• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Super Series

twctopcat

International Regular
I was always looking forward to the test more and now i hope Kallis beds in and gets a 6 session double hundred. Dravid and Kallis will do fine i'm sure but BCL is still looking a bit odd - i wonder how much he wants this really. I just can't wait to see how they all play Warne, Dravid and BCL vs Warne is mouth watering to say the least.

tooextracool

International Coach
social said:
What drugs are you on?

Aus had no meaningful practice before the Ashes.

However, they agreed to the scheduling and only have themselves to blame.
err playing an excessive number of ODIs before the ashes isnt enough practice then? australia had plenty of time to get any of that rustyness off them.

tooextracool

International Coach
social said:
Watson's selection is based purely on potential.

He's 24, averages nearly 50 in fc with the bat, is an outstanding fieldsman, and is rapidly improving with the ball. In summary, he's what Aus needs.

Compare him to Flintoff at the same age and Watson is miles ahead.
oh not the age old hes better than flintoff was at the same age argument. flintoff was garbage at the same age, and if being better than garbage makes you a quality player then really there isnt anything more to say.
watson maybe a capable batsman, but with the ball hes mediocre beyond doubt.

tooextracool

International Coach
greg said:
As an England fan, Kallis is the only batsman who i would definitely not wish to be in an opposing team.
probably because he had an extremely prolific series last time around while lara didnt. his record against england before that series was extremely modest.

jlo33692

U19 Debutant
tooextracool said:
probably because he had an extremely prolific series last time around while lara didnt. his record against england before that series was extremely modest.
Hey TEC here is a great chance for you to make a prediction BEFORE the test match ,rather than saying how bad every player ,and i mean EVERY player in both teams are.
Have a go at it,Give us what your teams will and should be,who will make what in your opinion,the outcome of the test. Then we will be able to disect your predictions and see how close you are to the actual result. Looking back through some of your posts you have said nearly every player in both teams are either overated,useless and not worthy of a test or ODI role or a ludicrus inclusion. So can you please nominate what you see happening in the test and we will look back next week and see how you went. I will be the first to congradulate you if you get anywhere near a correct prediction.
Ps i wish you would have predicted something of the ODI matches but unfortunatly you didnt untill after the teams played,which is a fairly easy thing in hind sight. Look forward to see how you go buddy . Should be pretty simple for someone of such wisdom hahahaha

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
oh no i dont deny that watson will never develop into anything as a bowler. i do however maintain that he is very very poor with the bal ATM, and as such does not merit selection in the side as a bowling or any type of all rounder.
I think the fact that he was the leading wicket taker in this series and had a good time of it in Pakistan for Australia A as well indicates that he's starting to improve again post-injury. In the third ODI in particular he really bowled quite decently... he was accurate, he moved the ball around a bit and took four wickets, and he bowled at decent pace and had some decent bouncers. He's certainly far from a test class bowling option, but if he can warrant his position with the bat (which I believe he definately can), he's a good option as a third seamer to allow MacGill into the team.

sqwerty

U19 Cricketer
tooextracool said:
oh not the age old hes better than flintoff was at the same age argument. flintoff was garbage at the same age, and if being better than garbage makes you a quality player then really there isnt anything more to say.
by stating that Flintoff was garbage at that age is only strengthening the argument against yourself

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
tooextracool said:
TEC, both he and Flintoff were originally picked on potential alone.

However, whilst Flintoff might have been garbage at the same age, Watson is a good enough bowler to win 2 MOM awards against a team comprising some of the world's best players and to ave 50 with the bat in fc cricket.

That, my friend, is a rare talent and precisely why Aus selectors have more faith in him than you do.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
BBC Sport website said:
Australia: Ricky Ponting (captain), Nathan Bracken, Michael Clarke, Adam Gilchrist, Michael Hussey, Brett Lee, Damien Martyn, Glenn McGrath, Andrew Symonds, Shane Watson, Cameron White. Supersub: James Hopes.

World XI: Shaun Pollock (captain), Rahul Dravid, Andrew Flintoff, Chris Gayle, Jacques Kallis, Brian Lara, Muttiah Muralitharan, Makhaya Ntini, Kumar Sangakkara, Virender Sehwag, Daniel Vettori. Supersub: James Hopes
Big day for the lad...... :p :D

jlo33692

U19 Debutant
OK Blow the sireen and ring the bells,The ODI series is over.:toot:

Have alittle celebration :drunk:

Congratulate the winners :hug:

look back at the losers :wheelchai

Listen to the reasons for the loss :nopity:

And charge forward,,,Into the future and beyond :horse:

Leave the rest behind (see back of horse)

and go on TV in America to talk about the great cricket team from Down Under :jerry:

Last edited:

venomous

Cricket Spectator
My team for the upcoming test match...if they took it seriously, then we ll sure witness tough test match competition, or else same results as ODIz..& that wld be..Aussies getting rid of them twice in an inning :)

G Smith
J Kallis (V Sehwag wldn't perform any better than him)
R Dravid
B Lara (his performance seems skeptical)
Inzy
A Flintoff
M Boucher
D Vettori
S Harmison
S Akhtar (his fitness seems skeptical)
M Muralitharan

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:

That's why he got man of the match twice for that very mediocre talent of his....beyond doubt for sure...what a joke :dry:

jlo33692

U19 Debutant
venomous said:
My team for the upcoming test match...if they took it seriously, then we ll sure witness tough test match competition, or else same results as ODIz..& that wld be..Aussies getting rid of them twice in an inning :)

G Smith
J Kallis (V Sehwag wldn't perform any better than him)
R Dravid
B Lara (his performance seems skeptical)
Inzy
A Flintoff
M Boucher
D Vettori
S Harmison
S Akhtar (his fitness seems skeptical)
M Muralitharan
Shame that Sangarkarar is not in the squad,bit of a mistake i think there ,I would be a bit concerned about Boucher keeping to Murilli,but hey Boucher is quite a competent glovesman and Batter.
Your team appears a bit sluggish 4 mine venomous with Smith, Kallis, Lara,Harmison,Muralli and inziman all in the same side and all no where near lightning in the field,I think that when they dropped Shoib for the last ODI was either for his poor bowling and stamina or rested him for the test,I suspect it was for poor form ,if thats the case he wont get a go in the Test side, I think they will lean towards pollock as he will give them 100% all day as opposed to 85% from shoib only for a few overs and when he feels like it. we will see soon enough though,My own team will have Sehwag in where you have Kallis and Kallis in where you have Inziman, i think inzi will be running out the drinks for the guys who wanted to play.

jlo33692

U19 Debutant
KaZoH0lic said:
That's why he got man of the match twice for that very mediocre talent of his....beyond doubt for sure...what a joke :dry:
Well said Mate...dont know if youll change his mind though but most agree with you
:cheers:

venomous

Cricket Spectator
jlo33692 said:
Shame that Sangarkarar is not in the squad,bit of a mistake i think there ,I would be a bit concerned about Boucher keeping to Murilli,but hey Boucher is quite a competent glovesman and Batter.
Your team appears a bit sluggish 4 mine venomous with Smith, Kallis, Lara,Harmison,Muralli and inziman all in the same side and all no where near lightning in the field,I think that when they dropped Shoib for the last ODI was either for his poor bowling and stamina or rested him for the test,I suspect it was for poor form ,if thats the case he wont get a go in the Test side, I think they will lean towards pollock as he will give them 100% all day as opposed to 85% from shoib only for a few overs and when he feels like it. we will see soon enough though,My own team will have Sehwag in where you have Kallis and Kallis in where you have Inziman, i think inzi will be running out the drinks for the guys who wanted to play.
And your pick seems pretty dull to me mate...Sehwag is totally out of form, i can hardly see him performing these days & with Kallis instead of him, eventhough he doesn't play as an opener, i do expect him performing well than Sehwag in test at any place...and Kallis bowls too which gives the team an option for the 6th bowler. Regarding Inzy, well his inclusion will definately make batting line-up strong, he's know for building vital innings in troublesome situation, so his inclusion will definately ace the batting line-up. And we do want to see a bit more different team than the ODIz, b/c if those ROW carried their ODI performance, then i surely expect Aussies getting them twice in an inning! :)

I do agree with you on Akhtar though...that's y i said in brackets with his name, if u missed reading it, "his fitness seems skeptical," he can harldy bowl 10 overs in an ODI match, so he perfomig on 6 day test match seems hard. But even Pollock didn't do that well & he doesn't have that much pace...so hard to pick 1 from both.