• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Super Series

Knopfler

School Boy/Girl Captain
Tim said:
Watson looks a very ordinary cricketer to me, or at least he doesn't have the x-factor for international cricket.

He appears overrawed when he bats, and his bowling is quite short and wide at times. I can't see Australia having too much patience with him..but I think they need to because they haven't got many options for all-rounders.
Do you need all-rounders? Sure they can be great (eg Kallis and Flintoff) but I dont think you need to have an all-rounder in the team.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, it's possible..you might be right.

But then you just need to see a Flintoff to realise how truly valuable a good all-rounder can be to a side.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Tim said:
Watson looks a very ordinary cricketer to me, or at least he doesn't have the x-factor for international cricket.

He appears overrawed when he bats, and his bowling is quite short and wide at times. I can't see Australia having too much patience with him..but I think they need to because they haven't got many options for all-rounders.
I pretty much agree with your assessment, although I'll be happy to be proven wrong.

But Australia will have bucketloads of patience with him, because they are obsessed with finding a Flintoff, in spite of the fact that were happily the top team for a decade or so without one.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Jeez, I think Australia must be favourites now.

Flintoff, Afridi, Pollock & Vettori to come...not exactly grafters, which is probably what the World teams needs right now.

Sangakkara must stay in and try and work with the hitters.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Bloody hell - Cricinfo's description of Pietersen's wicket called him "the danger man". In a team like this?!? Shows how much teams fear him in ODI cricket these days.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Pietersens lbw was pretty iffy. Taufel raised his finger pretty quickly considering he got hit on the knee roll, and Pietersen ain't that short!

Slow Love™

International Captain
Pietersen gone - another brave call from Taufel, who seems pretty determined not to call for assistance - replays suggest it was going over the top. Good delivery that nipped in from Watson.

World XI in some serious trouble - some good batting still to come, but the Aussies are well in command right now.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Slow Love™ said:
Pietersen gone - another brave call from Taufel, who seems pretty determined not to call for assistance - replays suggest it was going over the top. Good delivery that nipped in from Watson.

World XI in some serious trouble - some good batting still to come, but the Aussies are well in command right now.
Can't be bothered to trawl through all of the pages of posts, how much have the umpires used the third umpire?

I still believe that for height the decisions should be referred to the square leg umpire just as they are on occasion for bouncer height etc.

Beleg

International Regular
Oh, I think we will be finding out pretty soon. :) I also think you'll see a pretty pivotal shift in 'media' opinions if Peiterson fails to perform in this series.

shaka

International Regular
Lee drops Flintoff, another drop catch to the increasing phenomenon of Australian cricket

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Thankfully the Aussies have rehired their American fielding coach so their throwing and catching should improve

Slow Love™

International Captain
Scaly piscine said:
Can't be bothered to trawl through all of the pages of posts, how much have the umpires used the third umpire?

I still believe that for height the decisions should be referred to the square leg umpire just as they are on occasion for bouncer height etc.
I missed some of the Australian innings - but apart from run-out decisions, all I've seen so far was a referral to the third umpire for a possible nick (I think it was either Gilchrist or Katich, chasing a hook) through to the keeper.