• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Molehill

International Captain
Fantastic win from Alcaraz, delighted to see him beat the Djoker. I too was wondering what happened in that 7 minute break, not exactly the first time he's done it either. I believe the only other person to beat him in a 5 set Final is Murray at the US Open.

As for Alcaraz, he could dominate for a decade. He seems to be way ahead of his peers and with Djokovic likely to retire in a couple of years, it's hard to see at the moment who beats him. Also seems like a genuinely nice fella too.

Can't help thinking the changing room got trashed when Djokovic got back there afterwards, you could see he was seething in his on court interview.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I thought Djokovic handled himself pretty well in the post-match interview. Nice sense of humour actually. But his gamesmanship during the match was there for all to see. And they need to bring in a code for 'spectator abuse' to deal with his sarcastic applauding and general moaning at those of them who have the temerity to prefer his opponents. Maybe call the code 'douche alert' to more broadly address said behaviour.

Last edited:

Molehill

International Captain
I thought Djokovic handled himself pretty well in the post-match interview. Nice sense of humour actually. But his gamesmanship during the match was there for all to see. And they need to bring in a code for 'spectator abuse' to deal with his sarcastic applauding and general moaning at those of them who have the temerity to prefer his opponents. Maybe call the code 'douche alert' to more broadly address said behaviour.
It wasn't bad, but I did pick up on the comment he made about winning a couple of 5 setters he didn't think he should have in the past to even things up. Basically, he thought he should've won this one.

He was lucky with the racquet smash, that could easily have ricocheted into a ballboy/girl/spectator/umpire and that would've been game over.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Looking ahead, I know it looks like Alacaraz could dominate the game for years to come, but it doesn't always work out that way. I remember thinking the same thing when Connors won in 1974, but he only once more Wimbledon (mainly because Borg happened), ditto McEnroe in 1981, but he only won it on two other occasions (mainly because life happened) and, especially when Becker won it aged 17 in 1985, but he only won it twice more too. Even Borg called it a day at the age of 26 because McEnroe had beaten him in a couple of finals and he just didn't need the hassle any more.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
It wasn't bad, but I did pick up on the comment he made about winning a couple of 5 setters he didn't think he should have in the past to even things up. Basically, he thought he should've won this one.

He was lucky with the racquet smash, that could easily have ricocheted into a ballboy/girl/spectator/umpire and that would've been game over.
Oh I'm sure he does, but I don't begrudge him that. It goes with the self-belief that makes him such an incredible competitor. And I liked his honesty, which I didn't find disrespectful towards his opponent.

But yes, you're dead right about the raquet smash of course. I actually managed to miss that bit of the action, so it didn't strike me so firmly. As you say, thankfully that last bit's also true of spectators and ball boys/girls. Didn't Henman of all people lose a match for doing that before he was any good?

Last edited: