• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Super Series

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
cameeel said:
Watson has to be a chance for man of the series..

74 runs @ 37
8 wkts @ 20.6
word out conditions suit Australia so much but mind, the way they handled Freddie was just a revelation

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
At the risk of offending some of our SL friends, for mine, one of the best aspects of this series has been the re-introduction of Darrel Hair. He is still one of the best umpires in the world and substantially better than many we have been subjected to recently.

jlo33692

U19 Debutant
tooextracool said:
good god, how long will people realise the different between tests and ODI cricket?
when was the last time brian lara performed well for a consistent period in ODI cricket?
In this series he has performed consistently hasnt he?

Or did you mean consistently good?lol

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Hitting the roof should be 8 runs....
Hussey can do no wrong, honestly, someone up there likes him :D

greg

International Debutant
BoyBrumby said:
If you took away the not outs from Kallis's record I wonder if his average would look quite so healthy! :p He has to be the most selfish of the leading batters currently playing. Wonderful talent & all, but I find it v hard to warm to the bloke.
If you took out the little matter of 375 and 400NO in drawn matches at antigua... ;)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Prince EWS said:
But the fact is - he HASNT done better than Kallis has. Hes done marginally worse.

And you never asked me why Kallis should be picked ahead of Lara - you simply asked why I thought Kallis was better. As good as Lara is to watch, I always feel as though he very well could get out of the next ball he faces. I dont get the same feeling with Kallis, as his technique is superb. Hes under-rated severely by people on this board, and the notion that he is "selfish" simply stems from the fact that he cant up the anti when required. Hes not truely selfish, he just appears that way. Either way, it doesnt matter a great deal in a test match if you are selfish or not - it cant actually cause too many dramas.
What? under-rated? Are you kidding? Look at any post where its asked "Who are the top 5 test batsman right now" and Kallis is mentioned 99.9999999% of the time. People rate him, they just:
1) Don't think he's as good as Lara (Really, this shouldn't even be a question but whatever)
2) Believe he's selfish.

He's one of my all time favourite players, but its very hard to argue that he's not a selfish player. Very hard indeed.

Both are supreme test players, but Lara is far ahead the better player. He's better currently, was better 5 years ago and has always been the better player. You're entitled to your opinion, but you really don't have anything to back it up other than a miniscule 2 run better average and the idea that you reckon every ball Lara is likely to go out, whereas Kallis is. Considering Lara's record and long innings of the past, I find that hard to believe. Once he's set (that's an important factor mind you), he's the second hardest player in the world to get out IMO.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
JASON said:
After todays game Kallis has to be the number 1 player to be carrying the drinks with either Pollock or Akhtar. Considering Vettori will be needed to fill up the second spinning option although the SCG in the last few years has tended to favour seam at least in the intial 2 days of a Test.

But from what I heard on the TV commentary, the Skipper apparently picks the Team from the 13.

And Smith unlikely to drop even 1 and definitely not 2 of his countrymen ,given Dave Richardson and Jonty Rhodes put a lot of effort in getting 4 South Africans in to this Team(including Boucher) !! :D :D
JASON said:
Sadly Kallis is out of touch and he will definitely be dead weight for the Test Team as far as batting is concerned. The World XI is supposed to represent all the countries. At least thats one of the reasons given for the inclusion of Vettori over Kumble .

Carrying this argument on, As far as I can see, there is little between Harmison,Akhtar and Pollock.

And since there are too many south africans in the Team, some of them must carry the drinks, so that the World XI can be representative of all the countries.
Do you ever stop and read your posts before clicking 'submit'?

Kallis' test record, and form in the past 2 years is phenomenal. He, along with Dravid and Lara have easily been the 3 best test batsman in recent years. All deserve to make the team, and no one deserves to be dropped because of their ODI form. :wacko:

greg

International Debutant
Jono said:

Kallis' test record, and form in the past 2 years is phenomenal. He, along with Dravid and Lara have easily been the 3 best test batsman in recent years. All deserve to make the team, and no one deserves to be dropped because of their ODI form. :wacko:
As an England fan, Kallis is the only batsman who i would definitely not wish to be in an opposing team.

magsi23

U19 Debutant
Big Slap on Gavaskar and company's face for picking the incompetent team and captain, and will face the same sort of result in the super test as well, although it wouldnt have made alot of difference but Inzamam should have been included in the ODI side for sure and leaving him out of Test is gonna be another big mistake. and Afiridi and sehwag should have opened in all three games, batsman like Afridi cant do jack if he is batting at no.9-10, Sangakara prooved that selctors couldnt have been more wrong for not picking him in Test as well.

magsi23

U19 Debutant
Jono said:

How many players have u seen who have 2 different kind of forms, if your not in good form your just not whether ODI or Test. so if you think Kallis and Lara are going to score triple hundereds you couldnt be more wrong

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I liked that you specifically said triple hundreds, knowing the little probability of that. Otherwise, if you had said hundreds and one of them scored I'd gladly dig that post up later on for your benefit :)

Oh anyway in response to your question, what was Flintoff's form in the ODI series between England and Australia (and Bangladesh for the tri-series)?

How was his Ashes form?

:)

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I do not know if Kallis would be as comfortable versus Warne. In that regard I would want Inzamam over Kallis despite Kallis' phenomenal recent form. However, because of Inzamam's actions in the running to the super series, it would be fun to see Inzy as 12th man.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I have a feeling Lara will score some plenty of runs in the test match.

In any case the match promises to be of top quality which makes it a very exciting propsect.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Pratyush said:
I do not know if Kallis would be as comfortable versus Warne. In that regard I would want Inzamam over Kallis despite Kallis' phenomenal recent form. However, because of Inzamam's actions in the running to the super series, it would be fun to see Inzy as 12th man.
It would be hilarious to see him as 12th man, but the ICC have been handed an easy way out by the performances of Lara and Kallis if they want it. Going by previous form they will probably take it.

venomous

Cricket Spectator
Congrats! to Aussies on their win over World XI....11 best from around the world cldn't do anything againt them...pretty shameful :)....They surely dominate when it comes to the long-run cricket.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
I can't shake the feeling that the Test match wil be a different matter - congratulations to Australia, but a few of the World XI players (most notably Kallis, Lara, Dravid, and Pollock) have had their reputations severely dented by this humiliation, and should be aching to restore some pride in the Test. Kallis has taken some severe (and justified) stick, Lara has failed to convince for possibly the first time in his career, and Dravid hardly justified his late selection. The only ones who can emerge with any pride are Sangakkara, Vettori, Murali, Gayle, and Flintoff - the rest did not justify their high salaries for these games. They have a lot to prove in the Test.