• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in India

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Anil said:
i thought you were joking....are you just pulling pratyush's leg or are you serious? :blink:
Since January 2000 SRT has played in 17 finals..and averages 31 with only 3 50s, 83 being the highest score against Kenya in 2003 WC SF(makes his avg. little respectable) other 2 50s are 69 vs. NZ & 74 vs, SL....during this period he averages 51 in matches other than finals..with 14 100s and 24 50s.

I am sure that's just a co-incidence. 8-) 8-)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah and how many times is he having to chase 300+ runs in those finals (along with the rest of the batsman by the way, who you seem to forget even exist when they fail 8-)) because of our crap bowlers?

Let me guess, it was his fault we lost the WC 2003 final, we lost the 2004 VB Series 2nd ODI final etc etc.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Jono said:
How are those examples of choking? Its examples of him failing, EVERY BATSMAN FAILS!

Look at this game you used for example (http://live.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2004-05/PAK_IN_IND/SCORECARDS/PAK_IND_ODI3_09APR2005.html).

Sehwag and Ganguly both scored less than Tendulkar, yet only Sachin is called the choker. Absolutely BS!
First of all Sourav and Veeru ( post 2003 WC) aren't the best guys you want to be compared with. The fact is that those two were the worst Indian batsmen since WC 2003.( And it is amusing to see how Gangs is considered a failure and Sehwag is an automatic selection)

Sourav and Sehwag have been failing consistently...SRT isn't.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Sanz said:
And it is amusing to see how Gangs is considered a failure and Sehwag is an automatic selection
Glad to see you're bringing back your Ganguly fanboyism. You shelved it a little when it was blatantly obvious he couldn't buy a run with his truck load of money, but its coming back. Why is Sehwag an automatic selection? Well he shouldn't be, but the reasons are obvious. He's younger, a better fielder, a better bowler and isn't a detriment to the team.

Anyway as far as I'm concerned I'm no longer going to plague 3 awesome wins by the Indian team by arguing with you over Sachin, you clearly have an agenda against him and despite telling Pratyush not to bother I get caught up in the same argument. So you have your fun.

One last thing though, instead of ignoring my posts above, explain to me how Sachin cost India the series against Australia in Australia back in 2004 during the Sydney test, please do because I'd like to see your reasoning.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Jono said:
Yeah and how many times is he having to chase 300+ runs in those finals (along with the rest of the batsman by the way, who you seem to forget even exist when they fail 8-)) because of our crap bowlers?

Let me guess, it was his fault we lost the WC 2003 final, we lost the 2004 VB Series 2nd ODI final etc etc.
Are you saying we can't chase 300+ runs ? or are you saying that it is okay to throw your wicket because our bowler have allowed 300+ runs ?

Here are couple of games we have won chasing...300+ scores

http://usa.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1997-98/OD_TOURNEYS/SJIC/IND_PAK_SJIC_ODI-FINAL3_18JAN1998.html

http://live.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE...ORECARDS/ENG_IND_NWS_ODI-FINAL_13JUL2002.html

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
World Choker XI
  1. Sehwag
  2. Graeme Smith
  3. Lara (Captain)
  4. Ponting
  5. Kallis
  6. Inzemaam
  7. Flintoff
  8. Sangakarra
  9. Dravid
  10. Fleming
    [*}Atapattu

Want statistical evidence ?

Ask and it shall be given :D

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Here is the Captain World record repeater Lara

Choking criteria (failure to scroe more than 25. (Change the criteria to a bit more and it becomes worse :@

