• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in England

Anna

International Vice-Captain
Well it's not raining....although there are still lots of clouds about, it looks brighter over Edgbaston CG.

Xuhaib

International Coach
I am really enjoying this test series, its been like a boxing match where the bigger boxer keeps on pummeling the smaller guy but the smaller guy just dosent give up.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Neil Pickup said:
Forecast is actually reasonably dry - but cloud cover almost certain, and rain's been pelting the country for the last week - so it'll seam around, and yes, Vandort will get nothing.
Please promise me that you'll never ever do that again.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Beleg said:
I'll be tipping Sri Lanka to get a lead in excess of 180 tommorow.
Vandort and the bowlers left.

They'd do very well to get 150 or so, especially if there's a prompt start tomorrow with a new ball in the first half hour...

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I am getting a little annoyed with all this Panesar stuff at the moment.

Panesar is a decent bowler but guys on TV and in the press are going overboard about his bowling and action.

There is all this 'lets be nice to him because he tries hard' attitude with the commentators. There is pseudo-intelligent cricket analysis stating that he has such a wonderful and classic action. Its ********. I agree its pretty but it is far from perfect.

His arm and body action is fine but his head is in a horrible position at the time of delivery. His head is tilted back and his eyes are closer to vertical than horizontal.

It will be very difficult to achieve consistency if his eyes are so uneven and find it hard to visualize and hit a spot.

I have never seen a left arm orthodox bowler be cut so often. He drops it short far too often. If he could straighten his head then he will certainly pitch the ball up with more consistency and increase pressure on batsmen.

I’m not saying he is a bad bowler at all but it seems most analysis seems to overemphasis what he does well in order to offset his obvious weaknesses.

Autobahn

State 12th Man
Goughy said:
I am getting a little annoyed with all this Panesar stuff at the moment.

Panesar is a decent bowler but guys on TV and in the press are going overboard about his bowling and action.

There is all this 'lets be nice to him because he tries hard' attitude with the commentators. There is pseudo-intelligent cricket analysis stating that he has such a wonderful and classic action. Its ********. I agree its pretty but it is far from perfect.

His arm and body action is fine but his head is in a horrible position at the time of delivery. His head is tilted back and his eyes are closer to vertical than horizontal.

It will be very difficult to achieve consistency if his eyes are so uneven and find it hard to visualize and hit a spot.

I have never seen a left arm orthodox bowler be cut so often. He drops it short far too often. If he could straighten his head then he will certainly pitch the ball up with more consistency and increase pressure on batsmen.

I’m not saying he is a bad bowler at all but it seems most analysis seems to overemphasis what he does well in order to offset his obvious weaknesses.
Well that's a minor technical flaw to be fair which can be coached or corrected, and i'm sure at the start of many young spinners (remember he's only 24) careers they dropped it short too often, if he still does it 6 years down the line, then yes you could have a reasonable point.

And he does try hard, when you see him chasing a ball you can see easily, although he doesn't have a sportsman's body he is giving it his all.

Beleg

International Regular
Vandort and the bowlers left.
I'll change that to Vandort, Vaas and the bowlers left. I don't know about Kulasekra (sp?) but Mahroof was able to stick around for a while on a seaming wicket against Asif and co, Vandort looks in fine touch and Vaas is one of the most underrated lower-order batsmen around - lead of 180 certainly doesn't sound like an outlandish prediction to me.

Of course, they are also pretty likely to be rolled out within 100 if the luck (and conditions) goes England's way but I doubt that'll happen.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Autobahn said:
Well that's a minor technical flaw to be fair which can be coached or corrected, and i'm sure at the start of many young spinners (remember he's only 24) careers they dropped it short too often, if he still does it 6 years down the line, then yes you could have a reasonable point.

And he does try hard, when you see him chasing a ball you can see easily, although he doesn't have a sportsman's body he is giving it his all.
I agree that there is no need to panic. He is certainly a serviceable bowler who will get better.

But to pick-up on your points-

- It is not that minor a technical flaw. He has a very pretty action but his head position is a significant flaw,
- Test cricket is not the place to have technical issues corrected or coached out.
- 24 is not young in terms of technical development at all. 24+ a player should develop by gaining experience, understanding their game better, adding variations and becoming more comfortable with their role in the team. Technical issues should have been worked out long before 24.
- Trying hard is not a good enough reason for selection. Its just a mask to cover up certain inadequacies.

Im not saying he shouldnt be selected. If a spinner is to be chosen then I would pick him. However, the media seem to be sugar coating his performance and overhyping his flawed action.