• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in New Zealand 2015

Gob

International Coach
Always felt Lara was a bit of a wanker. Had nothing against Sachin over the years apart from the temporary deafness he caught in 08

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
NZ supporters on this site are quite a bit like Indian supporters in real life

not surprised that when they actually get a decent player they go overboard. I reckon most of them actually believe the hype the spout as well.

Zinzan

NZ supporters on this site are quite a bit like Indian supporters in real life

not surprised that when they actually get a decent player they go overboard. I reckon most of them actually believe the hype the spout as well.

I don't let what other people think alter my opinion on players but i certainly think Williamson is getting massively over rated here.
Not sure it's much different to any batsman who was the stand-out across all forms in a particular calendar year, especially considering he faced both England & Aust attacks away.

Ironically if anyone's overrated him, it's was the Aust Channel 9 team & the greater Australian media who gushed over him like you would believe in the recent series, leading to this piece of utter sensationalism from the Sydney Morning Herald comparing him to Bradman... Is New Zealand batsman Kane Williamson better than Don Bradman? And this from Allan Border No Cookies | Fox Sports News, Live Sport, Sports | Fox Sports

We're relatively mild here in comparison.

Gob

International Coach
Not sure it's much different to any batsman who was the stand-out across all forms in a particular calendar year, especially considering he faced both England & Aust attacks away.

Ironically if anyone's overrated him, it's was the Aust Channel 9 team & the greater Australian media who gushed over him like you would believe in the recent series, leading to this piece of utter sensationalism from the Sydney Morning Herald comparing him to Bradman... Is New Zealand batsman Kane Williamson better than Don Bradman? And this from Allan Border No Cookies | Fox Sports News, Live Sport, Sports | Fox Sports

We're relatively mild here in comparison.
You can be good and you can still be over rated.

I think he is good in fact very good but lets stop comparing him to every Tom, Dick and Chappell until he gets some longevity going.

Zinzan

You can be good and you can still be over rated.

I think he is good in fact very good but lets stop comparing him to every Tom, Dick and Chappell until he gets some longevity going.
As I said, I'm not sure there's anymore hype here on CW (the point you specifically made), than there is anywhere else atm. I posted a couple from the Australia media above, the English raved about him in their summer and even the Boom-boom-umar-is-blackbradman PP forum spares plenty of hype for KW.

So yeah, it's possible he's overrated, but it seems to be a universal thing, not a specific cricketweb feen as you suggest.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

they could go the channel 10 route and show videos of backyard cricketers getting hit in the nuts during breaks

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Yeah he's no Steve Smith yet
I was about to bring this up actually. AB, Younis and maybe Amla are the only batsmen knocking around who can legit say they've 'arrived' at greatness and don't have that much left to prove. Smith and Williamson have a few years yet.

Gob

International Coach
As I said, I'm not sure there's anymore hype here on CW (the point you specifically made), than there is anywhere else atm. I posted a couple from the Australia media above, the English raved about him in their summer and even the Boom-boom-umar-is-blackbradman PP forum spares plenty of hype for KW.

So yeah, it's possible he's overrated, but it seems to be a universal thing, not a specific cricketweb feen as you suggest.
Dunno about that. I'm pretty sure i can do a simple google search on KW vs Virat and find out that large number of Indians on the internet would fancy Virat
but then again large number of people who post on internet are morons and this place is unique and different

I have no problem in people saying he is arguably the best batsman in the world but when it reaches the 'oh he'll be definitely better than Ponting' or 'will be the GOAT excluding Bradman territory, its annoying.

Flem274*

123/5
those people are kiwiviktor, a few drive bys and dan the australian having a troll though

It's generally accepted on here that kane is top five at worst, and is in the argument for #1 along with several others.

my favourite part about the chappell v kane debate is greg chappell would destabilise and drop himself to make way for the younger talent.

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Chappell would also point to Williamson as the exact example of his philosophy - they need to be played young, etc. etc.

As it's all about finding the next Williamson - but not every guy in the Test side is going to be your prodigy.

91Jmay

International Coach
The idea that Williamson is miles better than the next best batsmen in the world (be it Smith, Root, Warner or whoever) is plainly silly though. He is a class player in amazing form, but on this forum he is certainly over hyped.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
those people are kiwiviktor, a few drive bys and dan the australian having a troll though

It's generally accepted on here that kane is top five at worst, and is in the argument for #1 along with several others.

my favourite part about the chappell v kane debate is greg chappell would destabilise and drop himself to make way for the younger talent.
Fanboi more than troll, but whatever. You're accurate.

fishyguy

U19 12th Man
LOVE seein NZ doing so well.. Think both NZ and WI are everyone's second favourite team. Even more special considering the tiny population and the fact the country is rugby mad. However kinda concerned about the loss of McCullum. Don't like the idea of Kane Williamson taking over captaincy. too much of an introvert and completely different from McCullum. Not sure who would be a good fit. maybe Ross Taylor I guess but after getting F'd the first time don't know if he'll be keen for a second shot. I think the way to go would be to ideally have Boult and Southee fit for tests regardless and their 3rd and 4th seamers from the pool of Bracewell, Henry, Wagner. Milne cannot sustain test cricket and never will. Mclenaghan not ideal for tests better suited to ODI but you never know. Wonder if they have any other up and coming fast bowlers.