Runs Pos Dismissal I *+ R Match

4 4 caught 4 L 2nd Test v Aus in Aus 1992/93 at Melbourne [1205]
14 3 bowled 2 L 1st Test v Ind in Ind 1994/95 at Mumbai [1274]
0 3 bowled 4
9 3 caught wk 3 L 1st Test v Aus in WI 1994/95 at Bridgetown [1294]
0 3 lbw 3 L 4th Test v Aus in WI 1994/95 at Kingston [1297]
6 3 lbw 2 L 2nd Test v Eng in Eng 1995 at Lord's [1299]
2 3 caught wk 2 L 2nd Test v Aus in Aus 1996/97 at Sydney [1343]
1 3 caught wk 4
9 4 caught 1 L 4th Test v Aus in Aus 1996/97 at Adelaide [1352]
3 4 caught 1 L 1st Test v Pak in Pak 1997/98 at Peshawar [1384]
15 4 bowled 1 L 2nd Test v Pak in Pak 1997/98 at Rawalpindi [1389]
1 4 caught 3
11 3 bowled 1 * L 1st Test v SA in SA 1998/99 at Johannesburg [1429]
7 3 lbw 3 *
4 3 caught 2 * L 2nd Test v SA in SA 1998/99 at Port Elizabeth [1433]
4 4 hit wick 2 * L 4th Test v SA in SA 1998/99 at Cape Town [1440]
14 4 lbw 4 * L 5th Test v SA in SA 1998/99 at Centurion [1441]
3 4 caught 4 * L 1st Test v Aus in WI 1998/99 at Port of Spain [1448]
7 4 lbw 4 * L 4th Test v Aus in WI 1998/99 at St John's [1454]
24 5 caught 1 * L 1st Test v NZ in NZ 1999/00 at Hamilton [1477]
1 4 caught wk 3 *
6 4 caught wk 1 L 2nd Test v Eng in Eng 2000 at Lord's [1503]
5 4 caught 3
4 4 lbw 1 L 4th Test v Eng in Eng 2000 at Leeds [1508]
2 4 lbw 3
0 4 bowled 2 L 5th Test v Eng in Eng 2000 at The Oval [1509]
0 3 caught wk 1 L 1st Test v Aus in Aus 2000/01 at Brisbane [1516]
4 3 caught wk 3
0 4 caught 1 L 2nd Test v Aus in Aus 2000/01 at Perth [1520]
17 5 bowled 3
16 4 caught 2 L 4th Test v Aus in Aus 2000/01 at Melbourne [1525]
0 4 bowled 4
12 4 caught 2 L 2nd Test v SA in WI 2000/01 at Port of Spain [1538]
0 5 lbw 4
19 4 caught 2 L 4th Test v SA in WI 2000/01 at St John's [1542]
14 8 lbw 2 * L 3rd Test v Aus in WI 2002/03 at Bridgetown [1643]
5 5 bowled 4 * L 1st Test v SA in SA 2003/04 at Johannesburg [1674]
11 4 caught 3 * L 2nd Test v SA in SA 2003/04 at Durban [1679]
6 4 lbw 3 * L 4th Test v SA in SA 2003/04 at Centurion [1682]
23 4 caught 1 * L 1st Test v Eng in WI 2003/04 at Kingston [1687]
0 5 caught 3 *
0 4 caught 1 * L 2nd Test v Eng in WI 2003/04 at Port of Spain [1690]
8 6 lbw 3 *
11 4 caught wk 2 * L 1st Test v Eng in Eng 2004 at Lord's [1707]
13 4 caught 4 * L 2nd Test v Eng in Eng 2004 at Birmingham [1708]
0 4 bowled 1 * L 3rd Test v Eng in Eng 2004 at Manchester [1711]
7 4 caught 3 *
15 4 caught 3 * L 4th Test v Eng in Eng 2004 at The Oval [1712]
4 4 bowled 3 L 2nd Test v SA in WI 2004/05 at Port of Spain [1747]
13 4 lbw 3 L 3rd Test v SA in WI 2004/05 at Bridgetown [1749]
0 4 caught wk 4 L 2nd Test v Pak in WI 2005 at Kingston [1754]
5 4 lbw 2 L Only Test v Aus in Aus 2005/06 at Sydney [1768]

Cricinfo has made it so easy for me to become a celeberated SAACC and I am loving it :p

SAACC = Self Appointed Arm Chair Critic

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Jono said:
Glad to see you're bringing back your Ganguly fanboyism. You shelved it a little when it was blatantly obvious he couldn't buy a run with his truck load of money, but its coming back.[
For the nth time..Ganguly doesn't deserve to be in the team, neither as a player nor as a captain and his exclusion is totally justified. I didn't bring Ganguly into the discussion, you did.I am not a ganguly fan but I am not a ganguly basher either and I hope you will notice my stand on this issue and give rest to your imaginations.

Why is Sehwag an automatic selection? Well he shouldn't be, but the reasons are obvious. He's younger, a better fielder, a better bowler and isn't a detriment to the team.
Sehwag is a better fielder and better bowler ? better than who, Ganguly ? Better fielder, maybe, better bowler - not in a million years. Can he make into the team as a bowler ? NO. He bowls around 3 overs on an avg., hardly the bowler the captain trusts. As for the 'detriment to the team' part - let's not go there, I have discussed it so many times and all I have heard is unfounded reports and accusations. If you have something other than the tabloid reports and hearsay then please share with us. I dont read tabloid stuff. Younger, Sehwag definately is..but so are Uthapa, Dhawan, Gambhir and many others...why not give a chance to them rather than have someone who has been averaging in 20s for last 2 years..

