• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

** Official ** Sri Lanka in New Zealand tour

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
zinzan12 said:
Mills has just been announced as replacement for unfit Vettori
That's a slap in the face for Bruce Martin I suppose, although hearing Bond and Stead taking to him recently in a SC game, perhaps debuting him against the Lankans wouldn't have worked.

Martin's results in SL with the 'A' side this September probably looms as pivotal to his whole career. He'll finally be more than a bit part of an attack for once, on pitches where he can change the common perception of 'Vettori, Wiseman, and daylight third' if he's good enough.

Last edited:

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Kippax said:
That's a slap in the face for Bruce Martin I suppose, although hearing Bond and Stead taking to him recently in a SC game, perhaps debuting him against the Lankans wouldn't have worked.

Martin's results in SL with the 'A' side this September probably looms as pivotal to his whole career. He'll finally be more than a bit part of an attack for once, on pitches where he can change the comon perception of 'Vettori, Wiseman, and daylight third' if he's good enough.
Yeah neally forget about him, played with him for a while when he at Manly a couple years ago. Well maybe not played he was in 1st Grade and i was in 5th Grade, trained would be accurate. Looked like an ok bowler, didn't strike me as a future International bowler, but has been a regular for the NZ A Team since. I remember he got a hundred aganist SL A a while back, didn't take too many wickets from memory but.

psxpro

Banned
Woohoo, king Kyle is back.
Replace Chris martin, Kyle mills is a better batsman and without vettori, we might also need some lower order hitting power that mills offers.

psxpro

Banned
And leave Hamish where he is! hes doing well, and we could finally have found the no 3 we have looked for years. No 6 should be a aggressive player. Majority of batting line up needs to be aggressive. We already start slow with james marshall and especially cumming.

Darrin

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
**Official** Sri Lanka in New Zealand tour

anzac said:
I still don't understand why the selectors would want Fulton to open - they did so in his ODI appearance v BAN, and supposedly now in the warm up game.............particularly if they feel that he has back foot issues!!!!!!!!

I don't think he's opened in either 'A' or Nth v Sth games..............yet another example of the selectors stuffing a player around by playing them out of position in the Top of the order........yet not being prepared to touch senior players who are not performing in the middle order...............

by contrast AUS blood their 'newbies' at #5 / #6 no matter what their domestic credentials or State positions.............aren't Katich, Clarke & Hussey all top order players for their State teams in ODs at least????? and we know Boof used to Open at State level...............
Thats where there appears to be a problem at the top of the order, thats why. There appears to me that they are not willing to put him elsewhere because in there opinion there is no room. He does have as good a technique as anyone else, there is no reason why it can't work. All this rubbish about having issues on the back foot is exactly that, rubbish. Why did they select front-foot players like Papps, vincent, cumming and astle likes to plod forward as well. There is always inconsistencies with john-rules for some and different ones for others.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Darrin said:
Thats where there appears to be a problem at the top of the order, thats why. There appears to me that they are not willing to put him elsewhere because in there opinion there is no room. He does have as good a technique as anyone else, there is no reason why it can't work. All this rubbish about having issues on the back foot is exactly that, rubbish. Why did they select front-foot players like Papps, vincent, cumming and astle likes to plod forward as well. There is always inconsistencies with john-rules for some and different ones for others.
Someone said earlier there is a spot at number 6 that needs to be filled, maybe they should try him there, i.e let Vincent open and bring him at 6.

psxpro

Banned
chaminda_00 said:
Someone said earlier there is a spot at number 6 that needs to be filled, maybe they should try him there, i.e let Vincent open and bring him at 6.
No. Leave Vincent at 5 or even 6. He should never open. Imo he has the ability to be a very good and valuable middle order batsman for us if he plays naturally.

I would hate to see him opening. If anyone is going to move up to open, it should be mccullum, anyone else remember how well he played an inform Harminson?

Right arm fast

State Vice-Captain
if anyone does get moved to opener i think they should stik with b mcCullum because hes more proven in that place in the order

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Right arm fast said:
if anyone does get moved to opener i think they should stik with b mcCullum because hes more proven in that place in the order
It is too hard to keep and open if u want him to open then ur better off picking someone esle to keep.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
2 days to go.. btw Big props to prime television for showin the aus vs nz tests.. and i hope they show the nz vs sl matches on it too :)

Blaze

Banned
dinu23 said:
don't worry. that won't happen. only in your dreams. :p

no no I can think of much better things to dream about.. international cricket isn't that important to me in the greater scheme of things