassi's was a class untill 2 years ago. He is detoriating very fast and I expect a retirement announcement very soon. But I can say that he can still beat Hewitt/Safin/'Roddick even on their day. This couldn't be said about the Lendl of early 90s, Becker/Edberg/Pete would have crushed him, like Federer can crush Agassi now.

There is a difference between ' i had retired over 10 years ago' and 'i am comming to the end of my career'.
So Agassi of 2005 is same Agassi of 90s, right ??

Sampras didnt win a title till 2 years after turning pro and didnt win a grand slam for 5 years after turning pro.
Wrong, Pete Turned pro in 1988 and won the US open in 1990. And I dont know how that becomes 5 years in my counting it is less than 3 years.

Roger didnt win a title for the first 3 years of his professional career and won his grand slam in his fifth year. Like Sampras.
He won his title in 6th year , Sampras did in 3rd year, I dont know how that can be same.

Today there are dozens and dozens of players who can win a grand slam because they are pretty good and their games are pretty good.
Back then, there was a group of higly skilled dozen or so players, who routinely featuredi n the QF/SF of all grandslams and the 'can win a grand slam' field was much smaller.
That is something people like McEnroe, Tracy Austin, Becker, Agassi etc. openly admits- and that is evident if you see a 2nd round US open match from 1992 and one from today.
Instead of quoting Mac, Becker etc why dont you name some players from this era who are in the same league of Borg/Connors/Mac/Lendl or Becker/Pete/Edberg/Agassi/Goran/Rafter/Courier etc. I dont consider Hewitt/Roddick in the same league and only a fit and balanced Safin and Roger can be considered that good.

Federer's forehand is predictable ?!?![
Is this why he hits so many winners from his forehand side ?
He takes longer to release his forehand than a quick-releaser like Courier or Agassi but Sampras had a big windup to his forehand too.
I was talking about Roddick's forehand who is considered good today. Federer's is class but Roddick's isn't that ofcourse in mi opinion.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
All this by the age of 26...i have very little doubt if Borg played OZ open( he only participated once) and played till a normal retirement age ( 30-32/33), his grand slam record would've been untouchable.
that's possibly true...11 slams by 26 is a fantastic achievement....although he wouldn''t have been able to maintain the same win % at slams against an in-form mcenroe, up-and-coming lendl, wilander...also by '85, two other super talents were starting to bring it on on the big stage, edberg and becker...and if you consider the ever-present threat of connors, vilas etc, i very much doubt whether borg would've maintained that super winning %...having said that he was definitely capable of winning another 3-4 slams(would've been mostly the french, i'd say) by 30-32....

C_C

International Captain
Well i dont think Borg would've won more than 5-6 grand slams if he played another 5-6 years...Borg retired in 81 i think....Becker didnt come around till 86 i think.... thats around the same time when Edberg came along too and 81 is when Connors (someone Borg thumped) and McEnroe were his only immediate challenge...Lendl and Wilander were developing but still in the newbie stage. He would still be peerless on clay(for none of his immediate competitors were anywhere close to him on clay) and good enough for a few slams at wimbledon/aus/us open....

But i do think he could've approached 20 grand slams if he had played in more than 1 australian open... I can definately see him winning a few australian open had he bothered showing up.

C_C

International Captain
Sanz- thanks for the correction but the point still stands : at a newbie stage, almost everyone has a sucky record- an alltime great or even an alsoran.
First 3-4 years isnt good enough to compare anyone really, as it is still development stage.

As per who is good enough today to be compared to Rusedski/Todd martin/ivanisevic/courier, lets just agree to disagree, for i think there are dozens today with a game to match or beat all those at their prime.
That by the way, is also the expert opinion on the matter.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
Well i dont think Borg would've won more than 5-6 grand slams if he played another 5-6 years...Borg retired in 81 i think....Becker didnt come around till 86 i think.... thats around the same time when Edberg came along too and 81 is when Connors (someone Borg thumped) and McEnroe were his only immediate challenge...Lendl and Wilander were developing but still in the newbie stage. He would still be peerless on clay(for none of his immediate competitors were anywhere close to him on clay) and good enough for a few slams at wimbledon/aus/us open....

But i do think he could've approached 20 grand slams if he had played in more than 1 australian open... I can definately see him winning a few australian open had he bothered showing up.
becker won wimbledon in '85...and edberg won the australian in '85 as well.......wilander won the french in '82 and was a force from then on till his retirement in the mid-'90s....lendl
won the french in '84 and you know what he accomplished in the years since....

when borg retired in '81, he was 26, if he had played on till he was 32-33, he would have been playing in 85 at age 30, that's why i brought these four up...they would all have been genuine hurdles in his way apart from mcenroe, connors etc....

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
As per who is good enough today to be compared to Rusedski/Todd martin/ivanisevic/courier, lets just agree to disagree, for i think there are dozens today with a game to match or beat all those at their prime.
rusedski is not worth mentioning, ivanisevic was a force at wimbledon and nowehere else, courier was a consistent player and was a player who usually pounced on more talented players when they were not at their best, still won 3 slams...but not a tennis great(andy roddick, lleyton hewitt and safin would blast him away playing at 75% of their capacity...), todd martin was a good grass and hard courter, a fiesty player but way, way below the standards of the three players in question.....

C_C

International Captain
Okay, so i was off by a year.
I think it can also be conversely argued that if Bjorg did play till 85/86 or so, people like McEnroe, Connors,Becker,Edberg etc. would have less titles...because by no means was borg done....a person who makes all the grand slam finals he competes in in his last year, and wins one of them, is by no means 'done'.
he had 11 when he was done, essentially playing 11 australian opens... all i am syaing is, if he had played another 5 years or so, another 4-6 grand slams was definately possible....and if he had played in OZ open more than once, he could've won another 2-3 slams or so.... so i think that if Borg played all the slams and till a regular retirement age, he would've approached 20 slams...i think that is a credible speculation, given the man's record.

C_C

International Captain
I agree.... but its not just Hewitt/Safin/Roddick..i think a lotta players would blast away Rusedski/Todd martin/Courier etc........players like Moya,Fererro,Canas,Chela,Lopez, etc.I dont think Ivanisevic would've been any different - his problems were in his mind, not his game and if you got problems in your mind, i dont see how the quality of the field is of much significance.

Btw, does anyone know what happened to lapentti ?

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
Okay, so i was off by a year.
I think it can also be conversely argued that if Bjorg did play till 85/86 or so, people like McEnroe, Connors,Becker,Edberg etc. would have less titles...because by no means was borg done....a person who makes all the grand slam finals he competes in in his last year, and wins one of them, is by no means 'done'.
he had 11 when he was done, essentially playing 11 australian opens... all i am syaing is, if he had played another 5 years or so, another 4-6 grand slams was definately possible....and if he had played in OZ open more than once, he could've won another 2-3 slams or so.... so i think that if Borg played all the slams and till a regular retirement age, he would've approached 20 slams...i think that is a credible speculation, given the man's record.
agreed...if you notice i wasn't saying that borg was "done", i was just saying that these folks would've been genuine competition for him....and would've made his task much more difficult than in the late 70's and early 80's where only connors, mcenroe, vilas and maybe someone like roscoe tanner(not a huge threat i know..) had stood in his way.... :)

C_C

International Captain
True, 80s was a bit more competitive than late 70s.........btw, dont forget Illie nastase...he had a monster game but was involved in too much politics.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
Btw, does anyone know what happened to lapentti ?
faded away into obscurity...i remember when he first arrived on the scene, they were hailing him as a great talent and a future great....but somehow he never came close to fulfilling his potential...

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
True, 80s was a bit more competitive than late 70s.........btw, dont forget Illie nastase...he had a monster game but was involved in too much politics.
true i missed mr. nasty....he was a force through most of the 70's....

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
Err I didn't include Rusedski/Martin , I clearly said 'Becker/Pete/Edberg/Agassi/Goran/Rafter/Courier'. Let me add couple of names more Kefelnikove/Rios/Kureten/Berguera. You say there are dozens, yet you dont name a single player beside Safin/Roger who were as good as those. Roddick/Hewitt at best can be classified in the league of Rusedskis/Krajiceks/Rossets of 90s. I can bet Roddick/Hewitt will find it hard to beat Scud/Krajiceks of 90s (on Grass that is).

C_C

International Captain
*I* personally think there are many who could match the gameplay of many you named in that list.

First, you gotto realise that Tennis today is in the same stage as it was around 1990 or so in terms of greats - players like Becker,Edberg, Sampras,Courier,Agassi etc. all up-n-commers or recent stars...

When it comes to Bruguera, i think practically every good claycourter today is better than him...Bruguera was pretty much 'put the ball back' philosophy with not much power or accuracy...just exgaggerated topspin. Players like Federer, Safin, Ferrerro,Kuertin, Moya, Nadal, Agassi, Nalbandian, Hrbarty, Robredo, Chela,Coria,Hewitt, Gaudio, etc. would have him for lunch.

Players who have a better game than Courier, IMO are Safin, Hewitt, Federer, Roddick ( courier always struggled against big servers), Fererro, Nalbandian, Gaudio etc.

When it comes to Becker/Edberg/Agassi/Sampras category, for one, the first two were near-non factors by the time the second half of the 90s rolled around. They apply to generation Sampras/Agassi as much as Sampras/Agassi/Rafter applies to generation Federer/Hewitt - maybe a wee bit more, since they played a couple more years with them than Sampras has but nothing more.
Kafelnikov was class, but IMO would be bested by players like Federer, Roddick,Hewitt, Nadal, Moya, Safin etc.

Kuerten, again , applies to this generation as much as he applies to Sampras-Agassi generation. Most of this generation's 'good' players - like Federer, Safin, Hewitt etc. have been going at it since 99 or 2000 or so.... Kuerten is still active and still was an awesome force till last year or so...he still counts because right now he is indisposed due to injury, not much else....Rios...well i dunno what to make of Rios really...he spent more time being injured than playing but on his day he could beat anyone... this generation might throw up someone like him- every generation seems to have their 'talented but mostly injured' player - players like Vilas, Cash, Rios etc.

I find that one reason it is so easy to identify the 'greats/good' player of the 90s or 80s is because beyond half a dozen or so players, the players were a whole step below...today beyond maybe the top 5, the top 50 is very competitive to each other- this is something, which is my opinion as well as most expert opinions......

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
***Official US Tennis Open*** Thread

The seedings announced:

MEN
1. Roger Federer (SUI)
2. Rafael Nadal (ESP)
3. Lleyton Hewitt (AUS)
4. Andy Roddick (USA)
5. Marat Safin (RUS)
6. Nikolay Davydenko (RUS)
7. Andre Agassi (USA)
8. Guillermo Coria (ARG)
9. Gaston Gaudio (ARG)
10. Mariano Puerta (ARG)
11. David Nalbandian (ARG)
12. Tim Henman (GBR)
13. Richard Gasquet (FRA)
14. Thomas Johansson (SWE)
15. Dominik Hrbaty (SVK)
16. Radek Stepanek (CZE)
17. David Ferrer (ESP)
18. Ivan Ljubicic (CRO)
19. Tommy Robredo (ESP)
20. Juan Carlos Ferrero (ESP)
21. Fernando Gonzalez (CHI)
22. Mario Ancic (CRO)
23. Jiri Novak (CZE)
24. Mikhail Youzhny (RUS)
25. Taylor Dent (USA)
26. Feliciano Lopez (ESP)
27. Olivier Rochus (BEL)
28. Greg Rusedski (GBR)
29. Tommy Haas (GER)
30. Max Mirnyi (BLR)
31. Carlos Moya (ESP)
32. Tomas Berdych (CZE)

WOMEN
1. Maria Sharapova (RUS)
2. Lindsay Davenport (USA)
3. Amelie Mauresmo (FRA)
4. Kim Clijsters (BEL)
5. Svetlana Kuznetsova (RUS)
6. Elena Dementieva (RUS)
7. Justine Henin-Hardenne (BEL)
8. Serena Williams (USA)
9. Nadia Petrova (RUS)
10. Venus Williams (USA)
11. Patty Schnyder (SUI)
12. Mary Pierce (FRA)
13. Anastasia Myskina (RUS)
14. Alicia Molik (AUS)
15. Nathalie Dechy (FRA)
16. Elena Bovina (RUS)
17. Jelena Jankovic (SEM)
18. Ana Ivanovic (SEM)
19. Vera Zvonareva (RUS)
20. Elena Likhovtseva (RUS)
21. Daniela Hantuchova (SVK)
22. Dinara Safina (RUS)
23. Silvia Farina Elia (ITA)
24. Tatiana Golovin (FRA)
25. Shinobu Asagoe (JPN)
26. Francesca Schiavone (ITA)
27. Nicole Vaidisova (CZE)
28. Gisela Dulko (ARG)
29. Flavia Pennetta (ITA)
30. Anna Chakvetadze (RUS)
31. Ai Sugiyama (JPN)
32. Anna-Lena Groenefeld (GER)

Pothas

I think that is because the other us, the french and the australan opens have there seedings based purley on the world rankings while wimbeldon like to tinker with them a bit too suit their needs

Pothas

Good too see old Rusedksi has managed too get himelf a seeding he might be able to get too the 3rd instead of getting drawn against a top seed in the 2nd round like he has of late. Obviously Federer will most likely win although id like too see safin claim his 2nd grand slam title of the year.
It really is about time kim clisters won a major title so im tipping her too win the womens event