Anyway as far as I'm concerned I'm no longer going to plague 3 awesome wins by the Indian team by arguing with you over Sachin, you clearly have an agenda against him and despite telling Pratyush not to bother I get caught up in the same argument. So you have your fun.
Why would I have an agenda against anyone ? If you are not going to argue, fine but dont accuse me of juse because I have a different opinion. He fails more often than not in crucial games or pressure situation. If you think he performs well in pressure situations, then good for you. I have no intention of proving you wrong or atleast saying that you have an agenda in favor of him. If he can prove me wrong in the future then I will accept that I was wrong.

One last thing though, instead of ignoring my posts above, explain to me how Sachin cost India the series against Australia in Australia back in 2004 during the Sydney test, please do because I'd like to see your reasoning.
Laxman took almost 80 balls less than him to score 178 runs, even Parthiv Patel scored his 62 runs in 50 balls..but there was one guy..who wouldn't change the pace of his batting for anythin..

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Sanz said:
...and India won both the games, didn't it ??
Of course it is Tendulkar's fault India loses a game after he makes runs because the other batsmen cant score!

The games you are showing - whatever they are may show Tendulkar failing in specific matches.

Earlier you said he is a choker and was out because he could not handle the pressure of having to score 300 runs.

In the two games I showed, he does not get out early. So your theory again, is as hollow as ever.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Jono said:

Just imagine what would have happened if India was losing 3-0!

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
SJS said:
As far as I can see the top two spots for highest aggregate by keepers from both sides are :-

Thanks SJS.

In one day cricket was this the first instance?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Sanz said:
I guess it has to be Dravid and Chappell. I find it funny when people say that SRT has added this and he has added that...because SRT has been in the team for 16 years and was there in almost all the finals we lost in last 2 years. Tendulkar's presence is being overstated, as usual media overhyping things up.

Give credit where it is due. It's all Dravid and Chappell.
Hasn't Dravid been around in most of these finals as well?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
marc71178 said:
Alternatively, why don't they use him earlier in the innings and get someone else at the death?
I still think Bhajji could turn out to be our best death overs option, HONESTLY. Esp. on bigger grounds with 5 men in the deep. People will charge him like anything, and he can really get a few wickets cheaply in that situation with his doosra etc, or even caught in the deep. Of course, he could get smacked, but I don't see him doing worser than Pathan.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
If we are going to call Sachin a choker, then the entire Indian team is full of chokers too. No one has performed anything significantly better in finals either. It is too harsh to single out one man when the whole team has been collectively below par in finals.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Sanz said:
You can say whatever you want..IMO there was no pressure in the first 2 games...first game we were batting first, 2nd game chasing 122 in the subcontinent against SL bowling and you claim that there was pressure ??..are you really serious or just trying too hard to be funny..
No pressure in an international cricket match featuring India and Sri Lanka at the back drop of the Ganguly-Chappell controversy? :D

You are the one who is calling Tendulkar a selfish player, a choker, a person who cannot handle pressure and still calling him great.

So I think its very clear who is being silly (I wouldnt say funny) and creating flame in the forum.

Last edited:

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
OF course Tendulkar is a choker. Everyone is. I mean, look at Bradman. Only needed 4 runs to average 100 but was dismissed by an average spinner for 0! What a choker!

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Pratyush said:
In one day cricket was this the first instance?
Yes.

It has been a special year for wicket keeper batsmen in ODI's. With six centuries it is already the most prolific year for the men behind the stumps when performing in front of them.

Dhoni with two hundreds has become the second regular wicket keeper after Gilchrist and Stewart to score two odi centuries in one calendar year. I am not counting Dravid here who too has done it. (Gilchrist has done it for the 4th time including 3 centuries in 1998)

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Dasa said:
OF course Tendulkar is a choker. Everyone is. I mean, look at Bradman. Only needed 4 runs to average 100 but was dismissed by an average spinner for 0! What a choker!
8-) 8-) I find it so funny when people bring up this kind of argument to prove that SRT isn't a choker.

Why dont you explain it to me that since 2000 why does SRT avg. 25 in finals (that is all finals) half of his average in other matches.

Last edited: