• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

** Official ** Sri Lanka in New Zealand tour

brockley

International Captain
NZ not had a lot of luck the 3rd one dayer rained out between australia and nz,and the series called off with srilanka after 1 onedayer.
Also they are trying to get india to replace srilanka,but the indian board has said no,ie as they want match practice before the aussie series.Only 1 option left invite kenya to play a series of one dayers,only problem the players are on strike but its worth a shot they may be willing to come back with the lure of the dollar.

Richard Rash

U19 Cricketer
brockley said:
NZ not had a lot of luck the 3rd one dayer rained out between australia and nz,and the series called off with srilanka after 1 onedayer.
Also they are trying to get india to replace srilanka,but the indian board has said no,ie as they want match practice before the aussie series.Only 1 option left invite kenya to play a series of one dayers,only problem the players are on strike but its worth a shot they may be willing to come back with the lure of the dollar.

NZ cricket is not trying to get anyone accross. Instead they are using it as an opportunity for the elite players to go back and play for their provinces in an attempt at a rare opportunity to strengthen the domestic scene

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
While it was disappointing for NZ and International cricket in general, the correct decision was made .

Even though cricketers can't do much back in SL, they can try and raise funds for relief and reconstruction.

Continuing the tour would have left most of them distraught and unfocussed.

Good on Martin Snedden and NZ cricket and the ICC for making such a compassionate decision in allowing the tour to be cancelled !! :notworthy :notworthy

I guess for NZ the best way to fill the itinerary would be to either invite one of the other countries to fill the void.

I wonder if NZ should ask Cricket Australia a favour and play the Australian fringe Eleven. (ie Australian A team).

-----------------------------------------------------

Still in mourning for the victims of Tsunami :( :cry: :down:
Tsunami Death Toll in Eastern Sri Lanka (towns of Tricolnmalee, Batticaloa, Mullaitivu, Jaffna) expected to exceed 20,000 , Southern SriLanka death toll over 18,000 currently (towns of Galle, Matara).

Kent

State 12th Man
Richard Rash said:
Has anyone heard if sky are showing extra domestic games to cover the Sri Lanka series?
Everyone who wants that should make it known with an e-mail to cricket@skytv.co.nz or sky@skytv.co.nz.

There's a decent chance Sky will just take the cheap option of promoting the AUS v. PAK dead-rubber and then the VB Series & Australian Open tennis.

It's a bit disappointing because one of the appeals of paying for satellite TV should be the ability to choose. It's also interesting that a stuff.co.nz poll has domestic cricket almost as high as the VB Series in terms of public interest.

www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/poll/viewresults/1,1294,12496|1823,00.html?option_id=15980

Both are streets ahead of the Breakers, who Sky seem to have endless time for. Amazingly it doesn't seem to matter how many times they thrash ads with their own little homemade rap song - as long as the team is bottom of the table and the spectacle is nothing like the NBA, no-one cares!

Last edited:

bryce

International Regular
funny you mentioned that Kent i emailed sky a couple of days ago about that but they still haven't got back to me

Richard Rash

U19 Cricketer
Yes i think we should be able to maintain that number two ranking for some time. We are pretty much unbeatable at home in ODI's..although that might be debatable against Australia. We shall see.

Richard Rash

U19 Cricketer
I ,like Kent, urge every NZer on this forum to email sky t.v and although it's highly unlikely it will have any effect let them know we want more televised domestic cricket now that there is a big window for cricket where the Sri Lankan games would have been. sky@skytv.co.nz.
cricket@skytv.co.nz

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Since this tour is now off I wonder if the mods have forgotten to unclip this thread and the India in Bangla thread . :) :)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
cric_manic said:
i didnt think one odi win in a series would put us up to second,but it does
Every game counts doesn't it, and being a game against a high ranking and points side, then it's worth more, as well as SL's average dropping.

Kent

State 12th Man
Sri Lanka may tour in April
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3151269a10133,00.html

There may be a few light/dew issues in mid-April IMO, but I'd still love to see the season extended with tests at two of my favourite NZ venues. I think the Basin pitch against SA (late March) showed that decent playing surfaces won't necessarily be a problem.

This might be as close as the BCs will ever get to a 'five test series'. There's also the tempting thought that the longer the international season goes, the more chance Bond will have found form and built up stamina, ready for test cricket.

If this goes ahead I presume it'll be non-stop cricket for Styris and Fleming, heading straight into the English county season afterwards. Well, Styris hopes that's the case...;)

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
From what I've seen in recent seasons NZ seem to have the best weather in March-April.
Still... from my experiences of 2001\02 and last "summer"'s CT, I'm not entirely keen on autumnal cricket myself.

Kent

State 12th Man
Yes - after England at Eden park, it would be ironic if someone like Jayasuriya kept NZ fielding under McLean Park's lights. The Aussies grumbled about day-nighters there, and that was with a white ball. :)

This shows NZ's daylight at 5.30pm on April 15 - I'd say they'll have to look at 10am starts at the latest:

Attachments

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
SL to play Tests in NZ in April

I think it will be a great idea to have the two tests only. The ODIs can be played later at some other convenient time.

I guess going by the weather situation both Tests would have to be played in Auckland and Hamilton or Auckland and Wellington, as the south Island wather may not be conducive to cricket in April with possibly snow etc.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Kent said:
Yes - after England at Eden park, it would be ironic if someone like Jayasuriya kept NZ fielding under McLean Park's lights. The Aussies grumbled about day-nighters there, and that was with a white ball. :)
By the sounds of things it's now compulsary to leave the field when playing with a red-ball once the floodlights take prominence (ie when you can see them casting the shadows).
I, for one, though, wasn't actually complaining about the use of the lights at Eden Park in 2001\02 - other factors played a much larger part in costing us the match.