• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in New Zealand 2015

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
nah in ODIs you need you give your best cake as many balls as possible. It was okay with baz opening becaise he rarely faced more than 30 balls. Now he's gone I don't think it's worth having latham eat up 10-20 overs at the top, we need to shift everyone up and shove some more icing in.
Sounds like we could be making a deal with the Dev.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
nah in ODIs you need you give your best cake as many balls as possible. It was okay with baz opening becaise he rarely faced more than 30 balls. Now he's gone I don't think it's worth having latham eat up 10-20 overs at the top, we need to shift everyone up and shove some more icing in.
Williamson and Guptill are an excellent combo at the top of the order because KW rotates the strike better than anyone and Guptill is in tremendous form, especially striking cleanly, at the moment.

On the other hand, KW and Taylor works brilliantly as 3 and 4. With KW at 3 with have insurance for one of our hitters not coming off at the top of the order. If we lose KW if the first 5 overs because of the swinging ball we're at a serious disadvantage.

Might be time to try Santner at the top of the order. You heard it here first.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
need to add a "while usually scoring more than 30 runs" filter to remove that possibility

another random thought on todays game is that Guptill is a really, really, really one dimensional hitter. He can pump down the ground, whack to leg if it's short, but he didn't even attempt anything different to the consistent yorker tactic. Needs to develop a ramp/paddle shot otherwise teams without 125kph half volley bowlers are going to have him on toast.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
1. Guptill
2. Santner
3. KW
4. Taylor
5. Elliott/Nicholls
6. Anderson
7. Ronchi
8. Milne
9. Southee
10. Henry
11. Boult

Might be the only way to get both Anderson and Santner in the team without losing out anywhere else.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Have him as a poor player of swing though, Santner. Also get the feeling Latham would be one of those guys who hates the nervous wait as a first drop.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Santner does have experience as an opener at List A level though, for those who weren't aware.

Last edited:

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Have him as a poor player of swing though, Santner. Also get the feeling Latham would be one of those guys who hates the nervous wait as a first drop.
Yeah obviously that's pretty crucial for an opener. But perhaps he could adapt. I rate him very, very highly as a batting prospect for the record. He's definitely wasted at 8. Ironically I don't rate his bowling much, if at all yet.

Howsie

International Captain
Yep, opened at club and A level for ND whilst coming up through the grades. Hardly the worst idea tbh.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
gonna get torn a new one by the latham lovers but I don't think he fits in our ODI side. Not capable of the big scores to justify eating up deliveries at the top of the order.

Flem274*

123/5
the world cup is years away. latham should be good enough by then to be a good ODI opener if NZ invest the games in him.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's easy to see why SL are ranked much higher than NZ in this format. They were well below their usual standards and still almost snatched the win despite losing a wicket every 2 overs on average.

They're far far better at executing yorkers than us, although this has always been a weakness of NZ sides, with only Boult really landing a couple of good ones today. As brilliant as Guptill was at the start, he really does need a plan B for when they start to cramp him with yorkers, will be interesting how he combats that at Eden Park, because there's little doubt that will be their tactic from the get-go next time around.

The other thing to note is SL gave away just 1 extra in the whole innings compared to NZ's 12 including 4 wides and 2 no-balls. I'll be surprised if the Lankan's don't get up to square the series on Sunday.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
These T20 rankings are more fickle than I thought, which I suppose makes sense given the few numbers of games played. If by some minor miracle NZ can win it's next 4 T20s (1 vs SL & 3 vs Pakistan), they will go to number 1 momentarily, although WI or Aust may go ahead of them one game later.