• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Anyway, spare a thought for my 21 year old son, who's not at all happy about being older than the Wimbledon men's champion. He wasn't thrilled about the England football and cricket teams including blokes who are younger than him (Bellingham and Ahmed of course), but he feels like this is a whole other level. At least I had to wait until I was 25 before someone younger than me won Wimbledon, even if Becker is 8 years my junior.

Molehill

International Captain
But yes, you're dead right about the raquet smash of course. I actually managed to miss that bit of the action, so it didn't strike me so firmly. As you say, thankfully that last bit's also true of spectators and ball boys/girls. Didn't Henman of all people lose a match for doing that before he was any good?
Yes, he accidentally smacked a ball into a ball girl in a doubles match and got disqualified. Djokovic himself knows only too well about doing this, it probably cost him a US Open.

Molehill

International Captain
Anyway, spare a thought for my 21 year old son, who's not at all happy about being older than the Wimbledon men's champion. He wasn't thrilled about the England football and cricket teams including blokes who are younger than him (Bellingham and Ahmed of course), but he feels like this is a whole other level. At least I had to wait until I was 25 before someone younger than me won Wimbledon, even if Becker is 8 years my junior.
My eldest was doing A Levels in the same year as Raducanu, I pointed out that she was also winning the US Open at the same time.

First Wimbledon Mens winner younger than me was actually Hewitt (9 years younger). Although I'm less than a year younger than Sampras, Krajicek and Ivanisevic.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Yes, he accidentally smacked a ball into a ball girl in a doubles match and got disqualified. Djokovic himself knows only too well about doing this, it probably cost him a US Open.
I don't remember that one at all, but I'm your typical middle-Englander who only shows up for Wimbledon.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
My eldest was doing A Levels in the same year as Raducanu, I pointed out that she was also winning the US Open at the same time.

First Wimbledon Mens winner younger than me was actually Hewitt (9 years younger). Although I'm less than a year younger than Sampras, Krajicek and Ivanisevic.
I forgot about her too, and she's a few months younger than my eldest. I wonder whether we'll ever see her do anything significant again.

Molehill

International Captain
I forgot about her too, and she's a few months younger than my eldest. I wonder whether we'll ever see her do anything significant again.
I think we probably will, you don't win a US Open like that without having a certain amount of talent. She needs to sort out her injuries and quit doing so much commercial stuff. The company I work for are one of her sponsors, it's quite weird being sat at my desk in the office with a huge picture of her about to smash a serve in my direction.

I don't remember that one at all, but I'm your typical middle-Englander who only shows up for Wimbledon.

Tennis star Novak Djokovic abruptly disqualified from US Open l GMA - YouTube

Here's how he did it...

BoyBrumby

Englishman

Yeah, ditto. Because the Pistol kept winning every year (save 96) I was in my late twenties before someone my junior triumphed.

Molehill

International Captain
Yeah, ditto. Because the Pistol kept winning every year (save 96) I was in my late twenties before someone my junior triumphed.
I actually worked at Wimbledon in '96 as a toilet cleaner (had just finished Uni)!! I was sat hiding in a toilet on Centre Court as Cliff Richard did his thing. It was also Henman's breakout year and I got to see all of his matches (in those days, if you had a pass you could just sneak on to any spare seat) until the QF when tickets were changing hands for stupid prices. I also had to watch the Euro '96 semi on Henman Hill which threatened to turn a bit nasty afterwards. The other breakout that year was Hingis. Funnily enough, I've never been back since.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I actually worked at Wimbledon in '96 as a toilet cleaner (had just finished Uni)!! I was sat hiding in a toilet on Centre Court as Cliff Richard did his thing.
I'm pretty sure that's why they had the roofing attached to prevent any sort of repeat if it rained again when Cliff was present.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Now that Wimbledon is done and dusted, some folks may enjoy the Sky Documentary 'McEnroe',

I managed to find it on my free-view TV programmes, and thought it was an hour and three quarters well spent. The man himself is articulate, funny and mostly self-aware (apart from when he starts talking about 'changing tennis' as some sort of justification for his behaviour, which is obviously nonsense). I enjoyed his commentary over sections from some of the key matches in his career, especially those against Borg in 1980 and 1981. Most of it is very watchable indeed. Lots of great footage, and lots of good interviews.

Last edited:

Niall

International Coach
Hey @Niall so Sabalenka is going to win the National Bank Open, right?
Random reign of terror from Samsonova who really should have done something at a slam by now.

I see she had to play Rybakina today and got a 2 hour break to play in the final? , not a surprise she got hammered in the final.